Singer Vehicle Design collaborating with Williams on new 4.0-liter flat-six

Started by 68_427, August 09, 2017, 09:53:12 PM

68_427

QuoteSinger Vehicle Design Announces Collaboration With Williams On High Performance And Light-Weighting Services

The Porsche 911 engine presented here is part of a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.

LOS ANGELES, August 8, 2017– Singer Vehicle Design announces details of a new level of restoration and modification services commissioned by three of its clients for their air-cooled Porsche 911s. To meet the high-performance and light-weighting goals required for the restorations, Singer has undertaken a performance research study with Williams Advanced Engineering, part of Williams Grand Prix Engineering Group, and engaged the celebrated motorsports concern to engineer technical modifications and components for these restored and reimagined Porsche 911s.

The first fruit of this work is a modified, naturally aspirated, air-cooled, flat-six Porsche 911 engine with a 4.0L capacity, four-valves per cylinder and four cam-shafts, rated at 500HP.

The engine benefits from the additional insight and vast experience of famed engine designer and engineer, Hans Mezger, who is a technical consultant to the project.

The engine will power a 1990 Porsche 911 currently being restored for long-term Singer client, Scott Blattner.

The full spectrum of the enhancements provided by Williams Advanced Engineering and other technical partners will be unveiled in Scott's restored, reimagined and reborn Porsche 911 in September.

Beginning with the Mezger-designed Porsche 3.6L engine from the 1990 911, the resulting specification is as follows:
500HP
Four-valve cylinder heads
Engine speed range extended beyond 9,000 rpm
Dual-oil circuits
Cylinders and pistons with titanium con-rods
Aluminum throttle bodies with carbon fiber trumpets
Upper and lower injectors for improved performance
A carbon fiber air-box with active multi-stage resonator chamber for mid-range torque optimization
Inconel and titanium exhaust system optimized for thermal performance
CFD optimized and enlarged engine cooling fan
Ram air induction system with pressure recovery in intake plenums
Lightweight materials, including titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber are used extensively to reduce component mass and vehicle weight.

As ever, Singer's work is motivated by the desire to understand the perspectives and requirements of its clients and to present them uniquely personal restoration and modification services – always guided by the philosophy: Everything is Important.

Rob Dickinson, Founder of Singer Vehicle Design, explained: "Helping our clients realize their unique vision for a reimagined Porsche 911 with the help of automotive royalty is very much a privilege. Singer is delighted to be working with Williams Advanced Engineering and Hans Mezger to offer our clients a "next level" of restoration and modification services for their Porsche 911s. With careful and dedicated development, this iconic air-cooled engine has much to give both its existing devotees and a generation of new enthusiasts."

Dickinson stated that the full culmination of this exciting work with Williams and other technical partners will be revealed shortly and will represent a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.
Jonathan Williams, Williams Heritage Director, noted further: "The Porsche 911 has long been a standard bearer in the worlds of racing and advanced engineering – two things that we care deeply about at Williams. As an admirer of the 911, I'm thrilled that we're working with Singer and its clients on these restorations."

Singer client and commissioning owner, Scott Blattner, provided additional context saying: "My journey with Singer Vehicle Design began with the restoration of two coupes. In 2016 these were joined by my Targa, which recently ran in the famous Hill Climb at Goodwood Festival of Speed. I became intrigued by the possibility of further evolution and I'm very excited to be sharing the first details of the engine for my car."
Paul McNamara, Technical Director, Williams Advanced Engineering added: "This has been a fantastic opportunity to showcase the core capabilities of Williams Advanced Engineering. Having had the opportunity to consult with Hans Mezger – the "father" of the iconic air-cooled flat-six – about the development of the engine, our team was pleased to be able to provide a solution to Singer's clients' requirements and of course, to be a part of this iconic vehicle's continued evolution."

About Singer Vehicle Design

Singer Vehicle Design (Singer) restores and reimagines 1989 to 1994 Porsche 911s for its clients. Singer does not manufacture or sell automobiles.

Singer is not sponsored, associated, approved, endorsed nor, in any way, affiliated with Porsche Cars North America, Inc., or Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche, AG. The Porsche® name and crest and 911® are trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, and any other products mentioned are the trademarks of their respective holders. Any mention of trademarked names or other marks is for purpose of reference only.
The product of Singer's painstaking effort is a Porsche 911 restored and reimagined by Singer. Out of respect for Porsche, and to respect Porsche's trademark rights, this incredible machine should never under any circumstances be referred to or described as a "Singer," "Singer 911," "Singer Porsche 911" or a "Porsche Singer 911," or in any other manner that suggests that it is anything but a Porsche 911.

About Williams Advanced Engineering

Williams Advanced Engineering is the division of the Williams Group that harnesses Formula One derived technology and know-how to deliver highly innovative products and services to the motorsport, automotive, defence and healthcare sectors. Working in close collaboration with its customers, Williams Advanced Engineering helps meet the sustainability challenges of the 21st century and improve performance, with its expertise in aerodynamics and thermodynamics, electrification, advanced lightweight materials and vehicle integration.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I love it... Too bad the engine probably costs the same amount as a brand new 911
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I'll repeat my comment from Jalopnik

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!"

139HP/L
Over 9000 RPM!
No turbo
No coolant!

This is like cocaine fresh from the processing plant
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2017, 05:41:37 AM
I'll repeat my comment from Jalopnik

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!"

139HP/L
Over 9000 RPM!
No turbo
No coolant!

This is like cocaine fresh from the processing plant

There's plenty of coolant. Probably 15 quarts of it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

GoCougs

Impressive, but sounds like a LOT of power for a 964. I'm also impressed by that modeling/rendering job - pretty slick.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on August 10, 2017, 02:33:02 PM
are there any advantages to air over liquid cooling?

No water pump, radiator or plumbing; no coolant to worry about. Obviously there are some drawbacks, but Simplicity was the main reason.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

I've been spending too much time on the lawn tractor forum; my phone is autocapitalizing Simplicity.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

I'm just amazed that any engine bigger than a lawnmower 2-stroke could be cooled solely with air.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on August 10, 2017, 02:40:08 PM
I'm just amazed that any engine bigger than a lawnmower 2-stroke could be cooled sololy with air.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8LY-ag1vow

Used to be a pretty common thing; especially for cold weather heavy equipment.
One of the first trucks I drove was an FWD (it's the company name) air cooled V16.

Cookie Monster

Plenty of motorcycles are air cooled. I think most dirt bikes still are.

My first bike was air cooled, too. That sucked in stop and go traffic.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 10, 2017, 02:46:59 PM
Plenty of motorcycles are air cooled. I think most dirt bikes still are.

My first bike was air cooled, too. That sucked in stop and go traffic.

The only air cooled dirt bikes left are dinosaur designs that were developed 30 years ago and are sold on the cheap.  Mostly smaller displacement, low output beginner bikes and minibikes.  All MX bikes are water cooled.  Any trail bike derived from an MX bike is water cooled.

Not a lot of air cooled mills left on the street, either.  Getting harder to meet emissions without water cooling.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Yeah pretty much all dirt bikes are liquid now. Bikes like mine (which is an '08) or the ancient (but still for sale) XR650 are air cooled.  They're fucking reliable, but that's about all they have going for them.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

r0tor

12,000 RPM

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 09, 2017, 06:29:36 PM
JFC. Now this, this excites me.

You mean this is more exciting they slapping on a bigger blower hence more power on a car that already couldn't handle the power it had?

GoCougs

Meh, I'll take the lighter, more durable and more powerful LS7 for about 10% the cost.

12,000 RPM

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 09, 2017, 10:40:33 PM
Meh, I'll take the lighter, more durable and more powerful LS7 for about 10% the cost.

Well, if you don't understand the purpose of a Rolex or a Patek Phillipe, you're not going to understand the purpose of a Singer.

Payman

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Payman

Shit, sorry Sporty, I think I misread your post. I thought you were saying it sounded like an angry pickup.  :lol: