2018 Camry XSE V6 - The Centimation of the Poser Class Confirmed.

Started by GoCougs, June 21, 2017, 07:42:04 AM

cawimmer430

The new Camry is not bad-looking, but if you really want a performance-oriented Camry then you can't beat the ultra rare 1980-1982 A50 Celica Camry.

The only REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE "Camry" ever made. And technically it wasn't a Camry, it was a sportier Toyota Carina sedan.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2017, 05:46:21 PM
Not for at least twice the price

From a roll I see a 328i/330i having a hard time getting away... and a 320i, forget about it :lol:

I'm not disputing the Camry is a better value dollar-for-dollar over every luxer. I'm responding to the factual assertion that any 3 short of the M "would eat Camcord V6 dust." It's not true now and never has been.

There is something there WRT Mercedes, which wasn't serious about the C-Class until relatively recently, and Audi, which does tend to limit engine upgrades outside of their performance lines, but the assertion falls flat with the 3-series.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 21, 2017, 12:20:11 PM
Are there really people that will buy a performance Camry? I mean I picture the typical Camry owner of being someone who does not care about cars and wants good value and reliability and nothing more.

They'll buy it without regard to its performance because it's a Camry.  All they need to do is be competitive within the class and remain competent within the class and people will continue to buy it.  The performance is a luxury.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 21, 2017, 01:29:11 PM
Yeah, but weren't those 250/270-hp models with zero sporting pretensions?

Body kit. 

I drove an I4 SE manual transmission model once.  It was....floaty.  But it looked sporty.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on June 22, 2017, 09:42:58 AM
I'm not disputing the Camry is a better value dollar-for-dollar over every luxer. I'm responding to the factual assertion that any 3 short of the M "would eat Camcord V6 dust." It's not true now and never has been.

There is something there WRT Mercedes, which wasn't serious about the C-Class until relatively recently, and Audi, which does tend to limit engine upgrades outside of their performance lines, but the assertion falls flat with the 3-series.
Fair enough
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

The V6 makes up about 10% of Camry sales.  I think people shopping for it are not looking for a sporty ride.  They want a Lexus ES ride at a cheaper price point. 

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2017, 05:36:04 PM
???

The 3-series has always had an engine option short of the M's that will beat a Camry in a straight line.

Never said otherwise.

(Be very careful of trying too hard.)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on June 22, 2017, 12:19:57 PM
The V6 makes up about 10% of Camry sales.  I think people shopping for it are not looking for a sporty ride.  They want a Lexus ES ride at a cheaper price point.
I disagree

Toyota knows what its customers want and the SE has got sportier with each iteration. The 07-11s got the 3.5; 12-14 got paddle shifters and chassis bracing; current one retained all the stuff the 12-14 got. I see this new XSE V6 as a legitimate alternative to something like a Maxima or TLX, which are def more focused on driver engagement than the ES.

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on June 22, 2017, 12:19:57 PM

History says you're right, in the form of whatever the top end lux Camy is (XLE V6). The video days SE/XSE V6 take rate is ~3% so at least some want the "performance" Camry.

CaminoRacer

That's ~600/month. So it does sell, about half as well as the poor selling models in the poser class
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 23, 2017, 05:57:05 AM
I disagree

Toyota knows what its customers want and the SE has got sportier with each iteration. The 07-11s got the 3.5; 12-14 got paddle shifters and chassis bracing; current one retained all the stuff the 12-14 got. I see this new XSE V6 as a legitimate alternative to something like a Maxima or TLX, which are def more focused on driver engagement than the ES.

The first Camry SE had its own unique engine -- it had the 3.3-liter while the LE and XLE had the 3.0. For 2007, it switched to having the same engine as the rest of the lineup. It was a better engine, to be sure, but it reduced the SE distinction.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 23, 2017, 05:44:00 PM
That's ~600/month. So it does sell, about half as well as the poor selling models in the poser class
10%? By my calcs that's 3,000-3,500/mo (10% of ~360-420K/yr)... better than only the top sellers (3 series, C-class, ES, 5er). I'd argue the XLE/XSE are nicer than the 328i as well

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 23, 2017, 06:51:08 PM
10%? By my calcs that's 3,000-3,500/mo (10% of ~360-420K/yr)... better than only the top sellers (3 series, C-class, ES, 5er). I'd argue the XLE/XSE are nicer than the 328i as well

He said 3%

(I don't have a clue what the % is, just going off that & average monthly sales of 20k)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Char

I would take a V6 Camry over a 320i. The 320i is everything that is wrong with BMW - It's ugly, slow and has no good features. It drives like a buick, it looks cheap as hell and it would get werked by a Camry in almost every objective measure.

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 23, 2017, 08:49:19 PM
He said 3%

(I don't have a clue what the % is, just going off that & average monthly sales of 20k)
OK.... quick check of Autotrader inventory of 2012+ cars = ~6%. At the Camry's volumes, enough to keep around. That extra power should make a nice difference too. Last Camry V6 was quick, but the power didn't impress me like the 300HP Maxima did. With the conventional 8AT this should have shorter gearing off the line, which will make it feel even peppier.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

$35K plus taxes etc. Not bad. Plus a 14-pound sledge hammer to smack the rear bumper for the obligatory dent... and you'd be running with the big dogs.
I'd get the silver with the red interior.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Thinking more about it, I think Toyota may have priced these things in dangerous territory. The $25K 4 banger SE puts it right in the middle of GTI/Civic Si territory, and the $35K V6 is Golf R or even BMW 330i fodder. Back when the V6 was like $25K it was a more compelling package.

68_427

The only relevant comparison there is the 330i, and that's only barely relevant IMO.  A Camry buyer isn't going to even know what a GTI or Civic Si is most likely, and they're buying a Camry for value/comfort/reliability which pretty much rules out a BMW.  (trying to think like a Camry buyer here)

Yes there are exceptions but that's all they are.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

IDK man. I could see someone like Cougs cross shopping the Camry XSE V6 and Golf R. And the market for sedans is shrinking, which could make such weird cross shopping more relevant. The fact that Toyota has sought to make the Camry sportier makes such comparisons more relevant.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 31, 2017, 05:48:34 AM
IDK man. I could see someone like Cougs cross shopping the Camry XSE V6 and Golf R. And the market for sedans is shrinking, which could make such weird cross shopping more relevant. The fact that Toyota has sought to make the Camry sportier makes such comparisons more relevant.

I guess if you consider just the ultra low volume V6 XSE your argument makes more sense to me as a much larger % of buyers for that particular model will be "enthusiasts" even if only slightly, but I still don't think the comparison to the Golf R is a very good one.  They are only comparable on price and that's really it.  Someone buying a Golf R is unlikely to look at the Camry IMO, and someone looking at the Camry has priorities that are probably not going to be met by the Golf R.
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 31, 2017, 05:48:34 AM

Cougs only considers straight line performance relevant in a performance car.  The typical GTI/R buyer does not.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5