Dealership Builds The 650 HP F-150 Lighting That Ford Won't

Started by cawimmer430, September 15, 2017, 04:41:18 PM

cawimmer430

Dealership Builds The 650 HP F-150 Lighting That Ford Won't

The Ford SVT Lighting went out of production nearly 13 years ago but the high-performance truck hasn't been forgotten by the folks at Pioneer Ford in Georgia.

In a Facebook post earlier this week, the dealership unveiled its F-150 Lightning Tribute which is based on the single cab model with a short bed. Despite its rather humble appearance, a closer inspection reveals the truck has a side exiting exhaust and 22-inch five-spoke alloy wheels. The dealership also installed a sport-tuned suspension and a handful SVT and Lighting badges.

While the previous Lighting had a supercharged 5.4-liter V8 engine with 380 hp (283 kW), the new model has a 5.0-liter V8 that has been equipped with a Roush supercharger. This enables the truck to produce 650 hp (484 kW) which is 200 hp (149 kW) more than the F-150 Raptor.

The Drive reports the truck is rear-wheel drive and comes with its full factory warranty. The model is also eligible for all the rebates and incentives as a normal F-150.

This particular truck stickered at $49,661 but it has already been sold. The dealership has plans for additional models and one will be based on the 2018 F-150 and feature a gray micro suede and leather interior.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/dealership-builds-650-hp-f-150-lighting.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

68_427

I've already been towying with the idea of a F150 RCSB with 5.0 for my next car
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

68_427

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2017, 04:53:36 PM
$50k?  Not bad for a custom build on a new truck.

A 2018 F150 with 400hp 5.0L, RCSB, 4WD, 10spd, and 3.73 with locker is like $32k MSRP.  So figure mid 20's.  I want it.

Add a supercharger, mild drop, and some more reasonable wheels for $10k?  Yes please
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

That's actually not a bad deal and I've always loved RCSBs of all makes and models. But mid 30s will put you in a new Z or 228i. Man that would be a sick ass bike towing vehicle though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2017, 08:58:53 AM
That's actually not a bad deal and I've always loved RCSBs of all makes and models. But mid 30s will put you in a new Z or 228i. Man that would be a sick ass bike towing vehicle though.

Jesus Christ, Sporty. I'm shocked you would even consider such an obviously redneck with bucks vehicle!  J/K  :lol:

Aloominum body, short drive shaft, big horsepower.......oh ya!

CaminoRacer

Needs to be slammed with flares and maybe channel the body a couple inches. Cut out the bed floor, install a fuel cell and move the radiator to the back.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on September 16, 2017, 11:33:05 AM
Jesus Christ, Sporty. I'm shocked you would even consider such an obviously redneck with bucks vehicle!  J/K  :lol:

Aloominum body, short drive shaft, big horsepower.......oh ya!
Come on man. I posted this on Instagram not too long ago:

Caption: Beautiful truck #ford #f100 #truck #vintage #patina

I talked to the owner; it has a Cadillac.... 454?.... under the hood. I'm with it.

MX793

Cool truck, but selling it as an SVT Lightning, or otherwise fitting it with SVT and Lightning badges, is just asking for a lawsuit (unless they cleared it with Ford first, or the trademarks have expired).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2017, 12:12:07 PM
Come on man. I posted this on Instagram not too long ago:

Caption: Beautiful truck #ford #f100 #truck #vintage #patina

I talked to the owner; it has a Cadillac.... 454?.... under the hood. I'm with it.
Nice truck. 472 maybe.

12,000 RPM

veeman

Lame.  If you're gonna do a bad ass super fast truck, it's gotta have a backseat and be a 4X4.  The Raptor has both.  It's two reasons why the Chevy SSR sucked too even when they later on put the more powerful motor in it which made it do 0-60 in 5.29 sec.  And the Chevy SSR looked really cool. 

Cookie Monster

Quote from: veeman on September 16, 2017, 09:55:07 PM
Lame.  If you're gonna do a bad ass super fast truck, it's gotta have a backseat and be a 4X4.  The Raptor has both.  It's two reasons why the Chevy SSR sucked too even when they later on put the more powerful motor in it which made it do 0-60 in 5.29 sec.  And the Chevy SSR looked really cool. 

So go buy a Raptor, then. :huh:

Lightnings have always been RCSBs.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

shp4man

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on September 16, 2017, 09:55:07 PM

I would never cross shop an SSR with a Lightning or SRT Ram.  That thing was a one-off fuckin' turd. lol

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 16, 2017, 10:01:00 PM
So go buy a Raptor, then. :huh:

Lightnings have always been RCSBs.

With the exception of the early-mid 2000s Silverado SS, which was a step below the SRT and Lightning trucks in performance, all of the sport/muscle trucks have been regular cab, short bed.  Chevy 454SS, SVT Lightning, Ram SRT10, and GMC Syclone.  They've been predominantly RWD-only, as well.  The Syclone was AWD-only and the Silverado SS offered AWD initially (AWD only in its first year), but it was later dropped for a RWD-only configuration.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Yea if you want max performance you gotta commit to the best body style. The 4,400lb 6' tall RCSB :lol:

On a semi serious note my buddy has a pretty successful woodworking business (please check him out west coasters- Bearcrated.com) and his work truck is a ~08 F-150 RCSB. I was surprised and impressed with its..... pickup :lol: With some suspension work and bolt ons.... it would still be a pickup truck, who the fuck are we kidding here.

giant_mtb

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 16, 2017, 11:15:17 PM
I would never cross shop an SSR with a Lightning or SRT Ram.  That thing was a one-off fuckin' turd. lol

Why?  When they put the better engine in it that could deal with its weight, it was damn fast. Also came with a manual transmission. Single cab, RWD, same thing as the Lightening. It even has the Lightening beat by being way overpriced and having a useless bed :lol:

veeman

Current Ford Raptor Supercrew can do 0-60 in 5.1-5.3 sec I think.  Plus it can carry 4 or 5 full size adults in comfort, go off-road, and be driven in the winter where it snows. If you're gonna do a super fast pickup in today's world, it should come with a backseat and be 4x4.  I know what was done in the past but in the past, pick ups weren't marketed as luxury SUVs for cowboy wannabes.  Now they are, are total cash cows for automakers, and that's why, I think, this truck has very limited appeal. 

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on September 17, 2017, 06:09:09 AM
With the exception of the early-mid 2000s Silverado SS, which was a step below the SRT and Lightning trucks in performance, all of the sport/muscle trucks have been regular cab, short bed.  Chevy 454SS, SVT Lightning, Ram SRT10, and GMC Syclone.  They've been predominantly RWD-only, as well.  The Syclone was AWD-only and the Silverado SS offered AWD initially (AWD only in its first year), but it was later dropped for a RWD-only configuration.

The SRT10 came with a Quad Cab, but no one talks about those because automatic anyways.

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2017, 11:08:11 AM
Why?  When they put the better engine in it that could deal with its weight, it was damn fast. Also came with a manual transmission. Single cab, RWD, same thing as the Lightening. It even has the Lightening beat by being way overpriced and having a useless bed :lol:

Because with its convertible top and wood paneled bed, it was closer to a Plymouth Prowler than a pickup truck. All the other performance trucks could actually be used as a truck.

See, even this Lightning in F&F1 is being used to haul car parts:

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2017, 11:21:29 AM
If you're gonna do a super fast pickup in today's world, it should come with a backseat and be 4x4.
Why? By this logic, sports cars shouldn't exist either. RCSB = good ol' boy sports car.

veeman

Because this is not a sports car.  It is a super fast straight line performance pickup. There's probably a good reason Ford doesn't make this anymore.  Because very few would buy it.  Good ol' boy would rather have a Raptor.   

shp4man

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2017, 01:16:25 PM
Because this is not a sports car.  It is a super fast straight line performance pickup. There's probably a good reason Ford doesn't make this anymore.  Because very few would buy it.  Good ol' boy would rather have a Raptor.   

This here good ol' boy would rather have the Lightning. It's easier to park, handles better, has more low end grunt and goes faster.  I've driven almost everything Ford made in the last 20 years, the one with the most neck snapping low end torque was the SC 5.4 Lightning truck.
If I was into off-road, it may be a different story.

veeman

Quote from: shp4man on September 17, 2017, 01:32:07 PM
This here good ol' boy would rather have the Lightning. It's easier to park, handles better, has more low end grunt and goes faster.  I've driven almost everything Ford made in the last 20 years, the one with the most neck snapping low end torque was the SC 5.4 Lightning truck.
If I was into off-road, it may be a different story.

It's easier to park, I'll give you that.  Faster?  This thing will hit 0-60 in less than 5 seconds?  Handle better?  Perhaps on a racetrack...

When I think of single cab RWD pickups, I think of the economical work truck.  The single cab and RWD specs being features which are not sought after but instead the cheapest option.  As opposed to a sporty car where RWD and two seats are often sought after specs. 

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe people want a sporty super fast truck which they can't take on a ski trip or take more than one passenger in.  Unless it comes with a bench front seat.  I hear that's the new in thing.

giant_mtb

Raptors appeal more to the off-road, trophy truck, extreme sports kind of people.

A Lightning appeals more to the muscle car and autocross kind of people.

They're not really interchangeable vehicles since they appeal mostly to totally different demographics. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2017, 02:14:20 PM
Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, you are wrong. Most people do want crew cabs but there is definitely a market for non-work truck RCSBs. Domestics would not continue to offer mid trim RCSBs if nobody was buying them, and an F150 5.0 XLT RCSB wipes the floor with the old Lightning in performance and dynamics.

veeman

I totally get the appeal of classic RCSB RWD pickups from a bygone era wonderfully restored or just in working condition.  They're beautiful and macho and meant for cruisin' in style. 

This I think sorta sucks but many on this forum here like it and that's cool. 

68_427

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2017, 11:21:29 AM
Current Ford Raptor Supercrew can do 0-60 in 5.1-5.3 sec I think.  Plus it can carry 4 or 5 full size adults in comfort, go off-road, and be driven in the winter where it snows. If you're gonna do a super fast pickup in today's world, it should come with a backseat and be 4x4.  I know what was done in the past but in the past, pick ups weren't marketed as luxury SUVs for cowboy wannabes.  Now they are, are total cash cows for automakers, and that's why, I think, this truck has very limited appeal.

Hence why they only made 1?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the new 2018 RCSB with either the 2.7 or 5.0 will be almost as quick as the Raptor.  That appeals to me because I don't drive offroad, and I don't have a family or friends ( :evildude:).  I prefer the look and the fact I could get one for under $30k.
'racecar is die'
no