The 3 car family - how to do it best

Started by r0tor, August 12, 2017, 11:45:29 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2017, 09:24:53 AM
But you were able to do it. Nobody said a sports car would be as good as a SUV in the snow, just usable. Here's another winter sports car driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4

oOoOo wet roads. lol

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2017, 04:11:23 PM
4 seat cars are very capable. #coilovernation G is just as fun as the Z, but so much more usable and refined.

After spending more time in the 228i, I'd say it's caught in the middle. I'd go up to a 3 or down to the Z4. 4 5' 9"+ adults need more room.

That's the crux of the question... Better to stay solidly in sports car land and supplement with daily drivable ute, or move to sports sedan land for the daily driver and suppliment with old ute used only for few days
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 13, 2017, 06:38:23 PM
oOoOo wet roads. lol

I've been there.  You do feel a certain level of badass while in the white stuff in a sports car... Only to find out later how epically a non event the conditions really are in something more capable
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2017, 06:42:48 PM
I've been there.  You do feel a certain level of badass while in the white stuff in a sports car... Only to find out later how epically a non event the conditions really are in something more capable

Really don't need to educate me. ;)

r0tor

What is impressive about driving an awd car in the snow?

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2017, 06:58:52 PM
What is impressive about driving an awd car in the snow?

Nothing.  Did I say it was?  Just saying you don't need to tell me about white knuckle driving in the snow.  My first car was a FWD Monte Carlo.  My second vehicle was a Bravada whose 4WD didn't work.  Then I had the A4.  And now I have a truck that stays in 2WD 98% of the time during the winter while my local streets are covered in hardpack for 4 months straight.

But please, tell me about how crazy it is to drive on wet roads when it's cold outside.  I was responding to sporty's video/post.  Not you. lol

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 12, 2017, 08:20:31 PM
Can't the Tuscon handle most cargo that the 4runner takes?
Quote from: Lebowski on August 12, 2017, 09:25:40 PM

I was wondering the same, are you making that many trips to Home Depot that the Tucson (and eventually Highlander!) can't handle that you need 4runner?
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 12, 2017, 10:40:24 PM
Last I checked, the Highlander comes with AWD..................
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2017, 07:56:58 AM
There are plenty of non-SUVs that are capable of driving in the snow. Hell, an S2000 on snow tires can get around in the white stuff.

Most of my trips to Lowes are in the G or Civic.

I don't get what you guys are arguing.  Are you saying I should be daily driving the S2000, and we share the Tucson if we need to go to Home Depot?  And just get by with 2 cars?

Of course the Tucson can handle most trips to Home Depot.  The 4Runner hauls gravel, mulch, 2x4s, etc much better.

And thank you sporty for informing me about sports cars being able to be driven in the winter.  You know, living in Ohio and driving a miata and BRZ through multiple winters, I've never learned that. :lol:

We both have jobs and lives.  We can't always share a car if it's snowing.  I had only a sports car for more years than most on this forum.  It's a pain in the ass in snow.  I want a second vehicle to carry people/stuff and also use in the winter.  The 4Runner fills that role really well. :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I plan on having the El Camino, a sedan (Civic), and a decent SUV (4runner/Cherokee/wild card Transit van). Future wife can decide which of the two normal cars to drive every day and I'd be happy with the other. El Camino for nice days and fun stuff.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 13, 2017, 07:02:35 PM
Nothing.  Did I say it was?  Just saying you don't need to tell me about white knuckle driving in the snow.  My first car was a FWD Monte Carlo.  My second vehicle was a Bravada whose 4WD didn't work.  Then I had the A4.  And now I have a truck that stays in 2WD 98% of the time during the winter while my local streets are covered in hardpack for 4 months straight.

But please, tell me about how crazy it is to drive on wet roads when it's cold outside.  I was responding to sporty's video/post.  Not you. lol

I was trying to express the exact emotions described in the video from driving a RWD sports car in the snow and feeling like your giving every SUV,  truck, fwd, and AWD vehicle driver the middle finger.  The feeling of boldness does exist until you later find out how it's just being epically stupid boasting about driving in weather that can be made mundane.

... Not really questioning if Michigan gets snow...

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on August 13, 2017, 07:22:34 PM
I don't get what you guys are arguing.  Are you saying I should be daily driving the S2000, and we share the Tucson if we need to go to Home Depot?  And just get by with 2 cars?

Of course the Tucson can handle most trips to Home Depot.  The 4Runner hauls gravel, mulch, 2x4s, etc much better.

And thank you sporty for informing me about sports cars being able to be driven in the winter.  You know, living in Ohio and driving a miata and BRZ through multiple winters, I've never learned that. :lol:

We both have jobs and lives.  We can't always share a car if it's snowing.  I had only a sports car for more years than most on this forum.  It's a pain in the ass in snow.  I want a second vehicle to carry people/stuff and also use in the winter.  The 4Runner fills that role really well. :huh:

I started the thread... Only chaos and insanity should be expected  :lol: :popcorn:

12,000 RPM

Dude in that video didn't seem too stressed. Snow tires go a long way. Plus depending where you are and where you work you might not need to go out in a snow storm in the first place.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

The more I think about it, the 3rd car should be something dirt cheap for when you have repairs or something. Problem with that is parking, and over time the cost of loaners vs insurance/maintenance is probably lower. Seems silly to keep a car for like 2-20 days out of the year of non-pleasure related usage. Hell, seems silly to keep a car for 2-20 days out of the year of pleaure related usage.

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on August 13, 2017, 07:22:34 PM

I just thought it was odd Home Depot was the main reason for hving it, esp when you already have a Tucson (and eventually highlander). How often do you go to Home Depot?

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 14, 2017, 12:13:17 AM

The more I think about it, the 3rd car should be something dirt cheap for when you have repairs or something. Problem with that is parking, and over time the cost of loaners vs insurance/maintenance is probably lower. Seems silly to keep a car for like 2-20 days out of the year of non-pleasure related usage. Hell, seems silly to keep a car for 2-20 days out of the year of pleaure related usage.

Those occasional times like a car is in the shop Uber suffices imo, plus has the added benefit of massively pissing off Gougs.

12,000 RPM

If you need a sports car there's no other way. But for me right now a sports car is unnecessary. There are a lot of great 4 seat cars

Not sure how a 4 Runner handles cargo better than a Tuscon aside from being bigger. And again how much gravel/mulch/2x4s are you buying? Are you building a second home? I'm on 1/3 acre and we do all our own landscaping and don't make that many big Lowes' purchases. Something is not adding up with these Home Depot trips. Maybe you need a Promaster :lol:

MrH

Just because I said we take the 4Runner to Home Depot doesn't mean that's the only thing we ever use the vehicle for... :confused:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on August 14, 2017, 06:44:59 AM
Just because I said we take the 4Runner to Home Depot doesn't mean that's the only thing we ever use the vehicle for... :confused:

That's the way I understood it.

Do you have a separate vehicle for Lowes?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Never said it was :huh:

My points haven't changed....

- You can drive a sports car in the winter (as you have demonstrated)
- You don't need more than 1 "Home Depot" car in the fleet (i.e. your wife's Highlander will be enough)
- Once you have 1 "Home Depot" car, if you live somewhere where you can only drive a sports car a couple months out of the year, 1 sporty 4-5 passenger car + 1 "Home Depot" car makes more sense than 2 HD cars and a sports car IMO, especially since said sporty car can come with AWD

Now if you just have to have a sports car in the fleet then it is what it is, but I'm no longer convinced that the DD + "Philisophical Miata" is the right setup objectively. An all rounder with good dynamics and practicality is pretty damn good for the daily grind

Lebowski

No, didn't take it that literally just the way it was worded.  If it's important enough to mention seems like it's a significant reason for owning (and kinda redundant with another SUV in the household?)

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 14, 2017, 06:48:49 AM

I'm saving up for a Ford F150 for those trips to Lowes.  In a few years after, a full size van for Menard's.  Running out of driveway space though unfortunately.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 14, 2017, 06:48:49 AM

This made me lol.  :lol:

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 14, 2017, 07:02:52 AM
Never said it was :huh:

My points haven't changed....

- You can drive a sports car in the winter (as you have demonstrated)
- You don't need more than 1 "Home Depot" car in the fleet (i.e. your wife's Highlander will be enough)
- Once you have 1 "Home Depot" car, if you live somewhere where you can only drive a sports car a couple months out of the year, 1 sporty 4-5 passenger car + 1 "Home Depot" car makes more sense than 2 HD cars and a sports car IMO, especially since said sporty car can come with AWD

Now if you just have to have a sports car in the fleet then it is what it is, but I'm no longer convinced that the DD + "Philisophical Miata" is the right setup objectively. An all rounder with good dynamics and practicality is pretty damn good for the daily grind

- Driving a sports car in the winter is awful.  Trust me, I know.  r0tor nailed it.  It's kind of fun and exciting to power slide around when you're young and don't have any real responsibilities.  When you're sleep deprived, have a big client visit, and you're trying to get to the office while drinking your coffee, it's just stressful.  The 4Runner is a monster in the snow.  The first winter with it, we had a big snow storm.  Highway was only plowed on a couple of lanes.  Complete gridlock trying to get home.  The left two lanes were unplowed.  I just threw it in 4HI, and stomped on it.  I beat my estimates to getting home by like an hour.

- No, we don't need it.  It's nice for my other vehicle to have some utility.  She drives a CUV because of choice.  She's had a CUV of some sort since she started driving.

- I don't see the benefit of really having a sedan instead of a 4Runner.  If it got totaled tomorrow, I might consider a 2018 V6 Camry or 2018 Accord with a stick, but they're both lacking AWD.  I strongly considered an Outback over the 4Runner, but ended up with the 4Runner.  I like the looks of it a lot better, and I got it with a 3rd row, which comes in handy once in awhile.  Give up some in driving dynamics, but for the daily commute, dynamics don't matter all that much.  Comfy ride and utility are much more important.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

Yeah if you're gonna have a third car the 4Runner makes sense. I think what he was getting at was a fun-ish sedan to replace both the 4runner and s2000 to get to two cars total.

r0tor

I see no need for limiting to 2 cars - especially in the northern climates if your an enthusiast

Basic question remains should the sporty car be a daily driver, or the utility car be the daily driver

Lebowski

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on August 14, 2017, 07:47:31 AM
Yeah if you're gonna have a third car the 4Runner makes sense. I think what he was getting at was a fun-ish sedan to replace both the 4runner and s2000 to get to two cars total.

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on that a bit.  If I went down to one car, I'd likely have to go a separate set of wheels and tires, which add another head ache.  Now, I just run KO2s on the 4Runner, and summer tires on the S2000, and just grab whichever fits the climate.

I haven't found a car that can do both as well.  Some of us can't afford an M3 :lol:  The gap between an all around vehicle like a GTI or Chevy SS and the S2000 is massive in terms of feel.  I'd rather just have two cars.

Quote from: r0tor on August 14, 2017, 07:53:48 AM
I see no need for limiting to 2 cars - especially in the northern climates if your an enthusiast

Basic question remains should the sporty car be a daily driver, or the utility car be the daily driver

I spend more time sitting in traffic going to work and back every day than anything else.  The comfy, utility vehicle gets a lot more use.  So more is spent on that than the sports car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Even an M3 though requires at least owning a WI term beater at bare minimum

12,000 RPM

If your commute is crappy them it doesn't matter. I don't spend any time in traffic, and about 20-30% of my commute is on back roads. #LivingTheDreamCuz I've said as much in the past but forgot here- commute dictates the fleet. Shitty commutes are just one of many reasons I fled the north. If I lived up there I would probably drive a crossover and nothing else between they roads, weather and traffic.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: r0tor on August 14, 2017, 07:53:48 AM

Or... best of both worlds with a manual wagon.

The Outback is still fun on twisty roads while being able to haul a crapload of things. It's comfortable to DD (though my standards are low), unassuming enough (doesn't get a ton of attention from people), but still is fun and engaging when you want it to be.

The only thing it's really lacking is steering feel but even that's not a big deal, especially on the street.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2017, 04:11:23 PM
#coilovernation G is just as fun as the Z

Sad state of affairs, then!  ;)

Anyway, yes. Drive the fun car everyday, then whatever the wife wants, and a utilitarian (probably an SUV) vehicle for occasional use. I plan on doing the same, but without the wife.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.