2o6 Review - Buick Lacrosse

Started by 2o6, August 13, 2017, 10:26:28 AM

2o6

To make a long story short, I did this to my Sonic in a kind of dumb accident. Car is mechanically fine, but obviously it needs repaired. While my car is at the body shop, I have a rental car (covered by insurance). Initially, I was told that my insurance would cover a small SUV, which I was stoked about since I'm moving and I could use the extra space.

Well, Enterprise is hot garbage. I got there to my scheduled time, and they had ZERO cars. They offered me a Terrain (which I declined). Then they tried to get me in a Mustang (too small for what I need), then a Mirage (HELL NO), then a Compass/Patriot.  :lockedup:

The clerk told me to stop back at the end of the day, and I should have better choices.

I showed up again, and reluctantly I accepted the Lacrosse they had left. It's a nice car, and it's a "premium class" car, but it's totally wrong for my needs. I might take it back tomorrow and see if they have a small SUV.

+ It's super fast. 310HP, and an 8AT. Despite being FWD, it never really feels out of it's depth with all that engine.

+ The 8AT is very adept at being in the right place at the right time. Shifts are imperceptible and smooth. The trans logic is typical GM - run to top gear and never really wants to come out, but I typically drive more conservatively in automatic trans cars so it works well enough for me.

+ it's smooth riding, but shockingly agile when it needs to be.

+ the steering is light, but comfortable and accurate.

+ the GUI interface on the gauges is slick and sophisticated. Lots of easy-to-read menus and customization.

+ Apple carplay, works flawlessly. Also GM's internal handling of audio from my phone also works well, too.

+ Buick INTELLILINK (rebranded GM MYLINK) is responsive and easy to use.

+ I like the BMW style e-shifter. It's a lot less confusing than Chrysler's attempts; the detents that engage Drive, Reverse, Park, and Manual mode are clear and precise.

+ There's loads of room, and the less restrictive interior design makes it feel roomier and less narrow than the old car.

+ the lower beltline and more glass area gives it better visibility and light in the cabin

+ despite having 310HP, the fuel economy is okay. I'm averaging around 23MPG. But once again, I am driving more conservatively than I usually do.

+ it's very quiet

- The interior is nice enough, but it's not as much of a quantum leap over the platform-mate Malibu as you'd think.

- I don't mind the stop/start, it's quiet and quick, but you should have an option to turn it off.

- All of the inputs for the gear select (press to unlock shifter, press to start car) take a longer push than I'm accustomed to compared to BMW's. I'm used to quickly pressing the button and flicking the knob, etc. In this Buick, you have to be a bit more deliberate.

- this car is totally wrong for my needs. It's a large car, and I live on a college campus with no off-street parking.

- 23MPG isn't horrible, but not great compared to the small cars I'm used to. Funny enough, I feel like the small SUV I'm gonna try and get will likely match it in economy, but be much, much slower.

I really like it. However, with my fashion choices and music choices, driving this Buick literally makes me feel like I'm my father.

12,000 RPM

Sounds like the Maxima I reviewed. They should make these light weight 2 row crossovers.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2017, 10:49:51 AM
Sounds like the Maxima I reviewed. They should make these light weight 2 row crossovers.

GM is working one a midsized one bigger than the Envision, but smaller than the Enclave

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2017, 11:04:06 AM

GM is working one a midsized one bigger than the Envision, but smaller than the Enclave

So.....a Buick Equinox?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 13, 2017, 11:16:39 AM
So.....a Buick Equinox?

The new Equinox is smaller than the old one. It be more like a Buick Ford Edge

Xer0

I'm really digging this evolved Buick design language.  The longer/lower cars really lets it flesh out some of the bubbly/awkward parts of the prior gen cars.

CALL_911

I gotta say, the Lacrosse looks great.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Could have a Maserati badge on it and unknowing people would probably think it's really a Maser.

Laconian

Looks great, drives great, badge baggage causes seriously mixed feelings. Sounds about right for my experience.

I got a solid 33mpg driving 80mph in Utah, thanks to that really tall 8th gear. The engine runs so smoothly you don't even know it's working.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on August 13, 2017, 01:02:32 PM
Looks great, drives great, badge baggage causes seriously mixed feelings. Sounds about right for my experience.

I got a solid 33mpg driving 80mph in Utah, thanks to that really tall 8th gear. The engine runs so smoothly you don't even know it's working.
Speaking of badges, I've never been keen on their current badge; something off about it.  It would even put me off buying a Buick, though I like the brand.

I liked this badge a lot better...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Is a Terrain not the small SUV your insurance covers? 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on August 13, 2017, 02:37:13 PM
Is a Terrain not the small SUV your insurance covers?

It's the old Terrain, and I didn't want it

CaminoRacer

I've told my parents that one of these would be a good replacement for their Mazda, but I think the badge ruins it for them as well. Such a shame.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

I dig Buicks and the old geezer stigma associated with them.  When considering recommending one however I always have a hard time because the price is not much different than a Lexus ES 350.  True car says average transaction price of new Buick is around 37 thousand while for the Lexus its 38 thousand. 

GoCougs

The Lacrosse is totally a better car than the ES350. The hitch is GM for some time has made a good/better vehicle on paper than a lot of the competition, but do you really want to own it after say 8 years and 150,000 miles?

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on August 13, 2017, 09:19:56 PM
The Lacrosse is totally a better car than the ES350. The hitch is GM for some time has made a good/better vehicle on paper than a lot of the competition, but do you really want to own it after say 8 years and 150,000 miles?

I drive plenty of Impalas and Buick sedans of that age and they're still great.  Perhaps a little boring, but those sedans hold up well if properly maintained (like any car, really), and are still super comfy and quiet.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 13, 2017, 09:36:27 PM
I drive plenty of Impalas and Buick sedans of that age and they're still great.  Perhaps a little boring, but those sedans hold up well if properly maintained (like any car, really), and are still super comfy and quiet.

Maybe GM has its act together now and if so good, but that's a new thing - long term reliability/durability has always been sketch if not terrible.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on August 13, 2017, 09:39:51 PM
Maybe GM has its act together now and if so good, but that's a new thing - long term reliability/durability has always been sketch if not terrible.

You don't see these things everywhere? :lol:

68_427

The ES is a great car if you don't care about sporty handling.  I'd take one over the Buick if I weren't the one driving it.  The quality is just better and it feels more premium, especially in the back as a livery car with rear climate controls in the center armrest, and nothing in the Buick can match the Mark Levinson stereo for quality of sound.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Americans keep cars for about 6 years. I think GM makes cars that can last that long. Especially cars that aren't cynically built to cost like the Lacrosse.

veeman

I'd take the Buick LaCrosse over the Lexus ES just because outside of the old geezer crowd, you don't see that many Buicks and I always liked yesteryears Buick LeSabre which the LaCrosse is today's Buick version of it. 

However the Lexus interior is better.  It always has been. Buick reliability is actually pretty good.  The Lexus dealerships are much more upscale than Buick dealerships and  dealership service will likely be better.  Plus the Lexus name is loads better than Buick to most US customers. 

In the U.S. Buick and Cadillac car sales are tanking. The Chinese love Buicks however. 

Xer0

The ES is at the end of its current cycle though and likely still retains much better resale at minimum.  I'd wait to see what the next gen ES is like.

AltinD

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 13, 2017, 12:58:26 PM
Could have a Maserati badge on it and unknowing people would probably think it's really a Maser.

An Opel being mistaken for a Maserati?  :nono:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AltinD on August 18, 2017, 02:58:41 PM
Certainly. A Maserati is just a Chrysler with a Ferrari related engine, and people just go off how a car looks if they can't recognize the brand

giant_mtb

Take off the Buick badges, throw on some Quattroporte badges, and I bet you could fool some people.  I mean, they both have silly fender vents... :lol:

ifcar

This one is a big American Buick, no Opel rebadge.

Tave

I don't think people shy away because of reliability concerns; they're turned off by the senior citizen stigma.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on August 26, 2017, 08:40:21 AM
I don't think people shy away because of reliability concerns; they're turned off by the senior citizen stigma.

Both, but it seems to be changing. I have a not insignificant amount of friends with new Buicks. (Verano, encore)

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on August 26, 2017, 09:42:44 AM
Both, but it seems to be changing. I have a not insignificant amount of friends with new Buicks. (Verano, encore)

Buick was always viewed, deservedly or not, as the most reliable of GM's offerings, and generally scored well in the long term reliability surveys.

Its sales decline had nothing to do with consumer perception on durability. People stopped buying them because the average purchasing age shot up like a rocket and no one knew a peer who bought one new.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on August 26, 2017, 08:05:20 PM
Buick was always viewed, deservedly or not, as the most reliable of GM's offerings, and generally scored well in the long term reliability surveys.

Its sales decline had nothing to do with consumer perception on durability. People stopped buying them because the average purchasing age shot up like a rocket and no one knew a peer who bought one new.

Also Buick made trash vehicles