The male dilemma

Started by Morris Minor, May 01, 2017, 10:58:41 AM

Morris Minor

I can't think of a compact or mid-sized crossover SUV that isn't a bit girly. The Ford Edge is not too bad. Jeeps are manly but hopelessly unreliable.
Where's a male to go who wants a practical SUV? I'd say you's have to trade away the advantages of a crossover and go hairy balls 4-Runner.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

FoMoJo

Volkswagen Atlas, the name alone is mega manly, however, I'd recommend the Edge, particularly the Sport model.  Much better engine.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Want the manly, hairy balls experience?  Restore a '71 Jeep CJ-5 (with 290 AMC V8) in your driveway while guzzling Bud Light and figuring out the best parts sources. Plus occasionally watch sports on TV.
Hint: The AMC 390 will bolt right in. Zoom Zoom.
:lol:

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

What does this even mean?

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

2o6

No, what makes these cars "girly" - I honestly don't know what you mean

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2017, 12:54:32 PM
No, what makes these cars "girly" - I honestly don't know what you mean

Imo, a manly car should have a lot of curves and swoops and put one in mind of a gorgeous woman; Jaguar XK140 is a perfect manly car.  A girly car, I imagine, must be square and boxy.

veeman

Many cross-overs, or cute utes, have a girly vibe to them partly based on styling and partly based on what's the demographic of the average driver of them.  Prior generation Lexus RX's seemed very girly to me but the current generation predator mouth one does not.  Some of it also depends on color choice.  Black and smoke grey butches up almost anything. 

Subaru Crosstrek, which I own, didn't strike me as very girly.  Lesbian maybe.  Nissan Juke as well, although very polarizing styling. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2017, 01:02:45 PM
Imo, a manly car should have a lot of curves and swoops and put one in mind of a gorgeous woman; Jaguar XK140 is a perfect manly car.  A girly car, I imagine, must be square and boxy.

This sounds...backwards. 

A swoopy, curvy car is sexy, not manly.  But sexy doesn't mean girly, either.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2017, 01:34:55 PM
This sounds...backwards. 

It depends on what attracts you. 

"A beautiful car — like a beautiful woman — is always beautiful." ~ Sergio Pininfarina

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2017, 01:48:12 PM
It depends on what attracts you. 

"A beautiful car — like a beautiful woman — is always beautiful." ~ Sergio Pininfarina

So, like this entire thread...totally subjective.

shp4man

None o that modern crap has any balls. :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on May 01, 2017, 01:51:53 PM
None o that modern crap has any balls. :lol:

look @ dis, so tuff
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2017, 01:48:41 PM
So, like this entire thread...totally subjective.
Men are, generally, predisposed to curves.  It's what we find attractive.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on May 01, 2017, 01:52:39 PM
look @ dis, so tuff

Oh wow.  Those were such piles of shit that I can't even remember the last time I saw one on the road.

FoMoJo

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2017, 01:54:19 PM
Men are, generally, predisposed to curves.  It's what we find attractive.

So, the things that a man finds attractive are manly?  I don't think women are manly.  :hmm:

93JC

Quote from: shp4man on May 01, 2017, 11:23:47 AM
Want the manly, hairy balls experience?  Restore a '71 Jeep CJ-5 (with 290 AMC V8) in your driveway while guzzling Bud Light and figuring out the best parts sources. Plus occasionally watch sports on TV.
Hint: The AMC 390 will bolt right in. Zoom Zoom.
:lol:

:nono:

AMC stopped building the 290 in 1970, replaced it with the 304, and the CJ-5 wasn't available with the 304 (or any other V8) until '72.

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on May 01, 2017, 01:52:39 PM

look @ dis, so tuff

OK, kinda like that one. Where the fuck is the Bud Light?  :muffin: :cheers:

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2017, 01:56:04 PM
So, the things that a man finds attractive are manly?  I don't think women are manly.  :hmm:
I don't know how to answer that. :lol:

Personally, anything designed by Pininfarina, I find attractive. :huh:  A box on wheels, not so much.

shp4man

Quote from: 93JC on May 01, 2017, 01:57:56 PM
:nono:

AMC stopped building the 290 in 1970, replaced it with the 304, and the CJ-5 wasn't available with the 304 (or any other V8) until '72.

So What?  ;) :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2017, 01:34:55 PM
This sounds...backwards. 

Cars and trucks work from opposite ends of the spectrum here. Crossovers, being a sort of automotive hermaphrodite from their inception, are bound to create confusion then.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2017, 01:56:04 PM

A sports car, being lithe and agile, brings with it a certain connotation of femaleness, while trucks, being large and utilitarian is more basically male.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2017, 02:06:14 PM
A sports car, being lithe and agile, brings with it a certain connotation of femaleness, while trucks, being large and utilitarian is more basically male.
Are you suggesting that we want to "be the truck"?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2017, 02:11:05 PM

More like we want the truck to reflect our own self image, while the sports car is more often an emblem of the that which we desire.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 01, 2017, 02:11:05 PM

I think that's the essence of the "argument" here.  It's one thing to lust for a sexy car (Pininfarina), but it's another to want a tough, manly-styled vehicle (like an SUV).  Depends on the application.  I don't want my truck to be sexy, and I don't want my sports car to be boxy and manly.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2017, 02:20:14 PM
More like we want the truck to reflect our own self image, while the sports car is more often an emblem of the that which we desire.

Yeah, his words are better than mine.