***Today's shoot: Sports Cars of the 1970s***

Started by cawimmer430, August 06, 2017, 01:21:04 PM

cawimmer430

Sports cars of the 1970s and which layout is best for them.

1969 Porsche 912 - Rear Engine + Rear-Wheel-Drive

1971 Triumph GT6 - Front Engine + Rear-Wheel-Drive

or

1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe - Front Engine + Front-Wheel-Drive

For a picture series of the drivers behind the wheel, I had to ride with each car. Here are my impressions.

The Porsche was cramped but had great acceleration. Great engine sound. This one was tuned and instead of 90-horsepower it had 120-horsepower. Comfort was decent, handling ok but you have to be careful with these because the rear likes to break out. Seats were very slippery.

The Lancia was the roomiest of all the cars tested today. Agile engine, great sound. Lousy transmission, though. Despite the extreme FWD layout (the engine is located far ahead of the front axle literally centimeters behind the front grille!), the car does not understeer much, which the owner attributes to the light weight of the engine, a 1.3-l 4-cylinder. Good comfort and supportive seats.

The Triumph GT6 was a USA-reimport. Getting in and out of this thing is a pain. It used leaf springs at the rear, was very uncomfortable and extremely cramped inside. The suspension was hard and bouncy, even on smooth roads. The 2.0 6-cylinder engine was pretty nice, though. Great sound.

I felt most comfortable inside the Lancia because it was the roomiest, the most comfortable and I think it looks very pretty. But Wimmer, it's Front-Wheel-Drive and that totally sucks! No it does not. This car is nice.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Looking at these 3 cars, it seems that Italians have a much greater appreciation of beauty than others.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Maybe not the best that Italy has to offer...

but still a jewel. Simple clean lines.  The other 2 are nice.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

Is there anyone here who wouldn't choose the Porsche?  ;)

MX793

The Fulvia reminds me greatly of the Alfa Giulia Sprint 2000GTV of the early 70s.  More a sedan-based coupe like the BMW 2002, Nissan/Datsun 510, or aforementioned Alfa, than purpose-built sports car like the Triumph or Porsche.  Shows in its proportions, which are much more upright than the other two.  Still a lovely car, though.  Prettier by far than the previously mentioned BMW and Datsun.  Perhaps even prettier than its Alfa cousin.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on August 06, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
Is there anyone here who wouldn't choose the Porsche?  ;)

Reliability aside, the 6-cylinder Triumph has more appeal to me than the 4-banger version of the 911.  If I'm getting a classic, 4-banger Porsche, it better be either a 356 or a 550.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

A GTV and a 2002 is what it reminded me of; but prettier than both.  However, I would take either of them over the Fulvia simple because of engine and RWD; the 1750 GTV though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 06, 2017, 05:05:20 PM
Really? I prefer the other two...

From a practical point of view the Lancia is the easiest to live with. Roomy, comfortable, agile and also handles well. I enjoyed riding in it.

The Triumph is incredibly small and cramped and a pain to enter and exit. The Porsche is better but it's also very tight inside and controlling the car requires experience and skill.

At the end of the day it's all subjective. If you like the other two that's cool! ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

The article with my photos is finally in print.

www.wimmerfotografie.de