Ford Police Responder Hybrid: The Evolution of Police Vehicles

Started by cawimmer430, September 20, 2017, 04:35:10 AM

cawimmer430

Ford Police Responder Hybrid: The Evolution of Police Vehicles

With Ford's high popularity among Police Departments in the U.S, it's no wonder that some of their Interceptors have become so well-known.

This video picks up with the 1950's and the Ford Mainline, which was originally available in multiple body styles and configurations, although the 4-door sedan proved best for Police duties.

The 1952 Interceptor was particularly well-equipped to handle its business, thanks to "24 hour duty" front seats and a new 125 HP V8 engine, although the 215 HP Interceptor from 1956 offered a real upgrade over older models.

Fast-forward to 1971 and you've got the 429 CI V8 Galaxie, while 1982 saw the arrival of the Mustang SSP, which stayed in service for 11 years while providing cops with a speedier alternative compared to their usual 4-door sedan models.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUPzVgQy40

Of course, if we're talking about the 80's, we can't just skip over the most popular police car of all time, the Crown Vic, which as a model range, persisted until quite recently, while undergoing several generational changes.

While the early 2010's marked the arrival of the Taurus Interceptor, packing a twin turbo EcoBoost V6 and all-wheel drive, it's the 2018 Fusion Hybrid sedan that now packs the most technology.

In the end, it's hard to imagine these newer models reaching the same iconic status of those Crown Vics from the 80's and 90's, but we're rooting for them.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/check-out-fords-iconic-us-police-cars.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

I love how they threw the Mustang in there in 1982, among all the Galaxies and Crown Vics.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on September 20, 2017, 04:58:31 AM
I love how they threw the Mustang in there in 1982, among all the Galaxies and Crown Vics.

History & Heritage.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

I remember when the NYS Police used Z28 Camaros as highway patrol cars in the later 90s.  Can't say I ever recall seeing any Mustangs in police service first-hand.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 20, 2017, 02:30:45 PM
I remember when the NYS Police used Z28 Camaros as highway patrol cars in the later 90s.  Can't say I ever recall seeing any Mustangs in police service first-hand.

Michigan State Police used them for a while; and Ford had one displayed as a police model at one of the state fairs I was at as a kid. I remember because I got locked in the backseat.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT_Power

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2017, 05:22:24 AM
Michigan State Police used them for a while; and Ford had one displayed as a police model at one of the state fairs I was at as a kid. I remember because I got locked in the backseat.

Nothing like traumatic episodes to make you remember things  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

RomanChariot

Quote from: MX793 on September 20, 2017, 02:30:45 PM
Oregon used Mustangs back in the '80s.

GoCougs

WSP used Mustang LX 5.0s as well.

Curiously, prior to the '93 Z/28, the fastest (orderable) police car was the '68 Dodge Polara (w/440 Magnum and 727 TF). Jay Leno reviews a number of police cars, including an early Fox body Mustang and a '69 Polara. Skip to 10:36 to see which the retired CHiP commissioner chooses as best: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pjW8Ss0WI