The end of the internal combustion engine

Started by mzziaz, August 04, 2017, 02:38:13 PM

giant_mtb

Pretty rare I see trucks billowing black smoke these days.  Usually only if it's an old clunker.  There are a shitload of trucks traveling on public roads around here (logging, mining), and I've yet to be offended by them besides by their occasional (lack of) speed.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2017, 10:57:30 AM
Then you should move............................

And trucks don't come out of the factory billowing black smoke. That's not a regulatory problem, that's a law enforcement problem.

The regulatory problem is we grandfather old clunkers in every bit of environmental legislation
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 11, 2017, 11:02:46 AM
Pretty rare I see trucks billowing black smoke these days.  Usually only if it's an old clunker.  There are a shitload of trucks traveling on public roads around here (logging, mining), and I've yet to be offended by them besides by their occasional (lack of) speed.

My area is quickly becoming the east coast warehouse capital... I see shit spewers every few miles.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 11, 2017, 09:29:59 AM
Do you honestly believe that being behind a semi-truck in traffic takes days off your life?

Put your air on recirculate. :lol:

Air Pollution is probably one of largest health factors outside of directly smoking

GoCougs

I agree - I see dirty big rigs all the time, and it's nasty.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on August 11, 2017, 02:50:23 PM
The regulatory problem is we grandfather old clunkers in every bit of environmental legislation
Then lets address that. The gulf between a dirty ancient smoke billowing rig to a clean diesel truck is way ibigger than the gap between a clean diesel and an electric rig. While not having anywhere near as huge of a logistical or financial hurdle
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 11, 2017, 02:51:36 PM

My area is quickly becoming the east coast warehouse capital... I see shit spewers every few miles.

If it's up and coming, why are they not using newer trucks?  I think you're exaggerating the "billowing black smoke" bit for effect here... :huh:

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 12, 2017, 05:04:57 AM
If it's up and coming, why are they not using newer trucks?  I think you're exaggerating the "billowing black smoke" bit for effect here... :huh:

New warehouses don't mean new trucks

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2017, 05:52:03 PM
Then lets address that. The gulf between a dirty ancient smoke billowing rig to a clean diesel truck is way ibigger than the gap between a clean diesel and an electric rig. While not having anywhere near as huge of a logistical or financial hurdle

We can't because of the boo frikkin hoo trucking industry "can't afford " to buy new trucks.

Like I really give a damn about that industry.  If it moves them out of the shipping market - then lets find a new answer... But we won't because the US will take money over the environment every time

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on August 12, 2017, 10:55:26 AM
We can't because of the boo frikkin hoo trucking industry "can't afford " to buy new trucks.

Like I really give a damn about that industry.  If it moves them out of the shipping market - then lets find a new answer... But we won't because the US will take money over the environment every time

If you require all the many millions of commercial trucks to be replaced that is money that corporations won't/can't spend on new machines, new products, new buildings, new planes, etc. (i.e., other things that will emit less emissions).

WtP don't take "money over the environment." Cultures will take a natural balanced approach. For example, sidestepping the fascist nature of it, if you required all corporations to have the newest most efficient environmental tech (trucks, cars, machines, ships, processes, buildings, etc.) our culture comes to a screeching halt, which includes advancements in safety, medicine, food, etc. Circa 1925 it was totally a benefit to have very polluting industry because it saved millions of lives in total (= advancements in medicine, auto and plane safety, sanitation, food production, etc.).

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 12, 2017, 10:55:26 AM

Everything you buy in a store was brought there by a truck.  Everything.  They are the answer for the shipping market. :nutty:

Did a truck touch you in a bad place in your childhood or something?  Jesus.