***Shot ANOTHER one of my dream cars today!***

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2017, 11:41:17 AM

cawimmer430

1978 Mercedes-Benz 450SLC 5.0 C107 Coupe  :wub:

Under the hood is the legendary M117 E50 5.0 V8 engine which makes 240-horsepower here. Good for a 0-100 km/h time of 8.5 seconds. This is a low mileage example which the owner has owned second hand since March 1990. The owner rarely drives it - as he has a whole fleet of older and current Benzes.

Only 2,769 450SLC 5.0s were built, making this particular model quite rare.

This, along with the W116 S-Class I shot a few days ago, are some of my old school dream cars from Mercedes-Benz. I would love to own one of these, preferably an olive green 280SLC with the 2.8 inline-6 (good power and acceptable fuel economy). 280SLCs are easy to find, but not in olive green and many of them have a manual transmission which ruins the character of the car. Plus Mercedes' manuals from this era are a joke.

This is my dream SLC Coupe right here.  :wub:

SEX ON WHEELS!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Some simple snapshots of the car taken with my Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone. What a lovely machine.  :wub:

The owner left the engine running throughout much of the shoot because the battery was low on juice. The engine sound is not very remarkable, and does not even sound V8ish. It sounds more like a rough inline-6...

Check out those VELOUR seats! Kinky!  :rockon:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

What the heck is that ugly looking thing that appears to be a piece of drapery in the rear window? :confused:

Otherwise, it's perfect.  Love the pale green colour.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 01, 2017, 11:52:27 AM
What the heck is that ugly looking thing that appears to be a piece of drapery in the rear window? :confused:

They were called Lamellenfenster in German, which basically translates into "lamellar window" in English. It was a clever way to solve the issue of the completely retractable rear window - a Mercedes' tradition on their coupes. The glass portion ahead of the lamellars can completely retract. If those didn't exist and you had a traditional rear glass design back there, the glass would not be able to fully retract.

They're an acquired taste, but I love them.  ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2017, 11:59:30 AM
They were called Lamellenfenster in German, which basically translates into "lamellar window" in English. It was a clever way to solve the issue of the completely retractable rear window - a Mercedes' tradition on their coupes. The glass portion ahead of the lamellars can completely retract. If those didn't exist and you had a traditional rear glass design back there, the glass would not be able to fully retract.

They're an acquired taste, but I love them.  ;)
Very distracting from an, otherwise, clean, beautiful design.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 01, 2017, 12:04:26 PM
Very distracting from an, otherwise, clean, beautiful design.

I once made a Photoshop of an SLC without them - and the car looked partially naked, as if something was missing. I don't find them distracting, I find them unique, clever and interesting at the same time. It's a peculiar feature of these cars.  ;)

Have you not seen these in the US? They are essentially a longer version of the R107 SL.  :ohyeah:

The US-spec models look awful, though. Those 5 mph bumpers and sealed-beam headlights are just horrible.  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2017, 12:11:02 PM
I once made a Photoshop of an SLC without them - and the car looked partially naked, as if something was missing. I don't find them distracting, I find them unique, clever and interesting at the same time. It's a peculiar feature of these cars.  ;)

Have you not seen these in the US? They are essentially a longer version of the R107 SL.  :ohyeah:

The US-spec models look awful, though. Those 5 mph bumpers and sealed-beam headlights are just horrible.  :cry:

Agree, much worse looking.  However, I still don't like the Lamellenfenster.  Just looks like a tack on, but I would still take the car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 01, 2017, 12:15:25 PM
Agree, much worse looking.  However, I still don't like the Lamellenfenster.  Just looks like a tack on, but I would still take the car.

Design is subjective.  :cheers:

I think a 1974 Dodge Monaco is a stunningly beautiful design masterpiece - and everyone else here thinks it's an ugly POS.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

I think a 1974 Dodge Monaco is a stunningly beautiful design masterpiece - and everyone else here thinks it's an ugly POS.  :lol:
We all have our little quirks :lol:.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 01, 2017, 12:30:13 PM
We all have our little quirks :lol:.

I'm not to afraid to admit mine to the [automotive] world.  :thumbsup:  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 01, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

Allow me to introduce you to the lovely '67 Buick Wildcat

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 01, 2017, 12:38:27 PM
Allow me to introduce you to the lovely '67 Buick Wildcat

Very nice! I like those as well. But my heart beats for the '70s!  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I love these things, particularly in AMG garb
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2017, 05:25:38 AM
I love these things, particularly in AMG garb

Here's the AMG...

The SLC was also tuned by other tuners.

Schulz Tuning

Lorinser

www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 01, 2017, 11:52:27 AM

Otherwise, it's perfect.  Love the pale green colour.

What's pale green on the car?  The house is pale green.

FoMoJo

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de