Son in laws new car purchase. Opinions?

Started by shp4man, August 08, 2017, 09:09:28 AM

shp4man

So Son in law recently totaled his 2016 Focus (not his fault- he's OK). He's been looking at new cars under $20K. He's found several 17 Fusions, a 17 Hyundai Elantra, and a 17 Kia Optima he likes. He doesn't care about power or sportyness.   :rolleyes: The Optima can be had for $17.5K. I told him to buy it.
Any ideas that would be better? 

Tave

The optima is a pretty good value for the money and a great looker.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

mzziaz

Tell him to man up and get a mustang. Does he vote liberal, too?
Cuore Sportivo

shp4man

Quote from: mzziaz on August 08, 2017, 11:32:34 AM
Tell him to man up and get a mustang. Does he vote liberal, too?

Ya. Hiker. Tree hugger. Amateur botanist. Insurance company appraiser.   ;)   Amazingly, he doesn't want a hybrid, although I think it's a cost thing.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

HK might offer better finance options and are easier to negotiate on than the Ford.

Ford offers a lot of incentives, tho.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

12,000 RPM

That whole Camry class is taking a beating in the market right now. If he likes the Kia he should go for it. Focus is ancient and will probably be replaced soon, which will probably gape resale values.

I still have a soft spot for those damn 200Cs though :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Optima or Elantra. It's what all the kids at work were buying when they got out of school and they seemed to serve them well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

Thanks guys. He decided, with my encouragement, on the Optima. Said he couldn't tell the difference driving wise between the Fusion and the Kia. Better warranty on the Kia- 5/50 bumper to bumper, 100K powertrain was the tipping point.

Car was cheap because it was a weird color- metallic maroon. Said he doesn't care.  ;)

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Xer0

Quote from: shp4man on August 08, 2017, 11:45:24 AM
Ya. Hiker. Tree hugger. Amateur botanist. Insurance company appraiser.   ;)   Amazingly, he doesn't want a hybrid, although I think it's a cost thing.

Sounds like he should get an Impreza hatchback.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on August 09, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
Thanks guys. He decided, with my encouragement, on the Optima. Said he couldn't tell the difference driving wise between the Fusion and the Kia. Better warranty on the Kia- 5/50 bumper to bumper, 100K powertrain was the tipping point.

Car was cheap because it was a weird color- metallic maroon. Said he doesn't care.  ;)

Looks pretty good now that they've made the grille a bit better looking.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

He decided, with my encouragement, on the Optima. Said he couldn't tell the difference driving wise between the Fusion and the Kia.

Wait, what!? How is that possible? On car forums all over the web countless car enthusiasts can tell you if a car is 0.01 seconds slower to 60 or needs an extra foot to come to a standstill, and they most certainly can tell you the difference between how a Ford Fusion and Kia Optima drives!!!   :thumbsup:  :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 09, 2017, 04:10:59 PM
Wait, what!? How is that possible? On car forums all over the web countless car enthusiasts can tell you if a car is 0.01 seconds slower to 60 or needs an extra foot to come to a standstill, and they most certainly can tell you the difference between how a Ford Fusion and Kia Optima drives!!!   :thumbsup:  :tounge:

If it were my car, told him I liked the metallic red Mazda 3, but hey... :huh:                     :muffin:

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on August 09, 2017, 04:26:28 PM
If it were my car, told him I liked the metallic red Mazda 3, but hey... :huh:                     :muffin:

I was being sarcastic - and making fun of all the "car experts" out there. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

sweet- I like that color too!  Way better than all the boring silver/grey/black/whites out there.
Will

veeman

12,000 RPM

They make the G in that color but closer to black. You have to get up close to see the red. Someone who goes to my gym has a 4dr 6MT in that color.... I am very jelly`
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs