BMW Says The Days Of Manuals And DCTs Are Numbered

Started by cawimmer430, April 24, 2017, 07:43:38 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on August 09, 2017, 02:48:03 PM
In theory you'll actually cause more wear by doing that. When you sit in D at a standstill there is no wear on brakes or drive shaft as the engine just spins against the torque converter. When you shift to/from N you actually engage clutches, and in theory that causes a minute amount of wear. In reality though, neither method will cause more wear than the other, but it's simply less hassle to just leave the car in D.

makes good sense- only time I've heard of shifting to N is in snow/ ice while trying to stop, which helps control a bit. 
Will

Tave

In theory you'll actually cause more wear by doing that. When you sit in D at a standstill there is no wear on brakes or drive shaft as the engine just spins against the torque converter. When you shift to/from N you actually engage clutches, and in theory that causes a minute amount of wear. In reality though, neither method will cause more wear than the other, but it's simply less hassle to just leave the car in D.

Also, if he slips up on his timing and loads the engine before shifting back into D, it has the potential for more serious damage.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

I had an Uber driver who would constantly put his car in "N" at every stoplight.  I bet he thought he was getting better gas mileage or preserving the transmission or something, but all it did was cause that annoying engagement jerk every time he would put it back in "D".  And this was in Chicago, where you aren't going longer than a block without a red light.

r0tor

In theory you can probably get a miniscule fuel efficiency gain by shifting into neutral.  Leaving it in drive and letting the trans spin against the torque converter does put a tiny bit more load on the engine then the trans in neutral. 

This is actually an advantage of a DCT with fuel mileage - you can engage the clutch while coasting and while stopped to reduce engine load
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Cookie Monster

I shift to neutral sometimes in an automatic car just so I don't have to hold the brakes at a stop light.

I'm so lazy. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on August 09, 2017, 01:41:20 PM
Doing what you are doing--dropping the car into D from N while driving--is the best way to wear it out quickly. It's pretty much the only way you as the driver can damage an auto other than excessive torque-brake launching.

Holding a stationary car at rest causes no additional wear and tear on your brakes.

By trying to fix an imaginary problem you're risking serious damage to the tranmission.

Thank you. I will condition myself to keep it in "D" from now on. It really is was an imaginary problem!

Quote from: shp4man on August 09, 2017, 01:42:14 PM
You aren't really preserving anything by doing that. Get one of those autostart/autostop vehicles.

Call me old fashioned, but I really don't like the feeling of Start-Stop. I've ridden in some cars and I found it really annoying when the engine would stop and start. The last time I rode in one such car was with Colin in a 2017 Range Rover diesel. He turned it off because he also found it annoying!  :thumbsup:

Plus, wouldn't Start-Stop be something that really wears and tears on the mechanical components?

Great info and advice.  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

93JC

Quote from: Xer0 on August 09, 2017, 03:23:34 PM
I had an Uber driver who would constantly put his car in "N" at every stoplight.  I bet he thought he was getting better gas mileage or preserving the transmission or something, but all it did was cause that annoying engagement jerk every time he would put it back in "D".  And this was in Chicago, where you aren't going longer than a block without a red light.

I had a cab in Vegas who'd put in in PARK every time he came to a stop in bumper-to-bumper traffic! Crawl forward, stop, put in Park, wait for eight seconds, put in Drive, move a car length, stop, put in Park, wait five seconds, put in Drive, move 10 ft, stop, put in Park...

Laconian

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 09, 2017, 03:40:30 PM
I shift to neutral sometimes in an automatic car just so I don't have to hold the brakes at a stop light.

I'm paranoid about smartphone drones behind me seeing the brakelights turning off as a cue to accelerate into my rear bumper.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 09, 2017, 03:40:30 PM

I do it fairly often in the drive-thru if it's a long line. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on August 09, 2017, 06:50:14 PM
I'm paranoid about smartphone drones behind me seeing the brakelights turning off as a cue to accelerate into my rear bumper.

If doing it in traffic, I just keep a light toe on the brake pedal so the lights stay on.

AutobahnSHO

4 realz!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on August 09, 2017, 06:44:59 PM
I had a cab in Vegas who'd put in in PARK every time he came to a stop in bumper-to-bumper traffic! Crawl forward, stop, put in Park, wait for eight seconds, put in Drive, move a car length, stop, put in Park, wait five seconds, put in Drive, move 10 ft, stop, put in Park...

weird and obnoxious!
Will

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 09, 2017, 03:11:51 PM
Torque converter crawl phobia!

Get a higher stall converter and you won't have that problem. My dad's Camaro has a 2600-2800 rpm converter and doesn't budge until you push the gas.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 09, 2017, 04:01:29 PM
Great info and advice.  :cheers:

Slushiet ATs are the last weak link of the modern automobile. Other than keeping the maintenance up (which is usually zero as these days most ATs have lifetime lubrication - the G37 for example doesn't even have a transmission dipstick or fill tube) there's nothing that can be done to extend its life.

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on August 09, 2017, 09:22:30 PM
Slushiet ATs are the last weak link of the modern automobile. Other than keeping the maintenance up (which is usually zero as these days most ATs have lifetime lubrication - the G37 for example doesn't even have a transmission dipstick or fill tube) there's nothing that can be done to extend its life.

I have a ZF 6-speed automatic in the BMW. Have not heard any major reliability complaints about it on the BMW 1-Series Forums. 50% of my driving is on highways and I do like to speed. I'd like to think that transmission was made for all that stress!  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 09, 2017, 10:50:30 AM
I've had a variety of 7spd+ autos as rentals lately and good gracious they've been absolutely miserable in terms of smoothness and anticipation. Laughable really.

I have no doubt that a few companies have programmed the ZF8spd to be as silky as advertised, but I'm wondering if that's going to prove the exception rather than the rule. It seems like the average auto has taken a quantum leap backwards in areas that were traditional strong suits.

Automatics are the worst.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I usually sit at lights/trains/whatever in neutral with my foot off the brake. Whenever I see a car approaching, I put the brake on until they stop.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2017, 04:17:27 PM
I usually sit at lights/trains/whatever in neutral with my foot off the brake. Whenever I see a car approaching, I put the brake on until they stop.

Yep, exactly.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FoMoJo

Do you have your foot off the clutch pedal as well or keep it depressed?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 10, 2017, 04:24:55 PM
Do you have your foot off the clutch as well or keep it depressed?

Why would you keep the clutch in if you're in neutral?
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

That, too.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 10, 2017, 04:24:55 PM
Do you have your foot off the clutch pedal as well or keep it depressed?

Depends on when I got to the light and whether or not I know how long of a light it is.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Xer0

Dito.  Although, I've been noticing that a lot of MT drivers around me will still keep the brake pressed standing on even ground.  I'm not sure why.  One of my favorite things about a manual is that I don't have to constantly be on the brake.

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on August 10, 2017, 05:30:18 PM
Dito.  Although, I've been noticing that a lot of MT drivers around me will still keep the brake pressed standing on even ground.  I'm not sure why.  One of my favorite things about a manual is that I don't have to constantly be on the brake.

It's such a simple and strange pleasure, but I'm with you. Every time I'm in an automatic car, I forget to hold the car on the brake at least once.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on August 10, 2017, 05:30:18 PM

I feel like ground that flat is pretty rare (and I live in South Jersey, which is basically a giant sandbar with a thin layer of topsoil). Even in my garage if I don't have the brake or emergency brake the car will slowly start to roll forward. Most roads have at least some incline to them IME.

giant_mtb

Plenty of it around here, despite general hilliness.  That's what happens when basically your entire county was at one point covered in mines, where flat land is created on purpose for roads, railroads, and facilities...which eventually become towns and streets. :lol:

Xer0

Around here (Chicago FWIW) there are very few roads that I have to actually hold the brakes on.  I can't tell you the last time I did.  I still engage the parking brake when I park the car though cause I'm paranoid, but truthfully, I probably don't need to.

r0tor

I keep the brake applied while stopped... I was once rammed into by a Mexican at a stop light and almost succeeded in pushing me into the car in front of me