1972 Range Rover Could Fetch As Much As The New Velar At Auction

Started by cawimmer430, July 28, 2017, 06:48:20 AM

cawimmer430

Not an SUV guy, but there's no denying that these are classics and they also look pretty good.

1972 Range Rover Could Fetch As Much As The New Velar At Auction

If you're in the market for a classic SUV that still looks and drives as it did back when it left the factory, then this Range Rover Suffix 'A' should be on your list.

There's a big 'but', however, that needs to be taken into consideration: it's SilverstoneAuctions estimated selling price of £40,000-£46,000 ($52,088-$59,901) or about as much as a brand new Range Rover Velar.

A big chunk of that cash went to a body-off restoration performed by the vendor after it was purchased in 2014. The work included the 3.5-liter V8 engine, suspension, brakes, new rubbers fitted to the windows, and a whole other bunch of stuff that eventually led to a bill in the region of £20,000 ($26,044), which is why it's in almost perfect condition to this day.

Interested bidders should know that this Range Rover left the factory in 1972, and it was registered in the same year in Dorset, UK, who kept it for 3 years, before it moved to North Wales. Its third owner bought it in February 1994 and held on to it until October 2013.

The auction takes place this weekend, on July 29-30, in The Wing building, at the Silverstone track.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/1972-range-rover-could-fetch-as-much-as.html

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Yeah, nicely restored Rovers and Land Cruisers have been going for money like that for years and years. Grand Wagoneers, CJ-8s, first gen Broncos; hell even International Scouts in prime condition fetch good money.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

That's that little Olds aluminium V8, I think. Vehicle probably runs nicely.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on July 28, 2017, 08:50:17 AM

Most of the Rovers used the Buick, but I'm far from the expert on these.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 28, 2017, 08:54:04 AM

You're right, it's a Buick. I should have known by the distributor. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on July 28, 2017, 08:50:17 AM
Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 28, 2017, 08:54:04 AM
A historical note, the Oldsmobile '215' V8 block, very similar to the small Buick V8, was used in a Brabham F1 car which won the 1966 championship.  Highly modified.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

When I was a kid I drove one of these (belonged to a friend's dad) to a classic car meet. On the way there we were flagged down by a guy who'd driven his Austin Healey into the scenery & was stuck in the mud. We drove the Range Rover into the goop, hooked up a rope, stuck it in low range, and pulled him out with absolutely zero drama. That thing was a a beast. It was just before they became a status symbol - so still fairly agricultural, but a big step up from the Land Rover.

(Now they're used by yummy mummies in Notting Hill & Kensington to take their kids to kindergarten.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 28, 2017, 02:39:57 PM
When I was a kid I drove one of these (belonged to a friend's dad) to a classic car meet. On the way there we were flagged down by a guy who'd driven his Austin Healey into the scenery & was stuck in the mud. We drove the Range Rover into the goop, hooked up a rope, stuck it in low range, and pulled him out with absolutely zero drama. That thing was a a beast. It was just before they became a status symbol - so still fairly agricultural, but a big step up from the Land Rover.

(Now they're used by yummy mummies in Notting Hill & Kensington to take their kids to kindergarten.)

My sense was they were still fairly utilitarian in the U.K. compared to here.

I will say the U.K. based forums on these are much more sensible. 

cawimmer430

As far as I know the engine was from Buick, but license-produced by the British Leyland Motor Corporation with a few tweaks or add-ons of their own. I may be wrong, though.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 29, 2017, 06:22:45 AM
As far as I know the engine was from Buick, but license-produced by the British Leyland Motor Corporation with a few tweaks or add-ons of their own. I may be wrong, though.

How were they supposed to leak oil if Leyland didn't drill holes in the bottom?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I love old Land Rovers and Range Rovers. I love the new ones too, but there was something just so honest about the old ones. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

The old ones were tools; means to accomplish work. There was no pretense to them, they were just utility vehicles. New ones are...

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 28, 2017, 02:39:57 PM
... used by yummy mummies in Notting Hill & Kensington to take their kids to kindergarten.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

Yes it was a Buick engine - licensed to BL. BL put it in lots of Rovers - & the MGB GT - can't remember if they put it anything else. It was always a favorite conversion with tune-up shops & amateurs.
Most BL engines were ancient lumps with pre war origins. They hated investing in anything new.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on July 31, 2017, 08:16:30 PM
I love old Land Rovers and Range Rovers. I love the new ones too, but there was something just so honest about the old ones. 
A stately old beast.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."