One (1) Subaru tire

Started by AutobahnSHO, August 31, 2017, 12:45:59 PM

AutobahnSHO

Wife had a low tire last night, I said there was a piece of metal in it, she said, "was it rusty?" I said yeah, she said "yeah I think I hit a piece of someone's broken exhaust in the road".

Took it to local Firestone, they said that wasn't punctured all the way through, but there was like a finishing nail really close to the sidewall, they can't repair it. They of course want to sell me 4 tires. With a roadside hazard so "next time" they pro-rate the sale of 4 tires.
They say this tire is at 6/32", or "about half tread".

Doesn't tirerack shave tires if desired? If I order the exact same tire and have them shave it to match the tire? Should be way cheaper than throwing out 3 halfway good tires??

ARGH.
Will

shp4man

Shave the tire? WTF? Why?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on August 31, 2017, 12:49:18 PM
Shave the tire? WTF?

replace 4 half-good tires because of a nail? WTF?
Will

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

Yes, shave it. Subarus don't like having different height tires, which is why you'd need a set of 4 if the new one isn't shaved.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Sounds like tech based bullshit to me. The ABS computer in the car should have  enough of a window to compensate for a 6/32 difference in tire circumference.
If it were my car, I'd just put the damn thing on. If the ABS light comes on, I'd write a nasty letter to Subaru.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on August 31, 2017, 01:03:53 PM
Sounds like tech based bullshit to me. The ABS computer in the car should have  enough of a window to compensate for a 6/32 difference in tire circumference.
If it were my car, I'd just put the damn thing on. If the ABS light comes on, I'd write a nasty letter to Subaru.

It's not just about the computers...it's for the drivetrain.  It's common knowledge that you don't wanna run widely different OD tires on AWD vehicles.

shp4man

God help the poor dumbass who runs around with low tires on one side and overinflated tires on the other, then.

Just FYI, that's damn near everybody now days.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on August 31, 2017, 01:14:15 PM
God help the poor dumbass who runs around with low tires on one side and overinflated tires on the other, then.

Just FYI, that's damn near everybody now days.

Really?  I don't see it that often, and I drive a lot of different cars.  Doesn't happen as much anymore these days, especially with TPMS.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2017, 01:29:06 PM
Really?  I don't see it that often, and I drive a lot of different cars.  Doesn't happen as much anymore these days, especially with TPMS.

TPMS systems typically have a 5 PSI+ or - window.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on August 31, 2017, 02:13:12 PM
TPMS systems typically have a 5 PSI+ or - window.

Fair enough.

Does a flatter tire spin a different number of times than a properly inflated tire, though?  Its circumference will still be the same. But if two tires have different tread depths, their circumferences are different so they'll rotate at differing rates over a given distance. :rastaman:

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2017, 02:28:38 PM
Fair enough.

Does a flatter tire spin a different number of times than a properly inflated tire, though?  Its circumference will still be the same. But if two tires have different tread depths, their circumferences are different so they'll rotate at differing rates over a given distance. :rastaman:

That's how the old Windstar's TPMS systems worked, by counting tire rotations with the ABS system. Modern Fords have pressure sensors.

AutobahnSHO

AWD cars you should be more careful with tire pressure, uneven can cause extra diff wear.

I'm just going to repair the tire.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13591918@N07/shares/Jc31WY
Will

AutobahnSHO

SIGH. Plugged it and the DIY garage guy on base said by law can't mount it, because of the plug that's "too close to the sidewall".

Must be a goofy NY thing?  But he also said it doesn't hurt the AWD to mount a new tire with the other 3, it would just pull to the side some.

I'll check with some local place that sells used tires tomorrow.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2017, 04:10:24 PM
SIGH. Plugged it and the DIY garage guy on base said by law can't mount it, because of the plug that's "too close to the sidewall".

Must be a goofy NY thing?  But he also said it doesn't hurt the AWD to mount a new tire with the other 3, it would just pull to the side some.

Dude's right about the tire. No sidewall patches. They fail in a catastrophic manner. As is in boom, usually on the freeway.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on August 31, 2017, 04:15:15 PM
Dude's right about the tire. No sidewall patches. They fail in a catastrophic manner. As is in boom, usually on the freeway.

It's not in the sidewall though, look at the pics in the link above. It's about an inch and a half from the sidewall, deep in a good block of tread.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2017, 04:16:14 PM

It's not in the sidewall though, look at the pics in the link above. It's about an inch and a half from the sidewall, deep in a good block of tread.

I don't want you to die, buddy. Get the new tire.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2017, 04:10:24 PM

Don't you have a used tire place somewhere there?  Get a used tire in good shape that's about as worn as the other three.  Don't mess with a tire that could well blow at an inconvenient time.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 31, 2017, 04:36:11 PM
Don't you have a used tire place somewhere there?  Get a used tire in good shape that's about as worn as the other three.  Don't mess with a tire that could well blow at an inconvenient time.

yeah, I'm going tomorrow.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 31, 2017, 04:36:11 PM

Big used tire place doesn't have anything which matches.

Looking at these, shipping is $13/tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+LX+Platinum&partnum=055WR6ELXV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Impreza%20Outback%20Sport&autoModClar=
Will

AutobahnSHO

Bleh, just to be done with it, went to on-base Firestone, $700 something for 70k wear Goodyears instead of 40k Primewells (we're running now), mount, road hazard, and lifetime alignment.
The tire was wearing a little unevenly so I figure alignment is pending, plus we will have the car for a good long time still.

Being Labor Day (low business) , they took a walkin and can have it done today instead of hassling with stuff during the work week.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Correction, we already had lifetime alignment on the car so under $600.

These new tires are 100x more quiet.
Will