Buick VP Downplays Chances Of Seeing A Diesel Or Hybrid Regal In America

Started by cawimmer430, July 21, 2017, 04:44:54 AM

cawimmer430

Buick VP Downplays Chances Of Seeing A Diesel Or Hybrid Regal In America

The 2018 Buick LaCrosse just received a new entry-level model with eAssist but don't expect the Regal to take a similar approach.

In an interview with Wards Auto, Buick and GMC Vice President Duncan Aldred revealed the company purposely avoided adding hybrid technology to the Regal in North America. As he explained, "I honestly don't see demand" for such a system in the United States.

Aldred also dismissed the possibility of a diesel engine as he doesn't believe it would be a good fit for Buick. The executive probably has a point but General Motors is one of the few companies to fully embrace diesel engines as they offer diesel versions of the Canyon, Colorado, Cruze, and Equinox.

Things could change in the future as Buick is popular in China where the government pushes eco-friendly vehicles. As a result, Aldred said the company could quickly respond with an electrified variant if there was increased demand in the United States and Canada. Nothing is official, but the executive is likely talking about the upcoming Regal 30H which will be launched in China with "GM's latest electrification technology."

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/buick-vp-downplays-chances-of-seeing.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Wimmer, Americans see diesels as truck engines. That's just the way it is.

Raza

Boo-icky will never be a real player in the luxury crowd.  The new ones are nice looking and when I get one as an Uber, they're pleasant to be in, but I am seriously skeptical that they're actually good to drive.  Plus, it's a GM product, and I want to live. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2017, 01:10:59 PM
Wimmer, Americans see diesels as truck engines. That's just the way it is.

Modern diesels are pretty amazing in terms of refinement, responsiveness and power. They just have to try them.  :ohyeah:

It's not stopping Mazda and Chevrolet from offering diesels in your market.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Well, the bulk of Chevy diesel sales are in trucks, mostly to buyers who need the practical advantages of diesel over gas.  Most people aren't willing to sacrifice a good deal of (perceived) comfort for a few extra MPG, but people who need the longevity, torque and towing MPG will choose diesel over gas.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on July 21, 2017, 01:21:31 PM
Boo-icky will never be a real player in the luxury crowd.  The new ones are nice looking and when I get one as an Uber, they're pleasant to be in, but I am seriously skeptical that they're actually good to drive.  Plus, it's a GM product, and I want to live. 

I've got a newer Buick Regal that I detail annually and I actually quite like driving it.  Granted, most sedans feel good to drive compared to a Tacoma.  Regals certainly aren't the floaty gramma cars they uses to be.