Rode in a Mercedes B-Class Taxi...

Started by cawimmer430, July 17, 2017, 10:02:37 AM

cawimmer430

Long story short, I met some friends downtown, we drank alcohol, it rained and was all of a sudden freezing cold and I had no jacket... so I didn't walk home but took a taxi. Managed to sneak this shot.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting this car to be so A) Refined, and B) Comfortable.

When comparing it to my dad's E350 CGI the ride comfort of this car was pretty impressive. The suspension was pretty quiet overall and also comfortable, but not boaty or floatish in feel. I remember the first generation B-Classes which I drove and they literally road like 1970s Cadillacs... This one? Felt like a sports car! The seats were pretty plush and soft (and had MB Tex) but offered decent side support).

The driver said the car is a 2014 model. When I glanced at the dashboard this car had just reached 200,000 km (124,274 miles) on it, and the engine was smooth and quiet. No, really quiet. Really, really quiet. And it was a diesel! I had to look twice to check the RPM dial... it's a diesel. It didn't sound or feel like one at all. I don't know if these things get better (quieter) with age, or if Mercedes' has some pretty impressive sound deadening and reducing insulation in the engine/cabin compartment, but whatever it is... impressive! There were also hardly any vibrations. In fact I didn't feel any despite trying to.

The automatic transmission was smooth, quiet and not noticeable at all. Typical modern Mercedes'.

Interior quality was typical of the A-, CLA- and GLA-Class range; good without being too fancy. It's a good quality cabin but does not blow you away like the C-Class cabin does. That being said, I'm not a dashboard fetishist and don't go feeling or touching the interior at every stoplight, and my BMW 118i cabin is noticeably "cheaper" than this...

Overall, I came away with a very positive impression of the car. I think this car, while not looking like a typical Mercedes-Benz, is definitely worthy of the star on the hood; and it's a base model car. Compared to the first generation B-Class the second generation model feels more composed, sportier (without sacrificing comfort) and more refined. To me this signifies that Mercedes-Benz has really worked hard on improving their whole lineup, even the smaller cars (and engines). If you live in a country where fuel is pricey and space is tight, this could be an interesting premium car for you, and in typical MB fashion you can spec it the way you want (personalize it).

If my dad ever wants to replace his E350 CGI with a B-Class (or GLA-Class), I don't think I'll have sleepless nights now that I've experienced it.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

CLA interior is total shit. I really don't like that car

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

B Class and the 2 series active tourer are a step too far for BMW and MB IMO.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 17, 2017, 10:02:37 AM
The automatic transmission was smooth, quiet and not noticeable at all. Typical modern Mercedes'.

I couldn't disagree more, if we're talking about the 7-speed dual-clutch. I agree it is impressively quiet though. My thoughts:

Quote from: 93JC on October 08, 2015, 09:34:18 AM
I drove a new Mercedes-Benz B250 last night. What a turd. Things I liked: the ride is okay, the interior is okay, and it's very quiet.

It has a 208 hp 2.0 L turbocharged four, and you wouldn't know it had any more than about 130 hp when driving about town. All of the blame can be laid at the feet of the atrocious 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Daimler can't design a good transaxle for transverse applications to save their lives. First gear is too short and the throttle response is terrible; you have to put your foot three quarters of the way to the floor to reasonably keep up with city traffic from a standstill, whereupon the transmission will do a herky-jerky dance into second gear at about 18 km/h. Once in second it starts to pick up some steam. As a result every single stoplight is a rope-a-dope attempt at building speed.

People who buys these things must be desperate to have a Mercedes-Benz badge on the hood of their car because anyone who cross-shopped it with anything else would be hard-pressed to justify spending money on one. For the $32,000+ this thing costs it ought to be "good", and the kindest judge would give this car a verdict of merely "okay" at best.

Quiet and comfortable to be sure, but otherwise I found it thoroughly unimpressive. Terrible value for money.

12,000 RPM

I don't know who is the bigger paid shill, MCM or Wimmer :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2017, 08:54:52 PM

You are. Just for obscure Chinese coilover companies.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 17, 2017, 05:41:57 PM
CLA interior is total shit. I really don't like that car

The interior isn't that bad at all.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on July 17, 2017, 07:29:58 PM
Terrible value for money.

Value for money is not something that ever went hand-in-hand with Mercedes.

But you gotta admit that these days they have improved their value for money. You do get more for your money as compared to five years ago for example.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2017, 08:54:52 PM

Remember when you were bitching about underpowered Euro shitboxes... and then you got to drive a 75-horsepower Fiat Panda which blew your mind?  :devil:

Try that with a B-Class. You'll probably appreciate it.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 18, 2017, 03:19:48 AM
But you gotta admit that these days they have improved their value for money. You do get more for your money as compared to five years ago for example.

The E211 started at €35,515, the current E sedan starts at €43,018.

You get more tech, but you also pay substantially more.

ifcar

Compared to other competing cars? Or because all cars give you more features and other upgrades compared to five years ago?

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on July 18, 2017, 07:37:16 AM
Compared to other competing cars? Or because all cars give you more features and other upgrades compared to five years ago?

Compared to themselves in the past. Remember the 2000s in Europe (of course you don't!)? A W203 C-Class didn't even come with air-conditioning as standard. These days you get that in every lower end MB.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 18, 2017, 07:44:04 AM
Compared to themselves in the past. Remember the 2000s in Europe (of course you don't!)? A W203 C-Class didn't even come with air-conditioning as standard. These days you get that in every lower end MB.

But aside from people who only buy Mercedes, a current-model car is most relevantly compared against its current-model competitors. Any car should have made progress from the same model five years ago.

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 18, 2017, 07:44:04 AM
A W203 C-Class didn't even come with air-conditioning as standard. These days you get that in every lower end MB.

You can't just say that you now get good value because they stopped ripping off the customer. If a Hyundai has AC as standard, it is not good value if a C class has it as standard.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Man, MB's are such good value for money now! They even come with 4 wheels, a roof and doors! The POS Benz Motorwagen didn't come with any of those things!

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

True, and as I said if not for the fact some people are desperate to drive a Mercedes-Benz I don't think the B-class would sell at all in Canada, but they sell a few thousand of them a year. But they don't sell anywhere near as many B-classes as other manufacturers sell their compact SUVs.

QuoteBut you gotta admit that these days they have improved their value for money. You do get more for your money as compared to five years ago for example.

As others have pointed out this is irrelevant if their competition is still better.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on July 18, 2017, 01:01:31 PM
True, and as I said if not for the fact some people are desperate to drive a Mercedes-Benz I don't think the B-class would sell at all in Canada, but they sell a few thousand of them a year. But they don't sell anywhere near as many B-classes as other manufacturers sell their compact SUVs.

I don't understand why the B-Class is even being sold in Canada. Isn't fuel cheap there? Aren't your garages and parking spaces huge?

The B-Class makes sense for certain markets where space is limited and car dimensions need to be small, so most of Europe and plenty of Asian countries come to mind.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 18, 2017, 03:20:42 AM
Remember when you were bitching about underpowered Euro shitboxes... and then you got to drive a 75-horsepower Fiat Panda which blew your mind?  :devil:

Try that with a B-Class. You'll probably appreciate it.  :praise:
That Panda also weighed about 2000lbs, and would still get eaten alive on American roads :huh:

The B-Class is a mediocre vehicle with an added Mercedes tax. If it were sold under any other brand you'd acknowledge it for what it is.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 18, 2017, 02:10:54 PM
That Panda also weighed about 2000lbs, and would still get eaten alive on American roads :huh:

Every B-Class has twice the power of a Panda.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 18, 2017, 02:10:54 PMThe B-Class is a mediocre vehicle with an added Mercedes tax. If it were sold under any other brand you'd acknowledge it for what it is.

And you know this because you've... driven one?

If the car made a crap impression on me I'd call it out on that, Mercedes or not.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 18, 2017, 01:49:09 PM

I don't understand why the B-Class is even being sold in Canada. Isn't fuel cheap there? Aren't your garages and parking spaces huge?

The B-Class makes sense for certain markets where space is limited and car dimensions need to be small, so most of Europe and plenty of Asian countries come to mind.

The B-class doesn't really sell well in Asian markets, either

93JC

Fuel is less expensive than in Germany for sure, but still quite a bit more expensive (20-40%) than in the US. (€0.657/L) We don't get anything other than what I presume is the top-of-the-line engine for the B-class in Europe: 2.0 L turbo, 208 hp. No diesels.

Are our parking spaces and garages huge? Not necessarily. I even said as much in your thread "The Curse of Small Parking Spaces in Europe". I'll snap a photo of the spaces at my office at some point; I wouldn't park my little Mazda 3 in some of them let alone a bigger car.

ifcar

You're describing *any* tall car with a compact footprint. The B-Class only comes to mind first if you demand a Mercedes.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on July 18, 2017, 05:37:32 PM
The B-class doesn't really sell well in Asian markets, either

It still remains an alternative in those markets for those who want or need a smaller premium car.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on July 18, 2017, 05:59:32 PM
Fuel is less expensive than in Germany for sure, but still quite a bit more expensive (20-40%) than in the US. (€0.657/L) We don't get anything other than what I presume is the top-of-the-line engine for the B-class in Europe: 2.0 L turbo, 208 hp. No diesels.

Seems like the strategy is: "Offer it there for those who want/need a small premium car."

Also, I believe Canada is often used as a "test-market" by Mercedes'. If something sells well in Canada, it may be eventually sold in the United States.

Quote from: 93JC on July 18, 2017, 05:59:32 PMAre our parking spaces and garages huge? Not necessarily. I even said as much in your thread "The Curse of Small Parking Spaces in Europe". I'll snap a photo of the spaces at my office at some point; I wouldn't park my little Mazda 3 in some of them let alone a bigger car.

I'd love to see the shots. I'm always thinking Canada, like the US, has huge parking spaces and garages to accommodate big SUVs and pickups.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 18, 2017, 05:35:45 PM
Every B-Class has twice the power of a Panda.
My wife's MKX has 4x the power of the Panda... Panda was still way more fun to drive.

If the car made a crap impression on me I'd call it out on that, Mercedes or not.
[/quote]

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 21, 2017, 09:26:54 AM
My wife's MKX has 4x the power of the Panda... Panda was still way more fun to drive.

When did your wife get an MKX?  I thought she was driving the Rabbit still.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

May I think. It was in my sig before...

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 21, 2017, 10:56:21 AM
May I think. It was in my sig before...

Not there now.  Nothing in your sig except for the crazy reflections picture of your G, something about a toilet, and the most annoying hashtag ever to be used.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Got some time in a rental CLA250 over the weekend.

Pros:
-great front seat legroom
-power
-interior materials seem fairly rugged

Cons:
-the 7spd transmission is extremely jerky with bad ratios, just terrible
-rear seat room is nonexistent
-plastic plastic everywhere
-build quality doesn't feel anywhere near the traditional "Mercedes Tank" standard

Final Verdict:
No thank you. I wouldn't think twice about buying the 2-Series over it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.