What would it take for you to give up car ownership for ride sharing?

Started by 12,000 RPM, April 12, 2017, 02:32:21 PM

12,000 RPM

Is there anything? I still think fully autonomous vehicles fit for public use and purchase are decades away, but as someone already used to public transportation I think if there were some kind of autonomous "Uber" that compared in cost to ownership I'd be down. Especially if there were cost savings and available track days. What would it take for you? Or is it completely non-negotiable?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

BimmerM3

Where I live right now, I don't think there's anything. I actually can take Uber rides into the mountains, but they're not cheap. And getting someone to pick me up from some random trailhead would probably be difficult to say the least.

If I lived somewhere with awful traffic and pretty good public transportation like NYC or DC (which I personally wouldn't, but for the sake of the thread), I would consider selling my cars and taking Uber/Lyft when necessary.

2o6

Not possible. I value control and autonomy. Ride sharing can't touch that.

12,000 RPM

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 12, 2017, 05:13:07 PM
Do you not fly? Aren't you a plane mechanic? :lol:

I fly a desk. But yeah I flew a lot, but I'm still an in control freak.

Lebowski

Outside of majorly dense cities like NYC where many people already don't have a car, it doesn't make sense and will never happen on a wide scale imo.

Uber is great for certain things but is not gonna replace my car. Also calling uber "ride sharing" for the most part is a misnomer.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Where I live?  No fucking way.  Giving up my truck would mean never being able to haul anything, never being able to go off road, never being able to take it camping...fuck that shit.  Giving up vehicles is for city folk and city folk only.  And my profession, detailing cars, would be super weird if I didn't have my own vehicle.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

I could do it where I live, but I like to drive. I would like it if *other* people switched to car sharing, though. :lol:

I think that dynamically dispatched shuttles are the way to go. You get the economies of scale of bus service, with the flexibility of livery pickup. Maybe even better than buses, as vehicles could be added to or removed from the fleet in response to real time demand. Buses are obligated to meet their schedule obligations.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Also, an "autonomous Uber" that's equal to the cost of ownership of your own vehicle is a ripoff.  Why would I want to pay the same amount of money for something I can't truly control, is used by other people, and doesn't live in my driveway?  Bleh.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2017, 10:04:56 PM
Also, an "autonomous Uber" that's equal to the cost of ownership of your own vehicle is a ripoff.  Why would I want to pay the same amount of money for something I can't truly control, is used by other people, and doesn't live in my driveway?  Bleh.

In downtown Seattle, parking is a big additional expense. Parking spots at home add hundreds of dollars to your rent, and parking spaces at your work cost hundreds more. Street parking? $$$ too. :rage:

CaminoRacer

And doesn't have all the convenience of your own personal storage space for charging cables, packs of gum, work id passes, etc.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on April 12, 2017, 10:07:49 PM
In downtown Seattle, parking is a big additional expense. Parking spots at home add hundreds of dollars to your rent, and parking spaces at your work cost hundreds more. Street parking? $$$ too. :rage:

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2017, 08:40:06 PM
Giving up vehicles is for city folk and city folk only.

Still, if an "autonomous Uber" costs the same as an owned vehicle's insurance+fuel+etc...still a ripoff.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2017, 10:10:27 PM
Still, if an "autonomous Uber" costs the same as an owned vehicle's insurance+fuel+etc...still a ripoff.

For sure. Most people who give up personal motor vehicles primarily walk, bike, or use public transit. Uber/Lyft/taxis are more of a supplement.

Laconian

$2.50 during peak hours. A card cuts down on the price by quite a bit.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on April 12, 2017, 11:16:18 PM
$2.50 during peak hours. A card cuts down on the price by quite a bit.

I took UberPool to work because it was $3.70 each way as opposed to $2.25 and cut off 30-40 minutes from the commute and allowed me the indignity of being on a public bus. Totally worth it. Being on a public bus is an atrocity on par with human trafficking.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on April 12, 2017, 11:45:46 PM
$3.70 is pretty good.

Yeah. And I was usually early enough that if I ever had a co-passenger, it was usually another law student.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2017, 11:27:29 PM
I took UberPool to work because it was $3.70 each way as opposed to $2.25 and cut off 30-40 minutes from the commute and allowed me the indignity of being on a public bus. Totally worth it. Being on a public bus is an atrocity on par with human trafficking.
Human trafficking? O toughen up

OK so we've established that it wouldn't work for the Ted Bundys of the forum :lol: I kid I kid. But obviously it's better for urbanites. It's also gotta come at a steep discount to car ownership. So how much cheaper are we talking?

I'm not seeing the big deal about convenience. The time between you hailing an Uber to it getting to your door is like 5 minutes. It takes people longer than that to say bye to everyone at a party, let alone get ready for work. Plus once you get to wherever you're going you don't have to deal with parking, which in even a half ass city like Nashville is huge. Shit adds up

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 13, 2017, 05:11:32 AM
Human trafficking? O toughen up

OK so we've established that it wouldn't work for the Ted Bundys of the forum :lol: I kid I kid. But obviously it's better for urbanites. It's also gotta come at a steep discount to car ownership. So how much cheaper are we talking?

I'm not seeing the big deal about convenience. The time between you hailing an Uber to it getting to your door is like 5 minutes. It takes people longer than that to say bye to everyone at a party, let alone get ready for work. Plus once you get to wherever you're going you don't have to deal with parking, which in even a half ass city like Nashville is huge. Shit adds up

A 15 minute commute doesn't seem like a big deal compared to a 45 minute one?

Also, you're clearly not a Parks and Rec fan.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

I don't even let people borrow my cameras, lights etc. because I see how poorly people treat their own stuff. Car sharing is out for me. I'd never allow my car to be driven by strangers.

People treat your property like crap, which means they'll abuse your car in ways I don't want to think about and perhaps park in the wrong areas. Even worse, this being Europe, where literally 99.9% of people commit slow suicide (smoking), a potential car sharer might smoke in my car (they think by opening the windows and spraying Febreeze that I won't notice...). No thanks.

My stuff lasts long because I treat it right. I'm not part of this consumer society that disposes of brand new products after a few months/years because they want the successor model...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

It's pretty easy to make an economic case for using Uber over owning your car. Then again, basically no one here views owning a car from a purely economic perspective.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 13, 2017, 05:21:36 AM
A 15 minute commute doesn't seem like a big deal compared to a 45 minute one?

Also, you're clearly not a Parks and Rec fan.
An autonomous ride would have an optimized route that would be a lot shorter than whatever they do on the bus.

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 13, 2017, 06:56:03 AM
It's pretty easy to make an economic case for using Uber over owning your car. Then again, basically no one here views owning a car from a purely economic perspective.

I don't agree. In my area, Uber would surpass a car payment, gas, insurance in about a week.