new car thoughts?

Started by MaxPower, August 08, 2017, 07:34:27 AM

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on August 10, 2017, 11:40:07 AM
Starts. Also mid 30s != 30 just ask my hairline.

It's definitely not 26, based on what I remember from your Corvette pickup livestream!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on August 10, 2017, 05:59:41 PM
He said "much over 30"... Not under 30

Reaching 32 is different from starting at 32, especially with a BMW. "Oh, you wanted seats? That's going to be extra...."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

It would be pretty easy living with an X1 priced in the mid 30s

Looks good, room is good, handling is good, and reasonably equipped - shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on August 10, 2017, 05:59:41 PM

He said "much over 30"... Not under 30

Right, then we go back to the "starts at ..." part.

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on August 11, 2017, 06:58:10 AM
It would be pretty easy living with an X1 priced in the mid 30s

Looks good, room is good, handling is good, and reasonably equipped - shrug-

FWD starts at 34K and AWD starts at 36K. Among the things not included at 34K are a moonroof, auto-dimming mirrors, power folding mirrors, ambient lighting, and lumbar support. No nav, no sliding rear seats, no heated seats. It starts in the mid 30s, but not really reasonably equipped. A reasonably equipped X1 is 40K.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

NO LUMBAR SUPPORT?!  FUCK.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on August 11, 2017, 09:23:14 AM
FWD starts at 34K and AWD starts at 36K. Among the things not included at 34K are a moonroof, auto-dimming mirrors, power folding mirrors, ambient lighting, and lumbar support. No nav, no sliding rear seats, no heated seats. It starts in the mid 30s, but not really reasonably equipped. A reasonably equipped X1 is 40K.

:cry:   :rolleyes:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on August 11, 2017, 09:23:14 AM

And real leather.

Agree, an X1 is a ~$40k car.  If the OP said "I'm looking to spend not much over $40k" it would be a much more appropriate rec.

2o6

It's also basically a Countryman, and much more closer in size to a Buick Encore, rather than a 4 Runner.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on August 11, 2017, 02:34:44 PM
It's also basically a Countryman, and much more closer in size to a Buick Encore, rather than a 4 Runner.

In fairness, it's roomier than its competitors. While a subcompact, it's very space-efficient.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on August 11, 2017, 02:39:59 PM
In fairness, it's roomier than its competitors. While a subcompact, it's very space-efficient.

I guess that's true, but having driven an X1, it feels so much less SUV like. I felt like I was driving a hatchback, and I don't understand why people pay so much for this car. At least the Encore, Trax, and HRV feel SOMEWHAT more SUV like compared to their hatchback/sedan counterparts.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on August 11, 2017, 02:46:08 PM
I guess that's true, but having driven an X1, it feels so much less SUV like. I felt like I was driving a hatchback, and I don't understand why people pay so much for this car. At least the Encore, Trax, and HRV feel SOMEWHAT more SUV like compared to their hatchback/sedan counterparts.

A lot of people aren't looking for an SUV feel specifically, and just buy a crossover because that's what exists. Indeed, in this thread MaxPower said he's open to either wagons or SUVs that meet his space needs -- there are just fewer options that aren't a crossover. What hatchback has both the room and the polish of an X1? The only moderately premium hatchbacks would be the Golf and Mazda3, and they're not roomy like an X1.

MaxPower

I've been looking at Discovery Sports - while you can theoretically get one in in the mid 30s it doesn't look like dealers have any for sale under 40.  They're neat but I'm not paying 43-47 for a car.

CJ

Come buy an Outback from me.

r0tor

Quote from: MaxPower on August 13, 2017, 03:53:48 PM
I've been looking at Discovery Sports - while you can theoretically get one in in the mid 30s it doesn't look like dealers have any for sale under 40.  They're neat but I'm not paying 43-47 for a car.

The package is a bit underwhelming to be honest... It's probably the weakest position in the JLR portfolio.  They would have been better served making a cheaper version of the F Pace rather than a more useful evoque (which really only works because of its smallish size)

r0tor

Quote from: ifcar on August 11, 2017, 02:52:48 PM
A lot of people aren't looking for an SUV feel specifically, and just buy a crossover because that's what exists. Indeed, in this thread MaxPower said he's open to either wagons or SUVs that meet his space needs -- there are just fewer options that aren't a crossover. What hatchback has both the room and the polish of an X1? The only moderately premium hatchbacks would be the Golf and Mazda3, and they're not roomy like an X1.

The X1 is interesting as it brings what feels like x3/x5 interior space into a much cheaper category.  My only hangup really is the lack of a 6 cylinder engine...

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on August 11, 2017, 09:31:51 AM
  :cry:   :rolleyes:

So he should pay more money for a luxury car with no luxuries?  I thought we called those people badge whores, poseurs, or something like that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i