A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2017, 06:58:40 AM
At 50K, on some of my cars, I'd be on my fifth set! I think the best I ever did was something like 25,000 to 30,000 miles.
At 220,000 kilometres, my wife's Escape is still on the original set of Michelins; but we've used a set of snow tires for 4-5 months of each year.  Still the original set of snows as well.  Treads are not bad, but this is likely the last season for them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

autokomppania

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 28, 2017, 02:49:58 PM
At 220,000 kilometres, my wife's Escape is still on the original set of Michelins; but we've used a set of snow tires for 4-5 months of each year.  Still the original set of snows as well.  Treads are not bad, but this is likely the last season for them.

How old is the car? Even if there is enough tread, the rubber will lose its features. I currently drive c. 40 000 miles annually, XC90 gets about 20 000 miles on a set of summer tires. Winter tires seem to last a bit longer.

Morris Minor

Without exception I've found tires fitted on new cars are crap and always die young.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: autokomppania on September 28, 2017, 03:20:50 PM
How old is the car? Even if there is enough tread, the rubber will lose its features. I currently drive c. 40 000 miles annually, XC90 gets about 20 000 miles on a set of summer tires. Winter tires seem to last a bit longer.
'09 Escape.  Tires were checked by a mechanic.

My '01 Escape did well on tires also.  Original Firestones lasted about 120,000 kilometres, the Hankooks I replaced them with were still on it when I sold it at 270,000 kilometres a couple of years ago.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 28, 2017, 07:05:33 PM
JFC. You must be very easy on tires :lol:

Driving slowly and smoothly enough to have tires last that long is a skill that only comes with age.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 28, 2017, 07:05:33 PM
JFC. You must be very easy on tires :lol:
Most of the mileage was on fairly empty country blacktops.  My  commute on a daily basis was about 55 km each way without much braking, turning sharp corners or stop and go.  Got real good distance on the brake pads/shoes as well.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2017, 07:26:39 PM
Driving slowly and smoothly enough to have tires last that long is a skill that only comes with age.
I usually travel about 10-20 km over the speed limit; the speed limit on the roads I took was 80kph.

Also, I'm a very smooth driver :praise:.

As an interesting note, when Jimmy Clark drove for Lotus back in the '60s, before he was killed, he often managed to get a couple of F1 races out of the same set of tires.  As well, in the rain, he typically finished minutes ahead of the rest of the pack.  A gentle touch makes a lot of difference to the vehicle.  Not claiming I'm anywhere near that good, but it always impressed me.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 28, 2017, 02:49:58 PM

You should probably change those. Rubber degrades over time regardless of use.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2017, 07:26:39 PM

I burned my Passat's fronts nearly to the cords in 12,000 miles.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on September 28, 2017, 08:45:17 PM
You should probably change those. Rubber degrades over time regardless of use.

:hesaid:

I replaced my car's tires (Bridgestones) about two years ago, and whilst they still had some tread on 'em, were only six years old and only had about 60,000 km on them they were definitely worn out. Performance in less-than-ideal weather was terrible.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on September 28, 2017, 08:48:44 PM
:hesaid:

I replaced my car's tires (Bridgestones) about two years ago, and whilst they still had some tread on 'em, were only six years old and only had about 60,000 km on them they were definitely worn out. Performance in less-than-ideal weather was terrible.
Compared to what I've driven in, and on, over the years, they're still are pretty good, but I take your point.

Lebowski

Thread update:

I have mentioned in unrelated threads recently, but wanted to update here, she ended up deciding on the 2011 RX, now with ~60k miles. I also handed over the keys to the M3 yesterday, I didn't want to update this thread til that was done.

Thoughts on the RX now that we've had it about a month - well its no CRV obviously but nonetheless she likes it a lot. It is noticeably more refined and drives more carlike compared to the 4Runner, and I think the size better fits her needs as well.  Interior is pretty good, infotainment sucks but that was a known and she doesn't really care.  Fuel economy isn't as good as the CRV obviously (I'm not sure what she's averaging honestly) and it takes premium, which I didn't realize, but that's really moot as the economy is more than offset by significantly lower purchase price plus flatter depreciation curve at this point in its life.  Styling is meh, but that was known and it blends in which I think is good.

Sale price on the M3 came out to $50k even, and I'm happy with that. KBB was ~$52k but it was apparent from watching listings on Bimmerpost and elsewhere that was a little optimistic as the used market for these has been pretty slow, I believe bmw has had some incentives on new ones esp leases, so I basically used that as my asking price with the expectation of getting a bit less. Buyer seems cool and is way more of an enthusiast than I am (tracks his cars etc) which is good, and he apparently financed 100% of purchase price or close to it, which is great as I'm sure dude is crushing the spread bras. Overall I'm happy with how things turned out - I liked the car but am also glad to have it sold, and for owning a car like that only ~3 years, $22k in depreciation seems pretty modest.  Buying it satisfied an itch I needed to scratch, now that that's done I don't see myself buying a german or new luxury car like it again anytime soon (won't say never, but not something on my radar now).

On driving the 4Runner - I like it, and honestly each of us having a car that can do dog duty and carry larger loads is a big convenience. Several times already after work I've had to run by Home Depot or pick up a dog from the vet, and being able to do that stuff without having to meet up and switch cars is huge.  I like that it blends in, I like that I don't care if it gets dirty or someone dings me etc.

Xer0

Quote from: Lebowski on January 20, 2018, 02:12:29 PM
Thread update:

I have mentioned in unrelated threads recently, but wanted to update here, she ended up deciding on the 2011 RX, now with ~60k miles. I also handed over the keys to the M3 yesterday, I didn't want to update this thread til that was done.

Thoughts on the RX now that we've had it about a month - well its no CRV obviously but nonetheless she likes it a lot. It is noticeably more refined and drives more carlike compared to the 4Runner, and I think the size better fits her needs as well.  Interior is pretty good, infotainment sucks but that was a known and she doesn't really care.  Fuel economy isn't as good as the CRV obviously (I'm not sure what she's averaging honestly) and it takes premium, which I didn't realize, but that's really moot as the economy is more than offset by significantly lower purchase price plus flatter depreciation curve at this point in its life.  Styling is meh, but that was known and it blends in which I think is good.

Sale price on the M3 came out to $50k even, and I'm happy with that. KBB was ~$52k but it was apparent from watching listings on Bimmerpost and elsewhere that was a little optimistic as the used market for these has been pretty slow, I believe bmw has had some incentives on new ones esp leases, so I basically used that as my asking price with the expectation of getting a bit less. Buyer seems cool and is way more of an enthusiast than I am (tracks his cars etc) which is good, and he apparently financed 100% of purchase price or close to it, which is great as I'm sure dude is crushing the spread bras. Overall I'm happy with how things turned out - I liked the car but am also glad to have it sold, and for owning a car like that only ~3 years, $22k in depreciation seems pretty modest.  Buying it satisfied an itch I needed to scratch, now that that's done I don't see myself buying a german or new luxury car like it again anytime soon (won't say never, but not something on my radar now).

On driving the 4Runner - I like it, and honestly each of us having a car that can do dog duty and carry larger loads is a big convenience. Several times already after work I've had to run by Home Depot or pick up a dog from the vet, and being able to do that stuff without having to meet up and switch cars is huge.  I like that it blends in, I like that I don't care if it gets dirty or someone dings me etc.

You sure Rotor didnt buy your car?

Lebowski

Quote from: Xer0 on January 20, 2018, 03:10:39 PM

You sure Rotor didnt buy your car?

No dice, Rotor didn't have enough in his 401k and couldn't qualify for conventional financing. Plus, this guy is WAY more of an enthusiast than Rotor even in his wildest wet dreams.

MexicoCityM3

That was a good price you got for the M3. Depreciation here would have been much higher. Congrats.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 20, 2018, 03:34:53 PM
That was a good price you got for the M3. Depreciation here would have been much higher. Congrats.

Yeah when I first came up with this idea I assumed I'd take much more of a hit. When I first looked up kbb I thought to myself "that can't be right", turned out it was a little optimistic but not way off. Not something I want to repeat every three years but for a one off where my needs changed, I can certainly live with it.

Payman

2011 Lexus RX?

This thing?

Uhm...

I'm sure things will pick up. Stay positive!  :ohyeah:

Lebowski

Yep, but in an uglier color and with smaller wheels.

Things are the best they've ever been, but thanks anyway.

Payman

Quote from: Lebowski on January 20, 2018, 04:46:54 PM
Yep, but in an uglier color and with smaller wheels.

Things are the best they've ever been, but thanks anyway.

Good attitude!  :ohyeah:

:lol:

veeman

You can use 87 octane gas in a 2011 Lexus RX without damaging the engine. You might get less gas mileage and performance but it won't hurt the engine. 

CALL_911

Quote from: Rockraven on January 20, 2018, 04:37:50 PM
2011 Lexus RX?

This thing?

Uhm...

I'm sure things will pick up. Stay positive!  :ohyeah:

I don't get what's so bad about that- it's not trying to be a Lotus Exige..?

They've aged well IMO and the things gonna last you a long time. If the M3 was more of a pain than a pleasure, this was a very solid move.

Wouldn't surprise me if the next car I got was a 4Runner. They're so easy to live with, and so dependable.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 21, 2018, 12:11:22 AM

I don't get what's so bad about that- it's not trying to be a Lotus Exige..?

They've aged well IMO and the things gonna last you a long time. If the M3 was more of a pain than a pleasure, this was a very solid move.

It's not one of the "cool" CUVs bra, like an X3 or a Macan. Gotta have low profile tires to make it through the preschool parking lot.

I mean I get it, the RX is the quintessential old lady car. My mom is on like her third one, my stepmom is on her second, my grandma had one etc. It wouldn't have been what I chose had there not just happened to be a used one of known history available, but it fits her needs fine, was a bargain IMO, and my fiancé seems to think it's less dorky than a CRV. It's not the enthusiast's choice but she's not an enthusiast and I'm unconvinced enthusiast CUV isn't an oxymoron.

Payman

It's perfectly fine... I was just carrying on with the theme of the thread.  :mrcool:

Lebowski

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 20, 2018, 02:12:29 PM
Thread update:

Look, there's no shame in buying a used car, even at your age. People say that earning potential goes down once a man loses his hair. It's society's prejudices that are keeping you down, it's through no fault of your own. I truly hope that one day we can move past such frivolous and damaging societal norms and accept people for who they are. Even now, with things looking as bleak as they do, I believe in you.

:tounge:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

No way, baldness is associated with higher earnings, and is way ahead of deficiencies like being short.  My net worth has only increased with evey lost follicle, plus I save on haircuts, hair products etc.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 22, 2018, 05:07:59 AM
No way, baldness is associated with higher earnings, and is way ahead of deficiencies like being short.  My net worth has only increased with evey lost follicle, plus I save on haircuts, hair products etc.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Adam. Just know that I'm on your side and I'm looking into charities you can contact that will be in a position to help you out.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Will