Mercedes X-Class Unveiled

Started by cawimmer430, July 18, 2017, 01:45:26 PM

cawimmer430

The concept looked so much better. Dull interior.

Mercedes X-Class Unveiled

Mercedes has officially unveiled the new X-Class pickup truck.

Billed as the first pickup from a premium manufacturer, the X-Class features a prominent grille which is flanked by LED-infused headlights. The truck has also been equipped with plastic body cladding, muscular wheel arches, and vertical taillights.

Three different configurations will be offered including a work-focused X-Class Pure, a consumer-grade X-Class Progressive, and a lifestyle variant dubbed the X-Class Power.

Regardless of which model is selected, all will feature a practical bed that comes standard with cargo area lighting and a 12-volt socket which can be used to power equipment such as air compressors and saws. The truck also has a rear bumper with an integrated step but that can be removed to allow the tailgate to open a full 180 degrees.

The interior doesn't live up to the luxurious X-Class concepts but it comes equipped a three-spoke multifunction steering wheel and circular air vents. Entry-level models have black fabric seats but higher-end variants can be ordered with leather upholstery.

A variety of different options will be available including a leather-wrapped dashboard, woodgrain trim, and a freestanding infotainment system with an 8.4-inch display.

At launch, the X-Class will be offered with two different four-cylinder engines. The X 220 d will have a 2.3-liter turbo-diesel that produces 163 PS (120 kW), while the X 250 d will have a biturbo-diesel developing 190 PS (140 kW).

The company also has plans to offer an X 200 with 165 PS (122 kW) and an X 350 d with a V6 engine producing 258 PS (190 kW) and 550 Nm (405 lb-ft) of torque.

Depending on which engine is selected, it can be paired to either a six-speed manual or a seven-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive will come standard on most models but all-wheel drive will also be available.

Despite wearing a tri-star logo, Mercedes says the truck is fully-capable of handling work duty as it features a ladder-type frame and a solid rear axle. The company also notes the truck has a payload capacity of 1.1 tonnes (1.2 tons) which is enough to carry 17 barrels of beer. Customers will also be happy to know the model can tow up to 3.5 tonnes (3.8 tons) which is enough to haul a trailer carrying three horses.

Speaking of capability, the X-Class comes standard with 202mm (7.9 inches) of ground clearance but that can be increased to 222mm (8.7 inches) with an optional off-road suspension. The model also has a breakover angle of 20.4°, a fording depth of 600mm (23.6 inches), and approach/departure angles of up to 30.1° and 25.9°.

The X-Class will go on sale in Europe this November and German pricing starts at €37,294. It will eventually be offered in a number of other countries including Australia, Argentina, Brazil, and South Africa.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/mercedes-x-class-unveiled-looks-to.html

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Needs more rear overhang.  Or are they saving room for another axle for the 6x6 version?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

That will probably sell well to the urban "don't scratch the bed with those bricks!" type buyer. Will look real macho in the office parking lot.  ;) :muffin:

Edit: Although MB tried to actually build a pickup looks like.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

This will sell like crazy to the cartels.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Quote from: 68_427 on July 18, 2017, 04:19:50 PM

This is how I'd want it.  The one up top with the bed bar looks dumb...like Honda made an even uglier Ridgeline.

cawimmer430

Oh look, you can get a stick with it.  :thumbsup:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Reading a bit more, turns out this is nothing more than a rebadged Nissan Navara/Renault Alaskan. A new low for Mercedes.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 19, 2017, 06:14:55 AM
Reading a bit more, turns out this is nothing more than a rebadged Nissan Navara/Renault Alaskan. A new low for Mercedes.

And the Renault Alaskan interior looks so much better! Is it a pretty interior? No. But it does not look so dull and boring like that of the X-Class.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

They couldn't even be bothered to ditch the garbage Nissan switchgear. 

Embarrassing.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Man, I didn't know Mercedes made a Honda Ridgeline.

First pickup from a premium manufacturer?  Dayum, throwing some major shade there.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Especially since it's just a re-badged Nissan...not even a Ford or Chevy. :lol:

Galaxy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 19, 2017, 06:14:55 AM

They have done that before.

This...

...became this...

The Kangoo at least looks kinda cute. The 3rd Generation Smart is a Renault Twingo. I am guessing this will not be the end of Mercedes' cooperation with Renault/Nissan.

MX793

There is some engine exchange between MB and Renault-Nissan as well.  And the QX30/GLA twins.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on July 19, 2017, 10:59:49 AM
There is some engine exchange between MB and Renault-Nissan as well.  And the QX30/GLA twins.

At least the QX30 is an Infinity
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 19, 2017, 09:29:39 AM
Man, I didn't know Mercedes made a Honda Ridgeline.

First pickup from a premium manufacturer?  Dayum, throwing some major shade there.

They played themselves there as well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Quote from: Submariner on July 19, 2017, 08:15:21 AM
They couldn't even be bothered to ditch the garbage Nissan switchgear. 

Embarrassing.

:huh:

I'm kind of amazed people actually bother to memorize what each manufacturer's switchgear looks like. If you showed me pictures of pretty much any modern car's switchgear I couldn't tell a Benz from a Kia.

cawimmer430

They've built pickups before. This was the W115 220D Pickup built exclusively for Argentina and Brazil.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Interesting. Makes sense.

Mercedes Says It Needed Nissan To Help Create X-Class

Mercedes-Benz has hit out at critics calling its X-Class nothing more than a re-badged Nissan Navara saying automakers must use economics of scale when building light commercial vehicles.

In an interview with Motoring at the international debut of the X-Class in Cape Town, South Africa, Mercedes-Benz Vans global head Volker Mornhinweg said the automaker won't be able to achieve the number of sales it does with its passenger cars with the X-Class. Consequently, partnering with the Renault-Nissan Alliance was a necessity.

"In the LCV business it's a common approach to work with alliance partners, and a lot of companies are working together quite successfully In the LCV business it's a common approach to work with alliance partners, and a lot of companies are working together quite successfully.

"If we would like to be attractive from a price perspective, we have to work on things together. We cannot achieve, in our LCV segment, the huge amounts of numbers as the [Mercedes-Benz] passenger cars can," Mornhinweg said.

The X-Class will be built in both Argentina and Spain and specifically target customers in South Africa, Europe and Australia. According to Mornhinweg, the marque's goal of introducing the X-Class at short notice also gave it no choice but to team up with Nissan.

"We had a target of introducing the car [X-Class] at a short-term notice, and as it's a global product, we could not build-up one facility for this product.

"Therefore we discussed it with Nissan, if they [sic] are keen or have the willingness to work with us. They have a long tradition of doing pickups, and their base overall was useable for us, so we had it done," he said.

At launch, Mercedes will offered the X-Class with two four-cylinder engines. Initially, there will be the X 220 d with a 2.3-liter turbo-diesel delivering 163 PS and the X 250 d with a bi-turbo-diesel churning out 190 PS.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/mercedes-says-it-needed-nissan-to-help.html

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

"Light commercial vehicle."

Sorry Mercedes, this isn't a commercial vehicle. It's a "premium" vehicle by your own admission.
Commercial concerns do not want premium vehicles, they want value; and any company looking to use this for commercial purposes is going to buy the Nissan version anyways.

The other argument "we didn't have time to do one all by ourselves" is even more puzzling. Why the sudden rush? Last I checked, Mercedes has been around for a while.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 20, 2017, 07:49:38 AM
"Light commercial vehicle."

Sorry Mercedes, this isn't a commercial vehicle. It's a "premium" vehicle by your own admission.
Commercial concerns do not want premium vehicles, they want value;

The most basic one might fit the bill.

giant_mtb

Indeed. People that want commercial vehicles aren't clamoring for a Mercedes truck. lol

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2017, 07:58:54 AM

Why pay the price premium for a bare-bones Mercedes when you could get virtually the exact same truck (perhaps even optioned better) for cheaper from Nissan. :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2017, 07:58:54 AM

As a business owner, what is this case for buying that over the equivalent Nissan?

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 20, 2017, 08:21:08 AM
As a business owner, what is this case for buying that over the equivalent Nissan?

You already bought Sprinter, Citans from the same dealer, and have a good professional relationship.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2017, 08:23:13 AM
You already bought Sprinter, Citans from the same dealer, and have a good professional relationship.

thats a thin rope to hang a vehicle on; good business isn't predicated on "I bought it because I already knew the salesman."

(And Mercedes Sprinters became really rare around here once the competitors started selling comparable vehicles)

veeman

One of the reasons to buy it perhaps is to impress potential customers and/or project an image that your company or country is very wealthy.  I can see a high end landscaper buy these trucks for their crew or the United Arab Emirates.  Definitely a niche market but MB has to see a potential profit in it. 

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 20, 2017, 10:03:10 AM
thats a thin rope to hang a vehicle on; good business isn't predicated on "I bought it because I already knew the salesman."

(And Mercedes Sprinters became really rare around here once the competitors started selling comparable vehicles)

Business decisions are not always entirely rational. For example, why is this tractor designed to look like something from Battlestar Galactica?

The design serves no purpose.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2017, 10:43:53 AM
Business decisions are not always entirely rational. For example, why is this tractor designed to look like something from Battlestar Galactica?

Looks like a normal tractor photographed dramatically to me.

I doubt anybody is buying it because the lights are arranged like a frowny face.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on July 20, 2017, 10:43:53 AM

lol wut