new car thoughts?

Started by MaxPower, August 08, 2017, 07:34:27 AM

MaxPower

Been years since I started a thread here but you guys are still the automotive resource of choice when in need.  I'm looking for a new family vehicle that can handle two kids (& car seat) and a dog, which suggests a wagon or SUV.  Three rows would be nice, but not essential.  I want a good combination of features and value and seem to keep coming back to the Subaru Outback.  I've grown up with Subarus and we've had a Legacy sedan for a long time.  But something about the Outback just doesn't excite me at all.  I'd like to not spend much over $30k if possible.

I'm looking for a new car or something that has a substantial warranty.  This car has to be no worries and absolutely reliable as I have enough breaking down on my hands with the '03 Discovery, and my truck is no spring chicken.

Thoughts?

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Cookie Monster

New Discovery? That's what FoMoJo has and it's Exploder based so hopefully it's not too unreliable.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: MaxPower on August 08, 2017, 07:34:27 AM
Been years since I started a thread here but you guys are still the automotive resource of choice when in need.  I'm looking for a new family vehicle that can handle two kids (& car seat) and a dog, which suggests a wagon or SUV.  Three rows would be nice, but not essential.  I want a good combination of features and value and seem to keep coming back to the Subaru Outback.  I've grown up with Subarus and we've had a Legacy sedan for a long time.  But something about the Outback just doesn't excite me at all.  I'd like to not spend much over $30k if possible.

I'm looking for a new car or something that has a substantial warranty.  This car has to be no worries and absolutely reliable as I have enough breaking down on my hands with the '03 Discovery, and my truck is no spring chicken.

Thoughts?

If you're okay without a third row, the new CR-V is both extra-roomy and extra-efficient for its size. And unlike most crossovers, there's a low cargo floor -- great for canine access, especially if/when the dog is older. Not bad to drive, either.

For third-row seating without getting too bulky, the Mazda CX-9 is big but looks and drives small. And for an actually compact vehicle with a small third row, the new VW Tiguan seems promising and has a long warranty.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 08, 2017, 08:17:33 AM
New Discovery? That's what FoMoJo has and it's Exploder based so hopefully it's not too unreliable.

Those start at $50k. Unless he went used, but if he wants new for $30k or less...

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FoMoJo

I'd suggest checking out an Edge; starts with a platform that the Discovery Sport starts with and is cheaper and better choice of engines.  Also the Lincoln MKX, same thing or better luxo but higher price.  Leasing is a good option for all 3.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

A used 4 runner, while good, is dynamically about as far from a wagon or jacked up wagon as it gets
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

> But something about the Outback just doesn't excite me at all

Have you driven it? It's definitely not exciting -- at least not for the H4 -- but it's much more carlike and nicer to drive than tall, tippy CUVs + SUVs. I'm always satisfied when I drive ours.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

How big is the dog?

CRV or CX-5 if something that size will work.  If not, used CX-9 or Pilot?  I like my 4Runner a lot but I don't have the third row, if third row is important not sure the 4Runner is best bet.

Raza

Disco Sport starts at 37K.

I'd say Outback or Mazda CX-9.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Outback feels more like a wagon than an SUV, IDK if that's a big thing for you.

A CRV or new Equinox would be acceptable - especially the Honda.

AutobahnSHO

(Used since they don't build them anymore) Dodge Magnum. :mrcool: :lol:
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 09, 2017, 10:05:29 AM
(Used since they don't build them anymore) Dodge Magnum. :mrcool: :lol:

I'm sure he wants something that isn't crumbling apart and doesn't feel like a Fisher-Price toy on the inside.

12,000 RPM

New CR-V punches above its weight class with that 1.5T. Looks really good too. In that vein, maybe check out the RDX and Venza. Still crossovers but very car like.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

I'm going to go against the grain here:  A new 4Runner :lol:

The things don't depreciate.  If you're looking at very slightly used, you're probably better off buying one new and holding it as long as possible.

I've got the 3rd row in mine.  It's pretty worthless.  I can carry kids with it fine, but adults are a bit of an issue.  Middle row seats need to slide as far forward to have a shot of fitting an adult.  We had 6 guys in it to go paintballing for my bachelor party.  Everyone was cramped, but it works in a pinch.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

New Chevy Equinox styling looks good.  I've driven the old model and it was a nice drive.

68_427

Not sure if there's any discounts on the Buick Envision?  I personally think the Equinox now looks like a smaller SsangYong Rodius or minivan-ish

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MaxPower

Thanks.  I don't really care about wagon v. SUV; they've all blended to the point where their shapes are not so different anyway.

I like the new Discovery but it's probably going to be more money than I want to spend.  It would probably be worth looking to see if there are any incentives.  Looks like it comes with a decent warranty.

Does the 4Runner ride loud like a truck?  It has the big tire looks but I already have two loud vehicles so this one ought to be a decent comfortable cruiser.

Quote from: Laconian on August 08, 2017, 02:50:21 PM
> But something about the Outback just doesn't excite me at all

Have you driven it? It's definitely not exciting -- at least not for the H4 -- but it's much more carlike and nicer to drive than tall, tippy CUVs + SUVs. I'm always satisfied when I drive ours.

I haven't driven the newest face lift version (2016+?) but I've spent some time driving the current generation.  It's fine, and I really have no actual complaints about it.  It's probably the right vehicle.  Outbacks are a dime a dozen around here; every other car is an Outback.  It's the most beige vehicle in Maine. 

r0tor

How about an F Pace?  Has a good size, cheaper then a disco, apparently fun to drive, and good in the snow

BMW X1 might be good as well

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Lol the prices keep escalating

I nominate the Macan Turbo S... or a GTS if you absolutely have to slum it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Bentayga (sp?) would be roomier. More comfortable too I bet.

Lebowski

CRV or CX-5 is gonna be the answer.

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on August 10, 2017, 07:45:28 AM
And also not $30k....

X1 starts in the mid 30s.. F Pace at 40

Yippee

Lebowski

Starts. Also mid 30s != 30 just ask my hairline.

r0tor

He said "much over 30"... Not under 30

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 10, 2017, 09:25:32 AM
Bentayga (sp?) would be roomier. More comfortable too I bet.

I can't read that name without thinking of the Final Fantasy VII spell system. Benta, Bentara, Bentayga
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT