Mercedes G-Class to gain an Independent Front Suspension and Turbo I6 Engines

Started by cawimmer430, June 28, 2017, 08:10:04 AM

cawimmer430

Hmmmm, I wonder how the car will look like once that camouflage is taken off...  :ohyeah:

New Mercedes G-Class To Gain An Independent Front Suspension And Turbo Straight-Six Engines

Mercedes is preparing to introduce an all-new G-Class after 38 years in production and we're starting to learn how close the model came to extinction.

In an interview with Automotive News, Mercedes G-Class boss Gunnar Guethenke confirmed the M-Class was originally designed to replace the model when it was launched in 1997. However, "the customer base of the G-class was so loyal and continued to support the vehicle that it never came to this point."

Despite never being sold in the United States, the G-Class had a strong following and was attracting plenty of interest. This pushed the company to bring the model stateside in 2002.

The G-Class never sold in huge numbers but the company steadily moved around 1,000 units annually. More recently, there has been a spike in interest as the company sold 3,950 G-Class models in the United States last year.

The company is hoping to continue that trend with the redesigned model which is expected to have an independent front suspension and a turbocharged six-cylinder engine. Rumors also suggest the model will be about 4 inches (10.1 cm) wider than its predecessor to create a more comfortable cabin.

Despite the emphasis on comfort, Guethenke confirmed the new G-Class will remain as rugged and capable as its predecessor. As he explained, there's "three backbones for our off-road capabilities" and these include a body-on-frame chassis, locking differentials, and low-range gearing.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/new-mercedes-g-class-to-gain.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

I like this one. It's a diesel, too.

Not sure about the one you posted.  :lol:

cawimmer430

My ideal G-Class would have the body kit from the '63/'65 AMG models, but under the bonnet there's the '350d engine.  :wub:

By the way, the original G-Class was also available with the 72-horsepower 2.4 inline-4 Diesel from the 240D. Sounds like fun, eh?  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

If you go to LA or NYC you would think Merc sells 9,000,000 a day.

I hope they keep the styling very similar to the current model.  That they're widening it by so much leaves me doubtful though. 

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

giant_mtb

Bleh.  IFS and 4" wider?  Both things that real off roaders definitely want.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2017, 08:55:52 AM

:lol:

My first thought at as well.

veeman

Current G class width is 72 inches with mirrors folded in.  Current F150 width is 80 inches with mirrors folded in.  Adding 4 inches to the width of the G-class will still allow it to be parked in NYC and LA luxury high rise buildings with indoor garage parking yet allow better rider comfort both in terms of interior volume and city street driving dynamics.  I'm sure those facts were higher on the minds of Mercedes engineers rather than trail riding.

Submariner

Quote from: veeman on June 28, 2017, 09:20:36 AM
Current G class width is 72 inches with mirrors folded in.  Current F150 width is 80 inches with mirrors folded in.  Adding 4 inches to the width of the G-class will still allow it to be parked in NYC and LA luxury high rise buildings with indoor garage parking yet allow better rider comfort both in terms of interior volume and city street driving dynamics.  I'm sure those facts were higher on the minds of Mercedes engineers rather than trail riding.

Indeed.  I don't think people realize that the G-class is a very narrow vehicle.

For what it's worth, the current Jeep JK is 74 inches wide, up 8 inches from the YJ of the 80's.  The G will be 2 inches wider (maybe 4 if the AMG trims use wider wheel flares) than a Wrangler - hardly a major obstacle on a trail.

BimmerM3

Yeah I get that. Especially in the states, it's not like very many people are actually off-roading their G wagons anyway.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 28, 2017, 10:05:35 AM
Yeah I get that. Especially in the states, it's not like very many people are actually off-roading their G wagons anyway.

If I ever do get another Mercedes, it'll likely be a G500.  And I would totally use it to offroad, should I ever be out driving somewhere and the road ends for some reason.   :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on June 28, 2017, 12:30:58 PM
If I ever do get another Mercedes, it'll likely be a G500.  And I would totally use it to offroad, should I ever be out driving somewhere and the road ends for some reason.   :lol:

Gotta get rid of those bodies somewhere.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 28, 2017, 08:10:04 AM
More recently, there has been a spike in interest as the company sold 3,950 G-Class models in the United States last year.

Jesus, that must be like half a billion in turnover.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on June 28, 2017, 12:30:58 PM

If you get an older G-Class from the '70s and '80s you can row your own gears. Good luck merging onto a freeway, though! :winkguy:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

The G63 is a fucking Corolla in the ME.  I did see a G65 with some big knobby tires parked on top of a huge curb in a mall parking lot there though.    :rockon:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

Quote from: 68_427 on June 28, 2017, 10:15:53 PM
The G63 is a fucking Corolla in the ME.  I did see a G65 with some big knobby tires parked on top of a huge curb in a mall parking lot there though.    :rockon:

I just got back from LA...I get the distinct feeling that the G550 is a poor-person's car there. 

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Submariner on June 29, 2017, 08:22:54 AM
I just got back from LA...I get the distinct feeling that the G550 is a poor-person's car there. 

The "G550" is what you drive when you really drive a G500, but are embarrassed to have the old one so you swap badges.  :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2017, 08:55:52 AM

A lot of the most serious off-roaders use IFS.  More width generally isn't a good thing, though, unless you're a dune rat where you don't have to thread any narrow paths and can benefit from the stability.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on June 30, 2017, 10:21:10 AM
A lot of the most serious off-roaders use IFS.  More width generally isn't a good thing, though, unless you're a dune rat where you don't have to thread any narrow paths and can benefit from the stability.

Depends a lot on the type of off-roading right? I'm no expert, but it seems like solid-axle would be better for more technical off-roading and rock crawling.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 30, 2017, 10:29:03 AM
Depends a lot on the type of off-roading right? I'm no expert, but it seems like solid-axle would be better for more technical off-roading and rock crawling.

Easier to hang up an axle on a stick axle than on a high-travel independent.  Unless you go with a portal axle, the clearance from the pumpkin/axle to the ground is limited by your wheel and tire diameter.  On an independent, you can get the diff up higher.  The bits that hang down at "axle" level are in close proximity to the wheel and move with the wheel, so you're unlikely to hang up the hard parts unless you drive into a sharp-edged feature like a rut (which will also hang up a stick axle). 

Also, with a stick axle, whatever one wheel does, the other does too.  Tires aren't designed to provide much traction when all that's making contact with the ground is the sidewall.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Fair enough. I mean, my truck has IFS and I like it. Took the sway bar off and she cruises beautifully.  If I ever get a play toy ORV, solid front axle likely won't be a deal breaker...some vehicles have 'em, some don't. Low range and locking diffs matter more at that point.

My original comment was mostly sarcasm.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2017, 11:29:18 AM
Fair enough. I mean, my truck has IFS and I like it. Took the sway bar off and she cruises beautifully.  If I ever get a play toy ORV, solid front axle likely won't be a deal breaker...some vehicles have 'em, some don't. Low range and locking diffs matter more at that point.

My original comment was mostly sarcasm.

The reason so many hardcore offroaders and rock crawlers run stick axles is because they are based on production vehicles that came with stick axles.  This was done because they are cheap and durable, which is what people buying 4WD trucks and Jeeps want.  It's easier to retain the stick axles and tweak the various control arms and links to get more articulation than to basically engineer your own independent suspension setup and then figure out how to retrofit it to your stick axle vehicle.  And because said vehicles have been running these setups for a long, long time, there's a ton of aftermarket and parts and such for them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

BimmerM3

Yeah, price and durability definitely enters the equation. But even then, the vertical travel for IFS is dependent on how long the control arms are. I can't imagine there are very many IFS vehicles that could do what the Jeep I posted above is doing and still have all four wheels on the ground.

With a quick Google search, it looks like "rock crawlers" typically have solid axles, even when you get into the fully custom fabricated (i.e. price-no-object) vehicles. It's more the baja-style rally trucks that use IFS.

But like Chris said, it doesn't matter to me. IFS is fine for anything I plan on doing. The Explorer has IFS and IRS, and so far has gotten me everywhere I needed to go.

giant_mtb

Yeah, the strength and aftermarket of solid axles is nuts. I can't believe the stresses some of those guys put through 'em and they just take it.

CaminoRacer

Solid axles seem beneficial for rock crawling because it's less likely that a wheel will lose contact with the ground. Even if it's just the sidewall, that's more than nothing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

Has there every been any type of independent suspension, even if only as a prototype, where the wheel actively gets pushed to the ground? Maybe that Bose system that was shown a few years ago?

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on July 02, 2017, 10:33:24 AM
Has there every been any type of independent suspension, even if only as a prototype, where the wheel actively gets pushed to the ground? Maybe that Bose system that was shown a few years ago?

All suspensions push the wheels into the ground.  There's only two reasons a wheel will lift off the ground:
1.  A sway or anti-roll bar, tying left and right side wheels together, has limited travel
2.  You've fully extended the spring or otherwise run out of extension travel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

AltinD

Quote from: 68_427 on June 28, 2017, 10:15:53 PM

Yup, it's funny how many of them you see in Dubai

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD