F1 2017

Started by FoMoJo, March 26, 2017, 07:16:55 AM

FoMoJo

Looks to be a more competitive season...http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39396809

Wow, Ferrari are as fast as Mercedes
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

"Monster" F1 cars hitting peaks of 8G in Melbourne

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monster-f1-cars-hitting-peaks-of-8g-in-melbourne-886185/

QuoteDrivers are nearing 8G in the new-spec Formula 1 cars at Albert Park, with the high-downforce cars described as "brutal" and "monsters" following the first qualifying session of the season.

The unofficial Albert Park lap record was smashed today, Sebastian Vettel beating his old benchmark – set by the German back in qualifying for the 2011 Australian Grand Prix – for the first time during free practice 3, before Lewis Hamilton decimated it with his 1m22.188s in qualifying.

While shy of the much-touted five-second improvement over 2016 lap speeds, the cornering forces generated by the new cars raised plenty of eyebrows in the paddock.

"The cars are brutal to drive – we are not far from 8G with the peak in high corners – so it is pretty good fun," said Haas driver Romain Grosjean. "But it is hard on the body, it is hard on parts, it is hard on the cars.

"You better not miss the turning point on some places. The speed we go through the corners is insane compared to the past. You need to be more precise, more accurate, more on it, and the body gets a pretty tough time into some corners so it could be."

Polesitter Hamilton, now holder of the fastest ever lap at the Albert Park circuit, echoed Grosjean's sentiments about the new cars being more fun to drive than the previous generation cars.

"It is incredible," he said. "It is the best I have ever experienced here. The grip is fantastic, the aero makes such a drastic difference. You can push deep into the corners, it is amazing.

"I've not had the car skating around on the low grip tyres we have had in the past, so [it is] very exciting to drive."

"Real monsters"

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff added that tomorrow's race in the 'monster' cars will be a test of how well prepared the drivers are in terms of fitness.

"Those cars are real monsters," he said.

"I think you can see that on the onboard, the cornering speeds are very impressive and we will see tomorrow in the first race how physical they actually are and how much it takes out of the driver."

Williams driver Felipe Massa compared the cars to those from the 2008 season, adding that he was surprised times weren't even quicker compared to 2016.

"I really thought we would have been three seconds quicker," said the Brazilian. "I don't know; maybe the track is a bit slow.

"The car is a lot more fun to drive, more like 2008, which for me was quite high downforce. I think tomorrow we'll have an idea how it is for the show. I really hope it can be a nice race."

One side effect of the increased mid-corner speeds seems to be a 'lights out' effect at the limit, Lance Stroll, Daniel Ricciardo, and Jolyon Palmer among those to have been caught out by a sudden loss of grip so far this weekend.

According to Grosjean, the scope to slide the cars is very limited.

"They are done to function in a certain way of sliding, and soon as you go out of that you lose all the downforce," he said. "As the downforce is massively high then the drop is massively bigger, when it is gone, it is gone."

Max Verstappen, however, said it was the tyres making the cars difficult to catch in a slide.

"[The cars] are more stable through high speed corners," he said. "The only problem is when you lose it, it's more difficult to catch because of the wide tyres.

"It's difficult to get it back. That's the only thing. In general, when you keep it in the right track it is actually a lot more fun.

"Especially in qualifying when you go low fuel, they are really enjoyable to drive."
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Good race... I enjoyed watching a red car in victory lane
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Great season so far.  Fantastic to see Ferrari, Mercedes, and to a little lesser extent Red Bull so competitive.

Also LOL that Alonso is so disgruntled he is skipping Monaco for the Indy 500
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Galaxy

https://youtu.be/kpZ8q8l0HV4?t=98

Basically: I have a question, did my opponent cheat, and you did nothing about it?

:lol:

Char

... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Poor Schumi

On the bright side, unless the FIA managed to muck things up - 2018 should have Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, and MaClaren all with a reasonable chance to win on any given weekend.

That could be fantastic

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on December 07, 2017, 05:49:01 AM
Poor Schumi

On the bright side, unless the FIA managed to muck things up - 2018 should have Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, and MaClaren all with a reasonable chance to win on any given weekend.

That could be fantastic

There's only been 3 seasons in the last 30+ years where the world constructor's title wasn't decided before the final race (IIRC), I wouldn't hold my breath on that
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rich

Looks like 2018 is yet more competitive.  Hamilton's drive through the field Sunday was great to read about, and the clips of on track action were fun.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Char