2018 Camry XSE V6 - The Centimation of the Poser Class Confirmed.

Started by GoCougs, June 21, 2017, 07:42:04 AM

GoCougs

301 hp. 8 sp AT. Flappy paddles. Quad exhaust. All new lighter and stiffer chassis. Should break into the 13s if it can put the power down.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Hopefully they give it a Revoknuckle style front suspension and LSD, or the option for AWD. Otherwise......

To be fair though, the Maxima I drove did OK with conventional struts and an open diff. But yea this thing looks pretty sweet.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

I don't get the "poser class" comment when you drive a G37, which is arguably the least nice out of all the C segment entry level lux cars

cawimmer430

Are there really people that will buy a performance Camry? I mean I picture the typical Camry owner of being someone who does not care about cars and wants good value and reliability and nothing more.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 21, 2017, 12:20:11 PM
Are there really people that will buy a performance Camry? I mean I picture the typical Camry owner of being someone who does not care about cars and wants good value and reliability and nothing more.

The SE V6 ("performance" model) has been a fixture in the Camry lineup since 2007, so, apparently enough people are buying them...

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2017, 09:22:50 AM
I don't get the "poser class" comment when you drive a G37, which is arguably the least nice out of all the C segment entry level lux cars

Not only was the G37 the best in class (you had to bump up to the S4 or M3 to getting something materially better), it was never in the poser class. Poser class would be the Q50 2.0T, which you'd have to be a lunatic to buy.

Payman

Is there anything more poser than a fwd 4 door Camry with body cladding and quad exhaust tips?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on June 21, 2017, 12:49:56 PM
Is there anything more poser than a fwd 4 door Camry with body cladding and quad exhaust tips?
...and flappy paddles on an eight speed?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Centimation...  Centimated...  You keep using this word but I don't think it means what you think that it means. 

Also, it's not a real word (not in the dictionary).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 21, 2017, 01:01:31 PM
Centimation...  Centimated...  You keep using this word but I don't think it means what you think that it means. 

Also, it's not a real word (not in the dictionary).
In an alternate universe, Bizarro world, perhaps it has a meaning similar to decimate.

SJ_GTI

I always assumed he was using it in a sarcastic (sardonic?) way.

IIRC someone nitpicked his use of the term decimated. He then started using this term instead. I assumed he was using it in a clearly incorrect way (ie: "centimated" somehow being worse than decimated even though the phraseology would suggest that something being centimated is less extreme than it being decimated).

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2017, 12:39:09 PM
The SE V6 ("performance" model) has been a fixture in the Camry lineup since 2007, so, apparently enough people are buying them...

Yeah, but weren't those 250/270-hp models with zero sporting pretensions?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 21, 2017, 01:29:11 PM
Yeah, but weren't those 250/270-hp models with zero sporting pretensions?

They had a sporty-looking set of body add-ons and bigger standard wheels...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2017, 12:41:20 PM
Not only was the G37 the best in class (you had to bump up to the S4 or M3 to getting something materially better), it was never in the poser class. Poser class would be the Q50 2.0T, which you'd have to be a lunatic to buy.

It's good you like your car, but the G cars are *okay*

The E90, F30, and whatever Audi and MB made are better luxury vehicles. Quieter, more refined. Maybe slower in base trim, but that can be fixed by buying a bigger engined model.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2017, 01:51:55 PM

The E90, F30, and whatever Audi and MB made are better luxury vehicles. Quieter, more refined. Maybe slower in base trim, but that can be fixed by buying a bigger engined model.
E90 and Audis, yes. F30, no. Bells, whistles and IDrive aside it did not feel more upscale than a current year Accord LX, and this was no stripper model.

I will say this- the G's materials are unacceptably cheap. Leather in the back seat on mine is worn, and the faux aluminum trim is flaking. But aside from that it's solid. F30 dash feels like Rubbermaid by comparison.

Laconian

Faux aluminum? My G had real metal with a swirly wire brush texture?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2017, 02:42:57 PM
I will say this- the G's materials are unacceptably cheap. Leather in the back seat on mine is worn, and the faux aluminum trim is flaking. But aside from that it's solid. F30 dash feels like Rubbermaid by comparison.

Are you sure it's not the clearcoat applied on top of the aluminum that's flaking?
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on June 21, 2017, 01:32:05 PM
They had a sporty-looking set of body add-ons and bigger standard wheels...

Also some steering and suspension tweaks. But nothing that was going to take on a luxury sports sedan except in the 0-60, which is of course what separates a great car from a poseur.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on June 21, 2017, 03:45:47 PM
Also some steering and suspension tweaks. But nothing that was going to take on a luxury sports sedan except in the 0-60, which is of course what separates a great car from a poseur.

It was nothing that was going to take on a V6 Accord Sport, forget anything in the "poseur" class.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2017, 02:49:10 PM
Faux aluminum? My G had real metal with a swirly wire brush texture?

It's real/unpainted AL in my car too, knowingly obvious as it dents and scratches very easily.

My leather has held up great. The driver's seat is a bit scrunched and shiny but looks better than average for 120k miles (and I've never treated it).

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2017, 01:51:55 PM

"Better" in that they had awful infotainment and would eat Camcord V6 dust (yes, it matters, A LOT) all for $40k+, and to get materially more one has to bump up to the $50k S4, C43, etc.

The vast majority of poser class buyers would be far better served in a Camcord, but decadence and narcissism are powerful elixirs.

The only leeway that may be given is for the new A4 - at least with DSG/6MT and AWD, there's at least some differentiation that matters.

2o6

The Camry is loud and less composed. It's not meant to be on the same level; it's a different car for a different buyer.

Curiously, you continually ignore the IS.....

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2017, 05:01:10 PM
"Better" in that they had awful infotainment and would eat Camcord V6 dust (yes, it matters, A LOT) all for $40k+, and to get materially more one has to bump up to the $50k S4, C43, etc.

???

The 3-series has always had an engine option short of the M's that will beat a Camry in a straight line.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on June 21, 2017, 05:10:30 PM
The Camry is loud and less composed. It's not meant to be on the same level; it's a different car for a different buyer.

Curiously, you continually ignore the IS.....

I don't care much for the IS, and actually have very little respect for it, but holy hell the Lexus folks must be pissed that the Camry just got its motor.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2017, 05:36:04 PM
???

The 3-series has always had an engine option short of the M's that will beat a Camry in a straight line.
Not for at least twice the price

From a roll I see a 328i/330i having a hard time getting away... and a 320i, forget about it :lol:

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
I don't care much for the IS, and actually have very little respect for it, but holy hell the Lexus folks must be pissed that the Camry just got its motor.

No one gives a shit.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 21, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
I doubt it. Lexus RWD lineup is dying on the vine, largely in part I think because people can get their RWD kicks without having to deal with that asinine infotainment system. Bad infotainment is really destroying whole generations of cars.