2017 Mercedes C350e | Fully Charged

Started by cawimmer430, July 16, 2017, 04:19:56 AM

cawimmer430

Seems like an interesting car. The range on batteries (19 miles) is sufficient for the average city driver.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA9kISYstH8&t
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

The fact that this is only available in Europe as a sedan shows how serious Mercedes takes this car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on July 17, 2017, 09:18:22 AM
The fact that this is only available in Europe as a sedan shows how serious Mercedes takes this car.

:lol:

I hear you. If I were to buy one of these I'd want a wagon. Period.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

BMW is the only one of the german big 3 to seriously push electrification/hybridization. Audi and MB mainly just make PR noise and very little real product.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 17, 2017, 10:26:17 AM
BMW is the only one of the german big 3 to seriously push electrification/hybridization. Audi and MB mainly just make PR noise and very little real product.

To be fair the Mercedes' Hybrids are all mild hybrids. They still depend on the combustion engine for supplying most of the power and the electric motor is there to simply help bring the car up from 0-50 km/h. However, with the C350e you can drive it on full electric without having to activate the gasoline engine.

Aside from the Smart ForTwo Electric Drive, there's also this. But like most electric cars (with the exception fo Tesla), the range sucks.  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

It's a catch 22. Without significant investment, it's not worth doing. I do hope BMW continues to invest in the i lineup. Someone needs to show Tesla how it's supposed to be done.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

I believe I read somewhere that starting with the new A8, all Audi's will be some form of hybrid, so at minimum they are taking it more seriously than MB.  Although isn't MB more directly invested in hydrogen than the others?  I feel like I read that somewhere as well.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on July 17, 2017, 01:16:26 PM
I believe I read somewhere that starting with the new A8, all Audi's will be some form of hybrid, so at minimum they are taking it more seriously than MB.  Although isn't MB more directly invested in hydrogen than the others?  I feel like I read that somewhere as well.

Audi is just a division of VW. VW has the e-Golf already (~120 mile range), and has developed a platform for fully electric vehicles (MEB) going forward that should be range competitive (>200 miles). Audi will be able to use the platform as well once it is rolled out.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Quote from: Xer0 on July 17, 2017, 01:16:26 PM
I believe I read somewhere that starting with the new A8, all Audi's will be some form of hybrid, so at minimum they are taking it more seriously than MB.

At least the A8, and A6 will be. I guess it is a start, however the system is a compromise, with an electric motor connected to the crankshaft via a belt. It can drive the vehicle purely electric, but you are always working against engine compression.   

Xer0

Quote from: Galaxy on July 18, 2017, 03:43:09 AM
At least the A8, and A6 will be. I guess it is a start, however the system is a compromise, with an electric motor connected to the crankshaft via a belt. It can drive the vehicle purely electric, but you are always working against engine compression.

So then it sounds kinda like this:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/2018/2018-mercedes-benz-s500-european-spec-first-drive-review/