Cheap Porsche Ownership

Started by cawimmer430, June 14, 2017, 10:07:12 AM

cawimmer430

It's possible!

What is this I am hearing in the first video? The Cayenne was running poorly because someone had sabotaged it in order to get a cheaper buying price. According to Hoovie this practice is "pretty common" - WTF!?  :confused:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFmVEidCis

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIldkaiE6F4
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

If I had courage and gross levels of dispensible income - I'd be all over a 2nd gen GTS
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

It's actually scary how much vintage Porsches are bringing these days. Even the 914 is getting pricey.

GoCougs

Jesus, those vids are unwatchable. So annoying.

The sabotage thing was bogus.

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on June 14, 2017, 10:59:04 AM
Jesus, those vids are unwatchable. So annoying.

The sabotage thing was bogus.

I actually think this is one of the few objective and fun reviewers out there. I also like his videos about the cars he buys, fixes up and sells. Check out this video about a 1970s Lincoln Coupe and a Honda/Acura NSX!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Based on the thumbnails, I have zero interest in anything this guy has to say.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: shp4man on June 14, 2017, 10:24:08 AM
It's actually scary how much vintage Porsches are bringing these days. Even the 914 is getting pricey.

I'm all for it; I would love to get back what I put into the 944 eventually. :mask:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Why don't you guys like Hoovie?

I don't like Doug DeMuro, Vehicle Virgins and pretty much most of these car reviewers who get into some boring family sedan / economy car and immediately complain about the lack of power, handling and fun...

Chris Harris and Hoovie are some of the few car reviewers who in my opinion are objective. Ok, Hoovie isn't a car reviewer, but I like the way he reviews cars. He never complained about the handling or "lack of fun" when he reviewed his 1970s Lincoln coupe for example. Others would have been bitching about the boaty and floaty drive etc.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

I'm too millennial to be entertained by hoovie
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Quote from: 68_427 on June 16, 2017, 01:17:41 PM
I'm too millennial to be entertained by hoovie

His videos are cheesy, but his cheerful personality has to count for something! ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rupert on June 16, 2017, 05:37:05 PM
Doug DeMuro is a twat.

I cringe so hard whenever he leans on someone's nice expensive car. I don't really even care about paint that much but shit try to respect other's property.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

So much hate here for Doug. I actually like him. Goofy guy but comes across pretty authentic and honest. He's just a dorky guy trying to have fun.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

The 'SPIN seems to be on its collective period this week. Hoovie is OK with me, weak chin and all. He's got money and a family, so I think a lot of his dorkiness is an act.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 17, 2017, 08:38:05 AM
The 'SPIN seems to be on its collective period this week. Hoovie is OK with me, weak chin and all. He's got money and a family, so I think a lot of his dorkiness is an act.

Are you implying if you're dorky, you can't have money or family? :wtf:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 17, 2017, 09:16:23 AM
Are you implying if you're dorky, you can't have money or family? :wtf:
He doesn't come across as "Silicon Valley" dorky. Just regular dorky

r0tor

I'm bored of watching people do car reviews and the only thing that qualifies them as an "enthusiast" is their bank account.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2017, 09:59:14 AM
I'm bored of watching people do car reviews and the only thing that qualifies them as an "enthusiast" is their bank account.
Then don't watch them :huh: Unless you're that hard pressed to find something to whine about.

Plus a lot of the "qualified" reviewers are just paid shills.

BimmerM3

I don't really watch many online reviews to begin with, but the one time I tried to watch one of Demuro's videos I got bored after like 30 seconds and turned it off.

cawimmer430

The charisma of the "reviewer" (professional or not) is important. They need to come across as friendly, charming and also [technically] educated about cars.

Doug D. is a competent reviewer, but he comes across as a little annoying often times. Vehicle Virgins are way too serious, like no humor; none. Shmee150 comes across as spoiled and annoying. The list goes on...

I really can't stand arrogant types who get into cars and then act as if they know the target market for a particular car. It's especially amusing (and annoying) when they bitch about something that doesn't matter - blazing performance in an economy car for example. Nobody interested in say a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage cares about smoking tires or 1/4 mile times.

Chris Harris is a great all-round package. And so is Hoovie - at least for me. I mean this is the guy who put in a manual transmission into a 300SD Turbodiesel and explained in great and friendly detail how he did it. I was glued to that video because of the way he presented it - and I for one would never want a manual transmission in any W126 S-Class (just does not suit the character of the car).

In the end it's really all subjective. I can make it through a Doug DeMuro video, learn something new, but I don't have to enjoy it...  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 17, 2017, 01:14:02 PM
I really can't stand arrogant types who get into cars and then act as if they know the target market for a particular car. It's especially amusing (and annoying) when they bitch about something that doesn't matter - blazing performance in an economy car for example. Nobody interested in say a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage cares about smoking tires or 1/4 mile times.
Certain things matter to certain audiences. This is why Chris Harris will never review something like that Mirage.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on June 17, 2017, 07:59:19 AM
So much hate here for Doug. I actually like him. Goofy guy but comes across pretty authentic and honest. He's just a dorky guy trying to have fun.

He's a huge mouth breather - when he's not talking his mouth just hangs open. Bugs the jesus out of me.

Also, he looks 40+ but turns out he's only like 29...

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 17, 2017, 01:53:18 PM
Certain things matter to certain audiences. This is why Chris Harris will never review something like that Mirage.

But if he did review one he would at least be objective about it. He wouldn't criticize its power shortcomings or its miserable handling.

Have you seen his review about his very own Citroen 2CV? It was refreshing to hear him speak of that car in a completely objective manner. And although he owned the car, his review didn't come across as biased at all. It came across as very passionate but also objective. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2017, 01:11:07 PM
Why don't you guys like Hoovie?

I don't like Doug DeMuro, Vehicle Virgins and pretty much most of these car reviewers who get into some boring family sedan / economy car and immediately complain about the lack of power, handling and fun...

Chris Harris and Hoovie are some of the few car reviewers who in my opinion are objective. Ok, Hoovie isn't a car reviewer, but I like the way he reviews cars. He never complained about the handling or "lack of fun" when he reviewed his 1970s Lincoln coupe for example. Others would have been bitching about the boaty and floaty drive etc.

I can't say I've seen many of the "notable" online car reviewers review a family or econo car and complain because it's slower than a performance car. 

For starters, I've never seen DeMuro review a family or econo car, and a quick glimpse at his channel shows that outside of trucks/SUVs (most of the ones he's reviewed aren't exactly mainstream mom-mobiles), practically everything he's reviewed is a performance car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on June 17, 2017, 01:58:13 PM
He's a huge mouth breather - when he's not talking his mouth just hangs open. Bugs the jesus out of me.

Also, he looks 40+ but turns out he's only like 29...

He's only 29? :confused: now I feel kind of bad for him.

Mouth breather or not, give me Doug DeMuro over someone like Tavarish any day.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 17, 2017, 02:02:02 PM
But if he did review one he would at least be objective about it. He wouldn't criticize its power shortcomings or its miserable handling.

Have you seen his review about his very own Citroen 2CV? It was refreshing to hear him speak of that car in a completely objective manner. And although he owned the car, his review didn't come across as biased at all. It came across as very passionate but also objective. ;)

Sure he would.  The Mirage gets criticized not because it's simply slow or handles poorly, but because it's significantly slower and worse handling than its chief competitors (Fiesta, Yaris, Rio, Accent, Spark, Fit), none of which are particularly fast cars.  There are expectations that cars within a certain price point should deliver a certain level of content (creature comforts) and performance.  The Mirage is outside of the target.

No one is going to get in a 2CV and rip it apart for being a slow car for the same reason no one would get in a Model T or original VW Type I Beetle and trash them for being slow.  They were cars designed and built for a very different time (a time when all cars were much slower than today) and cars that were, in their own ways, innovative or ground-breaking or historically significant.  There is nothing innovative, ground-breaking, or historically significant about the latest Mirage.  It's simply a cheap, slow, ill-driving economy car that is significantly worse than other cars that cost the same money.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 17, 2017, 02:02:02 PM

Again, who are these reviewers dumping on the Mirage for not being a track beast? I feel like you make these "reviewers" up.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 17, 2017, 12:22:43 PM
Then don't watch them :huh: Unless you're that hard pressed to find something to whine about.

Plus a lot of the "qualified" reviewers are just paid shills.

I don't watch them anymore... Life isn't long enough to waste another minute on the likes of schmee