BMW Says The Days Of Manuals And DCTs Are Numbered

Started by cawimmer430, April 24, 2017, 07:43:38 AM

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on April 24, 2017, 09:04:31 AM
Well, if the goal it to chase ever higher performance and efficiency, manuals are definitely on the way out.

DCTs are interesting but it'd be mega complicated to make them have the smoothness and driveability of a slushie AT.

The 8 sp ZF slushie was the tipping point and the new GM/Ford 10 sp AT in the ZL1 looks to be the beginning of the end.

Bingo. But by what metric? Is the added weight, complexity, and cost of repair worth it in exchange for the 1-2mpg improvement in EPA-cycle testing?

Why shouldn't our goal be to build a simple, robust, cheap-to-repair transmission that also gets decent mileage? You know, like a manual...

I think it has way more to do with market demand. There's not enough people who know how to drive stick or have the desire to learn.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Tave on April 28, 2017, 01:46:07 PM
Bingo. But by what metric? Is the added weight, complexity, and cost of repair worth it in exchange for the 1-2mpg improvement in EPA-cycle testing?

Why shouldn't our goal be to build a simple, robust, cheap-to-repair transmission that also gets decent mileage? You know, like a manual...

I think it has way more to do with market demand. There's not enough people who know how to drive stick or have the desire to learn.

Ain't that the truth. My manual transmission weighs half as much as an old automatic - probably 1/3 as much as a new auto.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 28, 2017, 01:57:41 PM
Ain't that the truth. My manual transmission weighs half as much as an old automatic - probably 1/3 as much as a new auto.
Old auto, sure. New auto, sincerely doubt it. That gap has been pretty much closed.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 30, 2017, 09:06:36 PM
Old auto, sure. New auto, sincerely doubt it. That gap has been pretty much closed.

Weight? 10 speed auto has gotta be YUUUUGGGGEEE

68_427

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 30, 2017, 09:37:12 PM
Weight? 10 speed auto has gotta be YUUUUGGGGEEE

It's about the same size as their old 6 speed
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 68_427 on April 30, 2017, 09:46:52 PM
It's about the same size as their old 6 speed

Huh, nice. Okay, so only twice as heavy

68_427

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 30, 2017, 10:20:50 PM
Huh, nice. Okay, so only twice as heavy

It's like 220-230lbs.  At least the version in the Raptor is.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Yea new autos are small. Thank you based metallurgy

Tave

Small? The six speed in my Miata is probably only like 70 pounds. The big beefy Tremec 7spd GM is pairing with the 8 and 10spd autos is a svelte 140 pounds.

A ~100 pound weight savings on a single part is absolutely enormous. And not only is the manual lighter; it's cheaper to maintain, cheaper to repair, less likely to fail, and carries little-to-no real world performance penalty. From an object engineering costs standpoint, it's a no-brainer. But people by and large will pay a premium to deal with the added complexity because they value transmission automation highly.

With the advent of widespread electric cars and fully autonomous driving, I predict the AT to be a dead-end itself, anyways.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

r0tor

Yea, traditional manuals are much heavier then manuals and DCT's and also manuals typically don't have transmission cooler that further adds to the weight and also thermal issues.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Quote from: Tave on May 01, 2017, 07:41:22 AM
Small? The six speed in my Miata is probably only like 70 pounds. The big beefy Tremec 7spd GM is pairing with the 8 and 10spd autos is a svelte 140 pounds.

A ~100 pound weight savings on a single part is absolutely enormous. And not only is the manual lighter; it's cheaper to maintain, cheaper to repair, less likely to fail, and carries little-to-no real world performance penalty. From an object engineering costs standpoint, it's a no-brainer. But people by and large will pay a premium to deal with the added complexity because they value transmission automation highly.

With the advent of widespread electric cars and fully autonomous driving, I predict the AT to be a dead-end itself, anyways.

😂  Come on man. The Miata transmission has to handle about 170lb/ft. Those GM transmissions handle 700. I think transmissions in general weigh a bit more than that too

I agree with the rest.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

I've had more problems with manual transmissions (mostly used) than automatics to be honest. Adding that human factor makes reliability more of a question mark; plus everyone knows the clutch is a wear item.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

Quote from: Rich on May 01, 2017, 09:34:14 AM
😂  Come on man. The Miata transmission has to handle about 170lb/ft. Those GM transmissions handle 700. I think transmissions in general weigh a bit more than that too

I agree with the rest.

Don't c'mon man me, I quoted the weight of the Tremec 7spd that handles the same power, and GM/Ford will cram the 8 spd ZF or the new 10 spd into any and everything they can if people are willing to pay for it, regardless of power output.

CaminoRacer

Most modern manuals are gonna be in between the Miata's and the GM 7 speed. Like 100 lbs probably. Light enough for one guy to install it, versus a guaranteed two man job for an automatic.

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2017, 09:45:26 AM
I've had more problems with manual transmissions (mostly used) than automatics to be honest. Adding that human factor makes reliability more of a question mark; plus everyone knows the clutch is a wear item.

I've had to replace a few clutches as well, but they have a fairly predictable service life and are relatively inexpensive. Never had any synchro or gear issues but I've known a couple people who have. Mind you, I can count them on one hand, while I've heard of so many people replacing or rebuilding their automatic that I'm honestly not sure if it's in the hundreds or thousands. That anecdotal experience seems to be backed up by the numbers, although admittedly the newest autos might have taken a quantum leap forward in reliability and we won't know until 5-10 yrs down the road when the data is in.

2o6

Yeah, even CVT autos are somehow starting to become fairly reliable.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on May 01, 2017, 11:00:28 AM
I've had to replace a few clutches as well, but they have a fairly predictable service life and are relatively inexpensive. Never had any synchro or gear issues but I've known a couple people who have. Mind you, I can count them on one hand, while I've heard of so many people replacing or rebuilding their automatic that I'm honestly not sure if it's in the hundreds or thousands. That anecdotal experience seems to be backed up by the numbers, although admittedly the newest autos might have taken a quantum leap forward in reliability and we won't know until 5-10 yrs down the road when the data is in.

Part of that is that there are so many more automatics in service. Just my experience of course, but all in all, when considering clutch service and linkage/cable issues, the automatics are maybe slightly less troublesome.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I think modern automatics are as, if not more reliable than manuals when you factor in the clutch. Between economy of scale and general design/manufacturing/metallurgy advances there's really nothing to fear in an automatic anymore IMO. It's now to the point where all we can ding them for is less than perfect shift quality/programming (i.e. ZF 9AT)

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 01, 2017, 02:18:13 PM
I think modern automatics are as, if not more reliable than manuals when you factor in the clutch. Between economy of scale and general design/manufacturing/metallurgy advances there's really nothing to fear in an automatic anymore IMO. It's now to the point where all we can ding them for is less than perfect shift quality/programming (i.e. ZF 9AT)
My ZF 9 shifts perfectly. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

3 of my 4 cars have had transmission problems. :mask: :lol:

To be fair the newest of those 3 was 23 years old when I bought it...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

I've had a variety of 7spd+ autos as rentals lately and good gracious they've been absolutely miserable in terms of smoothness and anticipation. Laughable really.

I have no doubt that a few companies have programmed the ZF8spd to be as silky as advertised, but I'm wondering if that's going to prove the exception rather than the rule. It seems like the average auto has taken a quantum leap backwards in areas that were traditional strong suits.

12,000 RPM

The 7AT in the G is worse than good. Thankfully it has enough HP and aggression in the programming to over come that. But yea, ZF8 is in another league.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2017, 11:26:57 AM
The 7AT in the G is worse than good. Thankfully it has enough HP and aggression in the programming to over come that. But yea, ZF8 is in another league.

I think the programming is as important as the hardware. I've driven the ZF 8-speed in a few BMW's and Audi's and it didn't seem like much to write home about. Smooth enough but not particularly responsive (compared to DSG/DCT). Supposedly the Guilia shifts much quicker though.

cawimmer430

Random question about automatics - what's the best way to wear them out quickly?

Because I do what I can to prolong the transmission life in my car - and I hope what I am doing will help keep it functional for a long period of time. For example, instead of keeping it in "D" 24/7 during long city/traffic stops, I always shift into "N" like you would in with a manual transmission in those situations.

Is that advisable?

I do this because I feel that keeping it in "D" means...

1) Less wear and tear on the brakes...

2) Less wear and tear on the driveshaft...

Of course my constant high-speed Autobahn speeding probably isn't doing the transmission life any favors, but so far it's holding up fine.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Yea I don't know that shifting into N does anything. Might actually be worse than leaving it alone.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2017, 01:28:14 PM
Yea I don't know that shifting into N does anything. Might actually be worse than leaving it alone.

But when I keep it in "D" I feel that I am unnecessarily causing wear and tear on some components. Shifting into "N" leads me to think that I am doing the components a favor because the driveshaft isn't turning and the brakes don't have to stop wheels that would be attempting to rotate.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 09, 2017, 01:07:25 PM
Random question about automatics - what's the best way to wear them out quickly?

Because I do what I can to prolong the transmission life in my car - and I hope what I am doing will help keep it functional for a long period of time. For example, instead of keeping it in "D" 24/7 during long city/traffic stops, I always shift into "N" like you would in with a manual transmission in those situations.

Is that advisable?

I do this because I feel that keeping it in "D" means...

1) Less wear and tear on the brakes...

2) Less wear and tear on the driveshaft...

Of course my constant high-speed Autobahn speeding probably isn't doing the transmission life any favors, but so far it's holding up fine.

Doing what you are doing--dropping the car into D from N while driving--is the best way to wear it out quickly. It's pretty much the only way you as the driver can damage an auto other than excessive torque-brake launching.

Holding a stationary car at rest causes no additional wear and tear on your brakes.

By trying to fix an imaginary problem you're risking serious damage to the tranmission.

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 09, 2017, 01:32:12 PM
But when I keep it in "D" I feel that I am unnecessarily causing wear and tear on some components. Shifting into "N" leads me to think that I am doing the components a favor because the driveshaft isn't turning and the brakes don't have to stop wheels that would be attempting to rotate.

You aren't really preserving anything by doing that. Get one of those autostart/autostop vehicles.

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 09, 2017, 01:07:20 PM
I think the programming is as important as the hardware. I've driven the ZF 8-speed in a few BMW's and Audi's and it didn't seem like much to write home about. Smooth enough but not particularly responsive (compared to DSG/DCT). Supposedly the Guilia shifts much quicker though.

In a slushie AT however, programming is limited by the hardware. Slushies work on pressures and actuators/solenoids and fluid bodies and clutches, and to support more aggressive/responsive programming the corresponding elements have to more aggressive/responsive (stronger, higher quality, quicker, etc.).

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 09, 2017, 01:32:12 PM

In theory you'll actually cause more wear by doing that. When you sit in D at a standstill there is no wear on brakes or drive shaft as the engine just spins against the torque converter. When you shift to/from N you actually engage clutches, and in theory that causes a minute amount of wear. In reality though, neither method will cause more wear than the other, but it's simply less hassle to just leave the car in D.