RDX V6, Murano o Venza

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 26, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

12,000 RPM

Short list for wifey... we have time though

Any other ideas? Just want a roomy reliable 2 row with some punch for <$20K. Thought about the Q5 but it's borderline with reliability and I hate the center console. CR-V etc are too slow and common
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Crv or Escape probably. Forester?

I would definitely say no to both the Murano and Venza.

FoMoJo

Lots to choose from.  Might even check out some domestics or Euros.

I would think that something like this https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Edge-Columbia-d923_L31980#listing=170038820...would, pretty much, fit your bill; with less mileage though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

You could snag a nicely optioned CX-5 for that kinda dough.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 26, 2017, 10:06:30 AM
Lots to choose from.  Might even check out some domestics or Euros.

I would think that something like this https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Edge-Columbia-d923_L31980#listing=170038820...would, pretty much, fit your bill; with less mileage though.

The Edge is another one to consider, yeah -- respectable reliability record.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 26, 2017, 11:24:32 AM
CX-5 or CX-7

CX-7's are terrible about staying together. Avoid anything with that Mazda 2.3L

The CX-5 is sharp, but it's not as refined as the Murano et al.

The Murano, I would make sure you get a warranty with that CVT. My friend's Nissan Rogue's CVT auto actually failed on her two days ago.

RDX is a safe bet, but I would look for the V6 model, and not the Turbo cars.

Venza is a also a safe bet, but it's more like a station wagon rather than an SUV.

X3 is probably out of your price range, but it sells wildly for a reason.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on March 26, 2017, 09:37:23 AM
Crv or Escape probably. Forester?

I would definitely say no to both the Murano and Venza.
Why no Murano/Venza? I don't like anything in that whole CR-V class outside of maybe the Tuscon 1.6T/Sportage SX. All too ugly/generic/slow.

CX-7 is a complete turd reliability wise as well. I hope they make a new one though, with that 2.5T.

I want something about as refined as the G that splits the difference in speed between the G and the Rabbit.

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 26, 2017, 11:37:57 AM

Why no Murano/Venza? I don't like anything in that whole CR-V class outside of maybe the Tuscon 1.6T/Sportage SX. All too ugly/generic/slow.

CX-7 is a complete turd reliability wise as well. I hope they make a new one though, with that 2.5T.

I want something about as refined as the G that splits the difference in speed between the G and the Rabbit.

I just never liked the looks of the murano or venza. I hear you on the CRV class, if I'm honest something like the CRV would probably be the ideal car for my gf but I don't think I could bring myself to buy one. I think looks wise, the escape is probably my favorite in that group but I think the CRV is a better product.

2o6

CALL_911

RDX

Though I'd probably go for a CX5

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

I hated the Venza when I drove it, though that was built with previous-generation Camry guts.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 26, 2017, 01:17:03 PM
RDX

Though I'd probably go for a CX5
Blegh. Mazda is the right answer online, but unless it's followed by "MX-5 Miata" or "CX-9" it's the wrong answer in real life. They're not particularly roomy, they are a little expensive, and the engines suck.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on March 26, 2017, 01:18:07 PM
I hated the Venza when I drove it, though that was built with previous-generation Camry guts.
What didn't you like about it? For whatever it's worth, I liked how the Genesis and Maxima drove. Not scintillating or full of feel, but dynamically competent.

Laconian

Are you and the missus planning on making sporty babbies anytime soon? I would probably purchase a car based on how well it takes the baby and its massive throne, which isn't easily answered by a spec sheet. Things like how wide the rear doors open, how easily cleanable the fabric is, how easy the LATCH hooks are to work with, etc. etc.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 26, 2017, 02:17:19 PM
What didn't you like about it? For whatever it's worth, I liked how the Genesis and Maxima drove. Not scintillating or full of feel, but dynamically competent.

Oh my god, the steering ratio was the among the worst I've ever encountered. Infinity plus one turns from lock to lock. And woefully underpowered for the heft of the car.

This was back in 2011, things are probably (?) different now.

Laconian

Why isn't the Outback on this list? IMO it's one of the perfect cars. Great road manners, great fuel economy (for what it is), with the lowest TCO of all the SUVs according to CR.

Are you looking at FWD SUVs or AWD only? AWD is pretty superfluous in your climate, no? FWD SUVs don't sell worth a damn in the PNW or the Rockies.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

12,000 RPM

I'm looking at FWD + V6 only. With DWS06s, all conditions are possible.™ Plus my new rule is more cylinders than tires. Every time I start the G I smile. So only 4s I want to deal with are in motorcycles.

As for kids, we are trying :) Not as easy as I thought it would be. Anyway I think the CR-V class would be better for kids in parking lots and shit, but these 3 have nice big back seats. Wifey has something like a 33" inseam so the extra room would be welcomed + a priority. Big thing will be how she takes to driving something so much bigger than the Rabbit.... but she drives her mom's van which is bigger than all these things no problem.

FoMoJo

How about a Volvo XC60 a couple of years old, I6 though.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 26, 2017, 03:28:50 PM
I'm looking at FWD + V6 only. With DWS06s, all conditions are possible.™ Plus my new rule is more cylinders than tires. Every time I start the G I smile. So only 4s I want to deal with are in motorcycles.

This is for your wife, though. Is the tradeoff between power and economy worth it to her? Or is she really anal retentive about NVH?

As for kids, we are trying :) Not as easy as I thought it would be.

OK. I'm not looking to pry, but knowing the timeline is important for making a recommendation.

12,000 RPM

Well the Rabbit gets pretty abysmal gas mileage, so she is kind of used to it. I suppose we can look at CR-Vs and the like out of due diligence. I do really like the Sportage

veeman

Chevy Equinox is actually a pretty nice car.  The second generation can be had with a 6 cylinder.  My father has a FWD 4 cylinder one which I like.  Not as nice as a CRV but probably can get a better
deal and they're reliable.

MX793

I had a newer Edge as a rental last winter and it was decent.  Really sporty steering.  The 2.0T, even saddled by AWD, seemed potent enough.  Wide passenger cabin as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2017, 09:25:45 AM
CPO XC90 or X3?
No

Volvo <> reliable

328I rental turned me off from current gen BMWs. Plus X3 looks like a RAV4. Cannot unsee

I will check out the Edge. Just scared of old SYNC system and from what I remember the center stack is ugly. Just looks dated in general

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 27, 2017, 12:08:22 PM
No

Volvo <> reliable

328I rental turned me off from current gen BMWs. Plus X3 looks like a RAV4. Cannot unsee

I will check out the Edge. Just scared of old SYNC system and from what I remember the center stack is ugly. Just looks dated in general

I posted a link to one.  I'm pretty sure the 2015 has the new sync and center stack design
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no