The 3 car family - how to do it best

Started by r0tor, August 12, 2017, 11:45:29 AM

r0tor

So this has been on my mind for a little while now.  What is the best approach to having 3 cars for 2 drivers? 

Obviously having an extra car affords the enthusiast of the family to cover all the family needs plus having a little fun for yourself... while the spouse gets their daily driver as well.   But should the fun car be a dedicated car for only carving back roads on the weekend - or should it also be a daily driver so your always having fun?  Should the utilitarian car be something you only use for camping trips and going to home depot - or should it also be a daily driver and allow your fun car to be more focused.

Its obvious to me that one of the cars needs to have more bandwidth to allow the other to be more focused.  But which should that large bandwidth car be?  :huh:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I personally had a fairly simple 3 car solution...

Focus - economical daily driver for the wife (who refuses to drive larger vehicles)
RX8 - Absolute weapon for carving back roads
JGC - Utilitarian bad weather, vacation, and home depot mobile.  It's an absolute tank in bad weather and rough terrain.

I was more then satisfied with that setup for many years.  But back the my commute was shorter and basically just back roads and side streets.  Now my commute is 90% highway and doesn't suit the RX8 (to loud and hyper to ever relax while driving) or the Jeep (I absolutely fight to stay awake as it gently bobs and floats down the road).

I'm thinking one need an upgrade...

Could replace the RX8 with something like a 2 year old CPO M3. Would be more adaptable to the highway plus still a blast on back roads.  Still can fit the family in it.  But I love the RX8 and probably have too much emotional attachment to it.  Plus our climate dictates I'd still be driving the damn Jeep most days.

Could replace the Jeep with something more like a newish  X5 or JLR product.  Sacrificing some offroad capability and bad weather capability for on road handling.  Id benefit from a nicer vehicle most days... But us this near the end of days when I can buy a drivers car from the new age Golden Era of high performance automobiles?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

It's kind of ironic that the car that you literally require which satisfies all these criteria is this...

The Mercedes R63 AMG:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Replace the Cherokee with an F Pace.  That's all you have to do.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 12, 2017, 12:00:18 PM
It's kind of ironic that the car that you literally require which satisfies all these criteria is this...

The Mercedes R63 AMG:lol:

Rather not be that depressed middle aged man driving a wagon broken down on the side of the road...

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

I had minivan, Legacy wagon, Miata. Was heavenly.
Will

Lebowski

I would figure out how to get it done with 2 cars.  A reasonably fun to drive wagon or hatch?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on August 12, 2017, 02:21:39 PM
I would figure out how to get it done with 2 cars.  A reasonably fun to drive wagon or hatch?

Unthusiast

12,000 RPM

3 car solution is unnecessary if

- unthusiast is willing to drive the bigger car
- enthusiast car can be all weather

Wifey is cool with crossovers so it's open season for me. I've been riding less and less now with the G. Something like my friend's 228i or a 997 C2 would be absolutely perfect. For snowy stuff just get something AWD.... plenty of stuff (911 C4, WRX, S4, xDrive BMWs etc.). Hell, some crossovers are not bad (though fun and practicality seem to be on different ends).
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Our setup:

Wife has a Tucson now. In a few years, we'll get a Highlander or some other 3 row CUV for her.

Utility vehicle is my 4Runner. We take that to Home Depot and when we need to haul stuff.

Fun car is the S2000 that only I drive.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on August 12, 2017, 02:21:39 PM

Your M3 makes that decision easy.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on August 12, 2017, 03:22:21 PM
Our setup:

Wife has a Tucson now. In a few years, we'll get a Highlander or some other 3 row CUV for her.

Utility vehicle is my 4Runner. We take that to Home Depot and when we need to haul stuff.

Winning choice.
Will

CaminoRacer

Can't the Tuscon handle most cargo that the 4runner takes?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

Our setup:

I was wondering the same, are you making that many trips to Home Depot that the Tucson (and eventually Highlander!) can't handle that you need 4runner?

r0tor

Last I checked, he lives on a snowy climate...

12,000 RPM

Last I checked, the Highlander comes with AWD..................

Submariner

Quote from: 68_427 on August 12, 2017, 01:43:36 PM
Cherokee SRT?

He's worried about unreliability and you suggest something from the Chrysler family?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 12, 2017, 10:40:24 PM
Last I checked, the Highlander comes with AWD..................

Is he suppose to share the Highlander on snowy days?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2017, 07:47:39 AM
There are plenty of non-SUVs that are capable of driving in the snow. Hell, an S2000 on snow tires can get around in the white stuff.

Most of my trips to Lowes are in the G or Civic.

r0tor

I drove a RX8 with snow tires for 6 years... It in no way shape or form was ever as competent in the snow as my jeep (or his 4 runner) in the snow.

Just Baca use you can do something doesn't mean that everyone wants to do it

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2017, 07:47:39 AM

Are they often taking both cars simultaneously to Home Depot?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on August 13, 2017, 08:49:45 AM

Are they often taking both cars simultaneously to Home Depot?

If the wife works and he works, who gets to go to work that day?  Again you can slap a set of winter tires on an S2000 and it's still going to suck on anything but a light snow... Been there, done that

If you live in the snow belt and wish to have a sports car, more often then not it requires an additional vehicle for the winter.  It's just a fact of life.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2017, 08:42:37 AM
I drove a RX8 with snow tires for 6 years... It in no way shape or form was ever as competent in the snow as my jeep (or his 4 runner) in the snow.

Just Baca use you can do something doesn't mean that everyone wants to do it
But you were able to do it. Nobody said a sports car would be as good as a SUV in the snow, just usable. Here's another winter sports car driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4

The Home Depot argument is questionable too. Are you guys working in construction/landscaping on the side? How often are you going and what are you buying? I just built my wife a hack squat machine and regularly have some kind of woodworking project along with all the yard work shit. I would say I'm in Lowes 3-4 times a month and probably need her crossover like 10% of the time. For big shit Lowe's often has free delivery included in the deal too, I just don't always use it. But you guys talk about going to Home Depot like buying groceries.... whats the deal?

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on August 13, 2017, 09:17:14 AM

If the wife works and he works, who gets to go to work that day?  Again you can slap a set of winter tires on an S2000 and it's still going to suck on anything but a light snow... Been there, done that

If you live in the snow belt and wish to have a sports car, more often then not it requires an additional vehicle for the winter.  It's just a fact of life.

:huh:

I'm just going by what H said he uses it for:

68_427

Quote from: Submariner on August 12, 2017, 11:33:45 PM
He's worried about unreliability and you suggest something from the Chrysler family?

A 10 year old AMG with production numbers under 500 is a totally different animal than a new Jeep. 

Did you also happen to read between the lines and see him complaining about the reliability of his 1st year FCA product for the better part of 5-6 years?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CJ

We have four cars for two drivers right now.

-CTS
-Genesis
-M235i
-Outback

I have a demo from work, so I park the CTS in the garage. I had it detailed last week and it looks excellent...sitting in the garage. You know, the only time I drive it is to take it to the dealership when something's broken. The key was peeling, so I dropped it off and had it detailed too.

Fuck that car.

Cookie Monster

I didn't have a 3 car setup, but I was doing something similar to you, daily the NC. It was fun but got tiring, especially due to the lack of space.

I think if I had a spouse, it would be:

-Spouse drives whatever she likes
-Fun wagon or hatch for daily and utility uses (Outback is perfect for this)
-Sports car for weekend/track
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

4 seat cars are very capable. #coilovernation G is just as fun as the Z, but so much more usable and refined.

After spending more time in the 228i, I'd say it's caught in the middle. I'd go up to a 3 or down to the Z4. 4 5' 9"+ adults need more room.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2017, 09:24:53 AM
But you were able to do it. Nobody said a sports car would be as good as a SUV in the snow, just usable. Here's another winter sports car driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4

This is a typical snowstorm in a sports car...
- adrenaline rush fueled by anxiety and fear
- time spent trying to understand how bad the roads are
- identifying multiple routes you can take depending on how shitty it really is
- making constant decisions approaching hills and deeper snow of weighing the risks of going to fast and crashing vs going too slow and getting stuck

Its fine when your in your 20s and single and don't give a fuck.

Snowstorm in a JGC is...
- verify snow on the road is less than bumper high... If it is that high grab your snowboard and call in sick to work
- decide of help of ignore the people stuck on the road.