C&D I'm not buying a minivan test

Started by 68_427, June 29, 2017, 09:51:34 PM

cawimmer430

Holy shitty line spacing, Batman.  :mask:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Also: isn't it likeable instead of "likable"?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on June 30, 2017, 01:50:52 PM

I think I could do it, but it would have to be a newer Odyssey or Sienna or something.  An old, beat to hell Town and Country is just like waving the white flag of life.

I know I could do it, but I'm not sure I actually would do it. I have suggested it to my girlfriend as her vehicle for down the road, and she has basically said "no fucking way".

I've also figured we could just rent one for the one or two times a year we need one, like when we go on a road trip with all of us including the dogs + luggage. In the past the 4Runner has sufficed for that role, but that will change in about a week.

Without the dogs, the 4runner or something say CX9 sized should suffice fine for a family trip w/ 2 kids IMO.

Why wasn't the Highlander included, is it not considered in this class?

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 30, 2017, 07:19:18 AM
I was going to say, "well you could at least get away from them on an on/off ramp"

But 0.85g for the Acadia... 350Z on OEM tires did 0.87 :facepalm: A competent + determined driver in one of these, empty, could give "legit" performance cars a hassle

G-numbers can be misleading, especially when you're comparing them across different classes, vehicle types, etc...

No doubt this newest crop of SUVs are objectively better across the board than their predecessors, but the high G-numbers are a function of their heavy weight, large contact patches, and good rubber. It doesn't tell us anything about the way they behave in corners, their ability to handle transitions, and so on.

Relatively low g-rated cars smoke higher rated cars all the time.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 01, 2017, 08:57:52 AM

Both are acceptable, but likable is the more common American usage. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Likable has always been a weird one.  In my browser, likeable gets the red underline of "you spelled that wrong."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on July 01, 2017, 09:33:48 AMIn the past the 4Runner has sufficed for that role, but that will change in about a week.
:muffin: :muffin: :muffin: :muffin: :muffin:

I feel bad.... we don't bring our dogs anywhere.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Guess who shoved 2 bikes in the back of the vehicle, 2 bikes on the rack, and 4 people inside the other day??? :rockon:

Guess who put a fullsize bedframe in their vehicle? Full sheet of plywood? can carry 7 full-size people plus luggage??...

:rockon: :rockon:
Will

68_427

Quote from: Lebowski on July 01, 2017, 09:33:48 AM

Why wasn't the Highlander included, is it not considered in this class?

Because it didn't win the last comparison, and hasn't had any major updates since then.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AltinD

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2017, 05:23:20 AM
These prices are crazy. A bunch of mainstream SUVs around the 50K mark? If you told VW fifteen years ago that they'd be able to sell SUVs for that much, they never would have made the Phaeton.

Huh? The Touareg was engineered almost at the same time as the Phaeton, which btw went on sale in Germany on 31 May 2002

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on July 03, 2017, 02:40:52 PM
Huh? The Touareg was engineered almost at the same time as the Phaeton, which btw went on sale in Germany on 31 May 2002

And this is down market from that for 50K!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 01, 2017, 08:57:52 AM

Yes, yes it is. You know English better than these pinche gringos.

Tave

Yeah the Touareg was solidly within the luxury class here.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2017, 09:32:19 AM
They're just so....pathetic looking.  I've never seen a man driving a minivan who didn't look defeated by it.  Hell, not even women seem so thrilled about them.  It's a complete capitulation to practicality; it's a car that signifies the surrender of your entire life to the lives of your soulsucking children.  It's a car that alerts people that yeah, you're probably sticky, you don't know why, and it wasn't for a fun reason.  It says that the person you were for the first ~25-30 years of your life is dead now, and all you're doing now is waiting for your new life to come to a drooling, diaper-wearing end in some retirement home while the kids you killed your 30 year old self for go live their lives and continue the cycle of life, death, new life, and waiting to die. 

:clap: :cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on July 04, 2017, 07:39:59 AM
And this is down market from that for 50K!

Well $50K in '02 is roughly $69K now
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2017, 09:32:19 AM
They're just so....pathetic looking.  I've never seen a man driving a minivan who didn't look defeated by it.  Hell, not even women seem so thrilled about them.  It's a complete capitulation to practicality; it's a car that signifies the surrender of your entire life to the lives of your soulsucking children.  It's a car that alerts people that yeah, you're probably sticky, you don't know why, and it wasn't for a fun reason.  It says that the person you were for the first ~25-30 years of your life is dead now, and all you're doing now is waiting for your new life to come to a drooling, diaper-wearing end in some retirement home while the kids you killed your 30 year old self for go live their lives and continue the cycle of life, death, new life, and waiting to die.
Man, you REALLY care a lot about the image you project to complete strangers.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 04, 2017, 05:00:02 PM
Man, you REALLY care a lot about the image you project to complete strangers.

Everyone does.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on July 05, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
Everyone does.

Not to that extent.

If I cared about image, I wouldn't have bought the S2000. I specifically did NOT want to be seen as the young guy with too much money driving around in a fancy car to show off, which I'm certain is how a lot of people viewed me. But fuck those people - the S2k is awesome.

Likewise, if a minivan drove as good or better than the other vehicles that fit my needs, I'm not going to avoid buying one just because some stuck-up dude in a Z4 thinks I look pathetic. ;)

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 05, 2017, 03:43:55 PM
Not to that extent.

If I cared about image, I wouldn't have bought the S2000. I specifically did NOT want to be seen as the young guy with too much money driving around in a fancy car to show off, which I'm certain is how a lot of people viewed me. But fuck those people - the S2k is awesome.

Your statements are incongruous.  "I don't care about image" and "I didn't want to project a certain image" are not the same thing.  Sporty disparages image projection, but if past conversations are any indication, he certainly chooses his clothes very carefully--all part of image projection.  Car, clothes, watch, hair, whatever; everyone cares about the image they project.

Likewise, if a minivan drove as good or better than the other vehicles that fit my needs, I'm not going to avoid buying one just because some stuck-up dude in a Z4 thinks I look pathetic. ;)

As well you shouldn't.  Anyone who wants one is free to buy one.  Never said no one should buy them.  I don't recall advocating a law that says people shouldn't be allowed to buy minivans unless they sign a sworn statement affirming how pathetic they are.  I'm not aware of any proposal to make publicly shame minivan buyers. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on July 05, 2017, 03:54:35 PM
Your statements are incongruous.  "I don't care about image" and "I didn't want to project a certain image" are not the same thing.  Sporty disparages image projection, but if past conversations are any indication, he certainly chooses his clothes very carefully--all part of image projection.  Car, clothes, watch, hair, whatever; everyone cares about the image they project.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 05, 2017, 03:43:55 PM
Not to that extent.

Cookie Monster

I feel like the average consumer doesn't really care that much about how they are perceived driving a minivan. I thought SUV's mainly became popular to the average person because of the higher seating made it feel safer to drive?

Only reason I wouldn't get a minivan now is because they're all automatics. I'd definitely get a Previa or Mazda5 manual if I needed one, though.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

Anecdotally, speaking as a thirty-something with friends who're popping out kids, there's a colossal stigma against minivans. Every friend I've had who has had a kid in the last couple years bought an SUV or crew-cab pickup. Minivans weren't even in consideration.

Rich

When the generation that grew up in the back seat of an SUV gets old enough to buy on their own, the mall special SUVs will have the same connotation as the minivan.

Hell, I have it now and didn't grow up in the back of one. There's no way ever I'll be caught dead owning an SUV.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 05, 2017, 03:56:51 PM

I don't think there's anything extreme or unusual about not wanting to drive a minivan--there's a multibillion dollar SUV market that exists because of it. It's about as extreme as wearing a jersey of your home team to watch a football game.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Rich on July 05, 2017, 05:28:05 PM
When the generation that grew up in the back seat of an SUV gets old enough to buy on their own, the mall special SUVs will have the same connotation as the minivan.

Hell, I have it now and didn't grow up in the back of one. There's no way ever I'll be caught dead owning an SUV.

Not while they continue to control the narrative and lean into the image. Compare this ad:
http://youtu.be/G1Ci2UGrv1M

To this one:
http://youtu.be/kT07_c9mJLM

I mean, we're talking about one of the best SUV ads against one of the best minivan ads. And the connotations are clear. SUVs are about the independent and indefatigable spirit. Minivans are for your small children.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

The image of the SUV is backed up by capability in a number of cases.  Minivans are built to haul people.  Their ability to tow is limited.  They aren't any better than a car off road or in deep snow.  Meanwhile, many SUVs can tow a small to medium sized boat or a snowmobile trailer or camper.  Those with legit 4WD systems and decent ground clearance can go off-road to reach remote campsites or go crawling on the dunes at the beach.  Ground clearance and a decent AWD/4WD system allows them to get through deep snow.  They also have space inside for people and their stuff.  If a single person or childless couple buys a Grand Cherokee, nobody thinks there's much strange about it.  Perhaps they have a boat or enjoy camping or own dogs or all 3.  What sort of response does a childless couple get if they buy a new minivan?  Or a single, childless individual?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Cookie Monster on July 05, 2017, 04:38:28 PM
I feel like the average consumer doesn't really care that much about how they are perceived driving a minivan. I thought SUV's mainly became popular to the average person because of the higher seating made it feel safer to drive?

Minivan was practically the same as early SUVs. It's mostly the image and this

Quote from: MX793 on July 05, 2017, 06:16:52 PM
The image of the SUV is backed up by capability in a number of cases.  Minivans are built to haul people.  Their ability to tow is limited.  They aren't any better than a car off road or in deep snow.  Meanwhile, many SUVs can tow a small to medium sized boat or a snowmobile trailer or camper.  Those with legit 4WD systems and decent ground clearance can go off-road to reach remote campsites or go crawling on the dunes at the beach.  Ground clearance and a decent AWD/4WD system allows them to get through deep snow.  They also have space inside for people and their stuff.  If a single person or childless couple buys a Grand Cherokee, nobody thinks there's much strange about it.  Perhaps they have a boat or enjoy camping or own dogs or all 3.  What sort of response does a childless couple get if they buy a new minivan?  Or a single, childless individual?

is a part of that image. A vast majority of SUV drivers never take their vehicle off pavement. Yet they want the "option" to do ^^ and the different image instead of more space inside their vehicle. Minivans can tow popup campers and up to 3000lbs so small towing stuff is no sweat.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 05, 2017, 07:03:40 PM
is a part of that image. A vast majority of SUV drivers never take their vehicle off pavement. Yet they want the "option" to do ^^ and the different image instead of more space inside their vehicle. Minivans can tow popup campers and up to 3000lbs so small towing stuff is no sweat.

Minivan can tow about the same as the typical midsize family sedan (or crossover ute).  Not much.  A small popup camper.  Maybe a light, open utility trailer for an ATV, jet ski, or a couple of dirtbikes.  Granted, that's about all a midsize crossover will handle as well (CX-9, Edge, Venza).  Many crossovers can't handle more than 2000 lbs (the GM crossovers are 1500-2000 lbs).  Some can handle a couple tons (Highlander, Pilot, and Explorer, in certain trims).  The GranCho can haul up to 7000 lbs, depending on trim and drivetrain.  Touaregs can pull 7700.  Back in the days of body-on-frame SUVs, 10-15 years ago, they were much more capable.  Trailblazers were 5000-7000 lbs.  Early 00s Explorers were rated for 5000-7000 lbs.  S10 Blazers were 5500-6000 lbs.  1st generation Jeep Liberties were rated at 5000 lbs.  4Runner, which is among the last of the old-school, pickup-based, BOF midsized SUVs is rated at 5000 lbs.  By around 2010, a lot of even the BOF rigs started losing towing capacity.  Last generation of BOF Explorers were only 3500 lbs.  Second generation Liberties were only 2000 lbs.

Still, modern crossovers, by virtue of aping the look of their sturdier forebears, carry an air of capability.  Most people probably have no clue that a new Jeep Cherokee or Chevy Traverse can't even tow half of what their predecessors of a decade or so ago could manage.  Looks like a duck, must quack like a duck.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Quote from: Rich on July 05, 2017, 05:28:05 PM

I don't doubt it. One of these days I think it'll come back full circle and wagons will be cool again.

68_427

Quote from: 93JC on July 05, 2017, 09:43:27 PM
I don't doubt it. One of these days I think it'll come back full circle and wagons will be cool again.

They already are

'racecar is die'
no