Soupe DeVille's (2nd) Dream

Started by cawimmer430, August 04, 2017, 07:18:24 AM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

LOL.

I love it.

In all honesty, my current car is the second choice; the first would have been a Roadmaster wagon.

Those little Chryslers are cool though. Actually, they're so damned lame they come around and meet cool from the wrong side. It's been years since I've seen one in the condition though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2017, 11:19:07 AM
LOL.

I love it.

In all honesty, my current car is the second choice; the first would have been a Roadmaster wagon.

Those little Chryslers are cool though. Actually, they're so damned lame they come around and meet cool from the wrong side. It's been years since I've seen one in the condition though.

I think the basic shape is pleasing, but that wood is like a touch of "extra acne" on the pretty face of a teenage girl.  :tounge:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

The faux wood gives it a character of sorts.  Without it, it would just be another humdrum wagon.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

It seems these wagons ONLY came with faux wood. Couldn't find any press photos showing them without.

The beefier wheels on the model below look better.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

I recall seeing plenty of these old slabs of metal...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

Did any of those american land yachts come with real wood?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on August 05, 2017, 11:13:40 AM

Very early on, wagons weren't made at the factory. They were converted, often by actual carriage makers, and the bodies were actually wood. The term "depot hack" ( a hack being a cab driver) was synonymous with "station wagon" until the late '40s. 

By 1960, they were all factory made and none of them were wood. Some used wood trim pieces, but the bodies underneath were all metal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 05, 2017, 09:11:58 AM
It seems these wagons ONLY came with faux wood. Couldn't find any press photos showing them without.

The beefier wheels on the model below look better.

By the '80s, about the only way to get a naked wagon was to order one; and most of the survivors now were coroner's cars.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on August 05, 2017, 11:13:40 AM
Probably the last (real) woody wagon: 53 Buick

An iconic (real) woody wagon: 46 Ford

[/img]

shp4man

Real woodies of any variety are worth big bucks these days.

cawimmer430

I'm curious, why was real wood used on the exterior of these cars? Was it because of steel/metal rationing during World War II / Korean War?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 05, 2017, 03:48:56 PM
I'm curious, why was real wood used on the exterior of these cars? Was it because of steel/metal rationing during World War II / Korean War?

Actually, I think it was tradition that kept them going past the '40's. That, and they were nice looking cars, and people still wanted them.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 05, 2017, 03:48:56 PM

No, it was because they were converted from regular sedans by small makers skilled in wooden coach making, rather than metal. Even when the factory wagons came along, people were now used to seeing them in wood.

shp4man

"Station wagons" were traditionally partially wood bodied vehicles, therefore:

The "wood" was a respect for tradition.

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 05, 2017, 02:37:57 PM
Probably the last (real) woody wagon: 53 Buick

An iconic (real) woody wagon: 46 Ford

[/img]

And that immediately looks better. Wood

cawimmer430

Ah, interesting.  :ohyeah:

Was the wood treated so that it would last? Or did they expect owners to get rid of the car when the wood began to foul?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 06, 2017, 01:08:23 PM
Ah, interesting.  :ohyeah:

Was the wood treated so that it would last? Or did they expect owners to get rid of the car when the wood began to foul?

Don't know, but I think it was finished in much the same manner as wood for boats was; it was shellacked or varnished regularly, or it soon went bad and rotted away.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 06, 2017, 08:19:53 PM
Don't know, but I think it was finished in much the same manner as wood for boats was; it was shellacked or varnished regularly, or it soon went bad and rotted away.

Would make sense to give it some varnish. I suppose that also helps it shine and look fresh!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

I think there was some thought on putting real wood on the exterior of Lincoln Blackwoods but it was too expensive.

SVT_Power

Quote from: veeman on August 09, 2017, 10:19:10 PM
I think there was some thought on putting real wood on the exterior of Lincoln Blackwoods but it was too expensive.

Had to google to remind myself what those things looked like  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

RomanChariot

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 10, 2017, 09:29:33 AM
Had to google to remind myself what those things looked like  :lol:

I just saw one of those on the road a couple of days ago.