Would you buy it again?

Started by 12,000 RPM, September 05, 2017, 07:05:53 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 06:55:03 AM
Good metric of whether you should sell something is asking yourself would you buy it again today.

Got me thinking..... would I? Would you?

G37S.... absolutely.
MKZ.... not sure. I might have held out for an RDX with the Tech package for the same money, but IDK if wifey would have liked it. Infotainment situation is weird.
Civic.... probably not, if for no other reason than the weak sauce A/C. Waiting till the weather cools down to sell.
Bike.... possibly; I got a slamming deal on it. But I still would have preferred the SV. I leaned towards the Ninja for the better comfort and pillion accomodations.

Only previous car I would buy again, at least now, would be the Z and my first first Maxima.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

That's a tough question.  Guess it explains why I've bought and sold so many cars:

Protege5 - yes.  It's what I needed at the time
Miata - definitely yes
BRZ - maybe
Honda Element - no
Hyundai Genesis - Definite no
4Runner - Yep.  If I total it tomorrow, 90% chance I'd go buy another one.
S2000 - Still on the fence with this one.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

All but the VW.

Edit:. If I had it to do again, I probably would have waited and sprung for the Performance Pack on my last Mustang.  I think I would have enjoyed the car even more with that option.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

A4 - yes
Tacoma - hell yes
230L - meh, it has its merits (mpg, reliability, easy rider) If I wanted a light adventure bike, I'd be cool with its newer version, the 250L (preferably the Rally).

68_427

BG Legacy/Outback wagon:  Absolutely
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

Miata: yes. It's not what I want or need in a car now but it really did change my love for cars. My parents bought it for me so I don't know if that counts.

Volvo: fuck no

4Runner: yes. I still miss that thing.

RX7: maybe. I loved that car but man it was a pile.

Outback: definitely yes. Right now it's my most favorite car.

I won't even get into bikes.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Neon: Probably. Honestly, I should have kept it. Leaky head gasket aside, it was fairly reliable and was workable. It also started my trend of buying cars with sub 2.0L with manual transmissions as a daily driver.

Focus: This car was a pile. I liked driving it, but it was ass to work on and always broke. No.

Yaris Sedan: I should have been more perceptive about noticing accident damage, but it was reliable enough despite having a slow synchro on 3rd. Honestly, if I hadn't wrecked it, I would still have it. Maybe.

Yaris Hatch: No. I hated the lack of options and lack of rear doors. The Fit was so much better and I should have bought one of those.

Sonic: Yes. I plan on keeping it for awhile.

Flip cars? I'll have to do them later.

MexicoCityM3

'99 Plymouth Breeze - No (it had a weird misfire at high revs that was never properly solved)
'94 E36 325iS - No (bought used, it had been crashed at some point and had weird electrical glitches)
'99 E46 323i - Yes
'00 E46 328Ci - Yes
'05 MINI Cooper S Cabrio - Yes
'05 E46 M3 - Yes
'09 E90 M3 - Yes, but not for my current situation. No need for such an all-around sedan.
'11 1M - Yes, the non-depreciation on it is insane. I can sell it today after 6 years for 90% of what it cost me. It's also of course fantastic fun to drive.
'08 E60 M5 - Bought used for what it cost me, yes. New, hell no - these cars depreciate like a free falling cannon ball.
'14 Mini Cooper S Countryman - Yes
'16 GT4 - Duh
'16 X5 - Yes
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Flips:

OK - the definte NO's of my flips

2010 Dodge Journey - I sold it with a whiny transmission. Also, the lack of 3rd row was such a dealbreaker. I sold it and only made like $350.

2004 VW Jetta GLX (Black) - NO. God no.

2001 Honda CR-V: Rear diff went out. Value cut in half. Lost money. Also parts for the AWD system are expensive.

2003 Pontiac Vibe (Black): I still made like $400, but all the struts were tired. The cat was missing. It also needed tires.

CaminoRacer

El Camino: yes. Hard to find a more practical racecar for the same price.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

Lol at rags bikes. You should do a post for it sometime

Miata - probably not the exact car. I fell in love in the lot rather than shopping around. Probably would have still gotten a Miata though

Mustang - not the exact car. should have bought a used one at the time. And def no glass roof. Good to get the muscle car experience while I could though

Cooper s - yeah. While I had it I wanted something rwd. But that thing has so much individuality. I'm glad I had the experience of owning one.

Wagon R - yep. Got the job done in just about the most perfect way while I was there. Fun to drive too. I miss that shifter

86 - hell yes. Other than no back doors, it's the Best Buy I've made to date.

If I could start from scratch I'd have gotten a 2001 Miata back in 2005 and kept the cavalier. Put the Miata in storage when I went to Japan and sold the cavalier. Then get the Miata back and buy a 2006 mustang when I moved to Idaho in 2010. I think the Miata was the better car to have in England and Spain but having a mustang over there would have been real interesting. To do it again, I'd take the figurative 2006 mustang to England in 2010 and  sell the figurative 2001 Miata. Then take that 2006 mustang to Spain also. . Then bought a new Miata when I returned to the us this year.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

I've seen Wagon Rs in Reims. Man they are tiiiiny
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

2001 Ram 1500?  LOL, sure, why not. A low mileage one stored in a barn somewhere.

!965 Chevy C10? See above answer.   :lol:

2000 Harley Sportster? Think I might go for a Road King if there was a 2nd chance.

MrH

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 05, 2017, 08:44:31 AM
Miata: yes. It's not what I want or need in a car now but it really did change my love for cars. My parents bought it for me so I don't know if that counts.

Volvo: fuck no

4Runner: yes. I still miss that thing.

RX7: maybe. I loved that car but man it was a pile.

Outback: definitely yes. Right now it's my most favorite car.

I won't even get into bikes.

Is the RX-7 gone now?!  You're speaking about it in past tense...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Just the last 3...

2017 Discovery Sport - Love it, would buy it again, but next time I'd like something different.

2009 Escape - Would get it again but with the V6 AWD instead of I4 FWD.

2001 Escape - Definately.  Best car/CUV ever.  Worked great for 15 years.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on September 05, 2017, 11:16:29 AM
Is the RX-7 gone now?!  You're speaking about it in past tense...

I sold it to my neighbor who parks it at my house anyways so it's still around. :lol:
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

I would definitely buy my Mazda again. Worked out very well for me, pretty much the perfect balance of practicality and fun (for an unthusiast, anyway). Some of my friends have teased that I should buy something new; one told me at the time I'd bought it that I'd made a mistake, I was going to be sick of the car within a scant few years. Here we are eight years later (as of last Friday) and I'm still very pleased with it.

I could afford something new, and something 'fancier' (friends have "moved up" buying Audis, Lexuses and Mercedes-Benzes), but I can't be arsed, I really don't care to jump on that "hedonistic treadmill".

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 93JC on September 05, 2017, 03:45:44 PM
I could afford something new, and something 'fancier' (friends have "moved up" buying Audis, Lexuses and Mercedes-Benzes), but I can't be arsed, I really don't care to jump on that "hedonistic treadmill".

Mainstreamers have all the luxury I really need/want nowadays.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

Me too. In fact I actively don't want 'infotainment' shit but the ship has sailed on that and one doesn't have much of a choice these days. I'm satisfied with the Bluetooth capabilities of my car, and really don't care to have a nav system and controls for the rest of the car (HVAC, radio, etc.) buried in some touchscreen menu. Give me buttons and switches!

I've driven/been in several new cars with many doodads, and at first blush they're kinda cool, but after that first time it's all kind of 'meh'. I don't feel like my car is 'missing' anything, and in fact there are things I'd rather it didn't have (e.g. I'd prefer to have regular old intermittent windshield wipers in lieu of the rain-sensing ones).

shp4man

My 16 year old Dodge seems down right high tech after driving the old Chevy. Air bags! 3 point seat belts! A/C! Overdrive automatic tranny! Multi speed wipers with intermittent! Power steering! And brakes! A little yellow light that says "Low Fuel" in the instrument cluster, plus it dings when you leave the lights on!
It's a modern miracle machine!  :lol:

Soup DeVille

Dude, I rebought the same make and model of car that literally burst into flames on me.

I don't think I should participate in this thread.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 05, 2017, 11:35:21 AM
Just the last 3...

2017 Discovery Sport - Love it, would buy it again, but next time I'd like something different.

2009 Escape - Would get it again but with the V6 AWD instead of I4 FWD.

2001 Escape - Definately.  Best car/CUV ever.  Worked great for 15 years.

Those first Escapes were the bomb. A coworker had one. Loved it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

W210 E320: No. Big soft pudding.
Passat B5: Yes, but only as a manual. The auto was fine, but with a stick, that would have been really great.
Boxster S 987: Yes. Great car, if not as much raw fun as the Z4.
Jetta Wolfsburg MkV: Absolutely. Nothing wrong with it, except perhaps it could have used a slight lowering.
E85 Z4 3.0i: Absolutely. Best car I've ever owned.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Ford Probe GT - great first car.  Beat the crap out of that thing and never had repairs.

Rx8 - absolutely love it, can't imagine not owning it

JGC - never really loved it.  Serves its purpose and didn't see much affordable alternatives and still don't.

Focus - no real complaints.  If her damn neon would have lasted another few months I would have without a doubt bought a Mazda 3 (only the smiley face version was out when her car died).
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 05, 2017, 04:47:16 PM
Dude, I rebought the same make and model of car that literally burst into flames on me.

I don't think I should participate in this thread.
It's OK. I killed 3 engines in 2 Accords (cheap suspension + NY potholes). Needless to say those did not make the cut.

Quote from: 93JC on September 05, 2017, 03:59:48 PM
Me too. In fact I actively don't want 'infotainment' shit but the ship has sailed on that and one doesn't have much of a choice these days. I'm satisfied with the Bluetooth capabilities of my car, and really don't care to have a nav system and controls for the rest of the car (HVAC, radio, etc.) buried in some touchscreen menu. Give me buttons and switches!

I've driven/been in several new cars with many doodads, and at first blush they're kinda cool, but after that first time it's all kind of 'meh'. I don't feel like my car is 'missing' anything, and in fact there are things I'd rather it didn't have (e.g. I'd prefer to have regular old intermittent windshield wipers in lieu of the rain-sensing ones).
I like the doo dads if they work right. I'm looking forward to the aftermarket getting Apple Carplay and Google Auto or whatever into the G. Like I said elsewhere I think I could replace the G with a mainstreamer if it were just as quick and luxurious (which I'm pretty sure VW has done with the GTI PP). Truthfully a lot of entry level luxury cars are not that luxurious. I will never forget the Rubbermaid™ seats in the $45K+ F30 328 rental I had. JFC.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

Would I buy them again today for the purposes I have today? Only the XTerra. Would I buy them again at the time, knowing what the the car was really like and what it's ultimate fate was going to be?

Yes-Yes-Yes-NONONONONONONO-Yes-NONONO-Yes-Yes (learned a lot even if I only put a couple thousand miles on it)-No (should have found one in better condition)-YES-No-Yes-Yes

A smarter me would have kept the Novarolla until the first Trooper, then kept that until a better Explorer, then kept that until the XTerra, buying each of the MG, 944, and Alfa when I did. I would have sold the MG when I did, sold the Alfa a couple years later than I did when I moved to OR, and I would (and do) still have the 944 in hopes I'll bother to drive it sometime. I would have saved considerable bucks and hassle, but I would have missed the Miata and Volvo 145, both great cars.

Could have also kept the Novarolla until the Ranger, and kept that until the XTerra. Or skipped the Jeep pile and kept the Volvo until the Explorer or even XTerra if I had been more mechanically ambitious. That car had a ton of potential.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Oh yea, if I had known anything about fixing cars at the time I might STILL have that first Maxima. That's definitely the car that got away, though my second one definitely showed me the platform's flaws

Xer0

I've only ever bought two cars so here goes:

2008 Honda Civic - No.  This thing was incredibly dull and boring and I only bought it because my dad was there peer pressuring me into a nice, safe, reliable Honda.  Blah.
2013 Honda Civic Si - At MSRP, no.  But for the 19.4K I paid I would buy it again all day.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rich on September 05, 2017, 09:10:30 AM
Lol at rags bikes. You should do a post for it sometime

Alright, here goes:

1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 - No. WTF was I thinking? I didn't have much money, so I jumped on anything that ran, but god damn. Heavy as fuck, ugly, couldn't turn for shit, and on top of that the damn thing ran me dry with its leaky tires, throttle cables that snapped and incessant carb problems. I still wince when I see one of those and that bike turned me off other carbed bikes, which sucks because there are some nice ones out there.

2006 Honda CBR600F4i - Maybe. The thing was damn reliable and fun to ride, especially after taking a hiatus from riding. However, it was super uncomfortable, which was made very apparent by a ride to Nevada, during which I complained the entire time. Even handlebars and lower pegs didn't help. I still have fond memories of it after 15k miles in less than 6 months, but I overpaid for it and it wasn't quite right for me.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - Yes, all day. Good looking, comfortable and ate up the miles, but was also still fast, made torque everywhere and handled quite well. It was a glorious 5 months and 10k miles on it for me, till a dumb fucking retard decided to take me out on it. The damage wasn't bad but I didn't want a newish bike with damage on it, considering I babied it till then. Then I proceeded to crash the shit out of it a month later... I'd still be riding it if the first accident never happened.

1999 Honda CBR600F4 - No. Another "WTF was I thinking?" moment. I bought this as a track bike, never got around to fixing it, and sold it for about what I paid for it (which was $300...). The damn thing had carbs and I didn't want to work on it so I rode it down the street once and put it away.

2009 Yamaha WR250X - Maybe. One of the most fun bikes I've owned. It was like a big mountain bike in the turns. Unfortunately, it also had the power of a mountain bike on the highway, and a few close calls where I couldn't power out of the situation made me decide to sell it, since I basically had to wring its neck to keep up with traffic. I'd love another one if I decided to keep riding.

2002 Yamaha YZ426F - No. It was a pile and all I did was replace a ton of parts, get it running right, then decided that dirt biking was too much of a PITA to do all the time with no truck. It was fun to tinker with, and luckily I got all my money back (including what I put in parts) but it was a waste on me. I don't think I'll be getting another dirt bike any time soon.

2006 Yamaha FZ1 - Oh fuck no. Big, heavy (heavier than the FJ-09), and extremely spooky in the turns. I read that the 2006's had some shitty suspension and Yamaha updated it in 2007, and I can see why. I was also never sold on the looks, and ended up buying it just because my supermoto sold way faster than I thought it would and I needed a replacement ASAP. I rode it for a month, and every time I rode it all I thought was "Damn, this thing isn't an R1". I had a free day at work one day and impulse traded it for the 954.

2002 Honda CBR954RR - Maybe. I love this bike and it was always one of my dream bikes before I started riding (I have weird tastes, I know), but I way overpaid for this one, and I really have no business being on a 150hp+ liter bike. I'd love to have a mint one to cruise around on once in a while but as a commuter it's pretty stupid. Even by motorcycle standards, the low weight, high power and lack of any riding aids whatsoever make it a death trap. I used to get mad wheelspin in the rain on the bike. Granted, I was on heat cycled racing slicks in the rain, but the power is so ferocious it's really not needed for my skill level or the street.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

1990 Toyota Camry (bought my senior year of HS) - I'd buy a different car. It was an OK car that served me well for ~7 years, but my parents were too controlling with my purchasing options so I couldn't really get what I wanted. I really wanted a CRX Si, but it was peak Fast and Furious at the time, so Civics were going at a premium.

1995 Miata - Hell yeah, loved that car, wish it didn't get wrecked.

2009 G37 - It was a decent car for the time. My back was in pretty constant pain so the better seats and automatic transmission were nice to have. We were entertaining a lot of out-of-town guests around the time of my wedding, so the actual back seats came in handy on a number of occasions. And it was *fast*, the first car of mine with plenty of HP. In retrospect I think I would have enjoyed a BMW 128 convertible more. I really liked the smooth NA inline six and it looks like the party's over nowadays. :cry:

2017 MX5 RF - Love all over again, this thing's even better than my NA MX5.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT