Volkswagen Passat by Nissan

Started by cawimmer430, June 13, 2017, 05:31:39 PM

cawimmer430

Interesting stuff. I like obscure automotive stories like this.  :ohyeah:

This Volkswagen is a Nissan

This looks like a Volkswagen. It says Volkswagen on the back. But it's a Nissan.

It's a VW Santana, built and sold by Nissan in Japan and for the Japanese market. The Japanese-built cars were almost identical to their German-built counterparts. The only structural differences were that the Nissan-built cars were 5mm narrower for Japanese tax purposes and they got right-hand-drive windshield wipers.

You could think of this Japanese Santana as something like the captive imports we had in America from the '70s through the '90s, where you'd get things like American-built Toyota Corollas sold as Chevy Novas.

Except what's so strange about this Santana is that despite getting an internal Nissan production code, the car was still badged as a VW. Every driver stared at a VW logo on the steering wheel and their car got German model names like 'Autobahn' and 'Meisterwerk,' like the one pictured above.

The ads even were spelled out in German, though the announcer spoke Japanese.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sbn2x2jYA

The whole operation was supposed to act as a stepping stone to a full a VW-Nissan partnership, but Japanese production only lasted from '84 to '89, and VW sales in Nissan dealerships ended in '91 when VW started toying around with Toyota.

In the end, all we have left is this strange, orphaned Nissan VW.

What Wikipedia says:

Aiming at a full partnership with Volkswagen, Nissan's then President Takashi Ishihara decided that producing the Santana for the Japanese market would be a good stepping stone. Negotiations began in 1981, and by February 1984, Nissan begun license production of the Santana at its Zama plant in Kanagawa, Japan. The Nissan Santana received the internal model code M30. The price of the Nissan Santana was considerably lower than of imported Volkswagens.

Nissan's Santana was changed for Japan with a right hand drive wiper layout (parking on the passenger side) which, as well as a new linkage mechanism, also required a new bonnet pressing as there were recesses in the trailing edge for the wiper pivots. VW-built cars, in common with some of the maker's other models at this time, such as the MKII Golf, had the same LHD wiper pattern regardless of steering wheel location. At introduction, the Nissan Santana was available with three different engines: A 100 PS (74 kW) 1781 cc four (Li, Gi), a 110 PS (81 kW) 1,994 cc five (Gi5, Xi5) and a 72 PS (53 kW) 1,588 cc turbodiesel four (Lt, Gt Diesel Turbo). All came with a five-speed manual transmission as standard, while the gasoline engines were also available with a three-speed automatic. The Nissan Santana was 5 mm narrower than its German counterparts, so as to avoid a massive Japanese tax on cars wider than 1690 mm. Additionally, the grille and headlights were unique to the M30 Santana.

In May 1985 the Xi5 Autobahn version was added to the lineup, offering velour sports seats, electric sunroof and 14-inch alloy wheels. In January 1987 the Santana received a facelift, with a new fascia and new larger bumpers. The Turbodiesel was discontinued, leaving only gasoline-engined versions. The 1.8-litre Gi version was down to 91 PS (67 kW), while the Li and Gi5 equipment grades were dropped. The Xi5 Autobahn was now available with a new engine, however, as a DOHC version of the 2-litre five appeared with 140 PS (103 kW). With sales, originally aimed at 4,000-5,000 per month, only having reached 50,000 over seven years, Nissan ended production in October 1989. Sales of remaining stock continued until May 1990. Instead of renewing the production license, they began selling the new third-generation Volkswagen Passat through their dealer network. As Volkswagen and Toyota began cooperating in 1991, sales of Volkswagens through Nissan dealers came to a halt

1985–89 Volkswagen Santana "Autobahn" (JDM-spec)

Link: http://jalopnik.com/this-volkswagen-is-a-nissan-1591951125

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Santana#Santana_.28Japan.29
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

VW Santana 2000s were really popular in China the last time I visited.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on June 13, 2017, 07:54:32 PM

The car is still popular as the Volkswagen Parati in South American markets.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 14, 2017, 04:10:54 AM
The car is still popular as the Volkswagen Parati in South American markets.  :ohyeah:

Not the same car. That's a VW Gol, which was sold in the US and other markets as the VW Fox.

The Santana was sold in the US as the Quantum, and is a bigger car.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on June 13, 2017, 07:54:32 PM

They still make them. For awhile, VW still made the Jetta II, III, IV, V, and VI all at the same time in China.

Same with the Passat. (Sagittar, Magotan)

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 14, 2017, 12:48:16 PM

Not the same car. That's a VW Gol, which was sold in the US and other markets as the VW Fox.

The Santana was sold in the US as the Quantum, and is a bigger car.

Ah, I could have sworn these were based on the same platform.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

Quote from: AltinD on June 15, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
and the 2000's clone

:devil:

Those look nothing alike. Like not even close.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 2o6 on June 16, 2017, 09:29:23 AM

What do you mean? They both have hoods, trunks, roofs, various glass parts, AND FOUR WHEELS!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Galaxy

On a similar note. This Toyota is a VW.

VW Taro, which was a Toyota Hilux.

cawimmer430

I've only ever seen one Volkswagen Taro on the road. And it was literally a rust bucket. How did it ever make it through the TÜV???  :confused:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

The roof line ... even the designers admitted it

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: AltinD on June 15, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
and the 2000's clone

:devil:

You're crazy, look at the c-pillar and needless corner windows. The lines are very very similar. Biggest difference really is the headlights.
Will

MexicoCityM3

That generation Passat was called "Corsar" here in Mexico, That car was highly sought after and respected. I remember an uncle got one and seeing it at my grandfathers house.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 03, 2017, 07:12:16 AM
That generation Passat was called "Corsar" here in Mexico, That car was highly sought after and respected. I remember an uncle got one and seeing it at my grandfathers house.

It was a great car.  I loved mine.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

I LOOOOOVED mine too (2002 - 2008)

giant_mtb

It's a very simple, clean design, inside and out.