Volvo announces plans to phase out gas-only engines

Started by ifcar, July 05, 2017, 06:36:31 AM

r0tor

China is also huge I hydroelectric generation.  It's a little more then 20% of their total production...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on July 10, 2017, 04:41:11 AM
They still use to much coal, but they are actually more aggressive in switching to renewables then the US. 20% of electricity in China comes from renewable sources, compared to 14% in the US.

Just look at the installed solar power capacity.

Renewable for China is mostly dams (80%+).

The US should not look at China as a model for anything good. Their central planning is going to do them profound harm in the future.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2017, 07:08:11 PM
Renewable for China is mostly dams (80%+).

The US should not look at China as a model for anything good. Their central planning is going to do them profound harm in the future.

I would not say anything good. I agree that central planning is poor in most situations, but there are certainly exceptions. Take the US Interstate System for example. That was only possible with central planning, you can not build a system like that on municipal level.

12,000 RPM

Municipalities are also immoral. Our road system should have been designed by corporations.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2017, 05:29:32 AM
Municipalities are also immoral. Our road system should have been designed by corporations.

"Can I help you with anything today?"
"Yeah, I was trying to drive home, and somehow I ended up in this Walmart."
"We know.  Let me show you to our grills."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on July 11, 2017, 02:33:53 AM
I would not say anything good. I agree that central planning is poor in most situations, but there are certainly exceptions. Take the US Interstate System for example. That was only possible with central planning, you can not build a system like that on municipal level.

Governments can (and obviously do) a lot worse than infrastructure projects but they are indeed still immoral. Remember, the US interstate system came to be firstly to facilitate troop and equipment movement for war.

If interstates are a good idea, the market will find a way.