Some new pics of the '89 500SL

Started by cawimmer430, August 02, 2017, 01:49:23 PM

cawimmer430

Visited my old folks on Monday and stayed there until Wednesday. Took out dad's '89 500SL for a spin. Still runs great after all these years and the high mileage. Everything works - except that goofy 1980s car phone and that's only because you can't get the [sim] card for it (and I believe the cell infrastructure for it ceased to exist).

Some horrible snapshots taken with my Samsung Galaxy TAB A6 tablet...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

R129 is easily one of my favorite MB designs ever. Beautiful car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Have you guys owned this thing since it was new?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 02, 2017, 02:26:06 PM
R129 is easily one of my favorite MB designs ever. Beautiful car.

Definitely one of the best SL models ever.

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 02, 2017, 02:27:47 PM
Have you guys owned this thing since it was new?

My dad is the second owner. The first owner had good connections to Mercedes because his business bought hundreds of Mercedes trucks every few years. When the R129 came out, the first owner placed and order and because of his connections easily got the car within months - the waiting list for an R129 at the time was over a year long. He hardly drove it though and only owned it for I think less than five years. My dad bought it from him and we've been cruising with it ever since.

It's really a great car and despite their complexity they're not really that "high maintenance" as people make them out to be. We've just replaced wear and tear parts and the fluids. What does need attention is the roof mechanism - it needs some adjusting and oiling every 50,000 km or so (depending on how often it is used) if you want it to work smoothly.  :ohyeah:

On the V12 models the air suspension is really high maintenance - the parts wear out quickly and you need to be on the ball about checking them and replacing them before they wear out. Thankfully the first owner didn't order the air suspension.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Looks great. Surprised you are into those aggressive wheels, very 80s aftermarket.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Looks like it's been well taken care of cosmetically.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 02, 2017, 04:45:36 PM
Looks great. Surprised you are into those aggressive wheels, very 80s aftermarket.

Do they look familiar?  :praise:

My dad got those wheels for a very cheap price. Someone had ordered them for their Mercedes', but cancelled the order at the last minute. The dealership wanted to get rid of them and sold them for a cheap price. My dad went for it. Back in the day I hated those wheels - but now I am glad my dad got them because they do give the car some edginess.  ;)

The original rims on this SL were these...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 02, 2017, 04:50:04 PM
Looks like it's been well taken care of cosmetically.

Just nano-waxing and no winter driving. The car has a seasonal plate and can drive from May 1st to October 31st.

Other than that we've never done any cosmetic work on the car, except for the cloth roof, which recently was completely overhauled and replaced. After all these years of usage the cloth roof gets worn and torn and the plastic window at the rear becomes scratched and brittle.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Nice. Keeping it waxed and no winter driving definitely help!

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 03, 2017, 07:36:09 AM
Nice. Keeping it waxed and no winter driving definitely help!

Definitely! ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de