Ferrari Crossover Is Coming As Company Is Already Debating How Many To Build

Started by cawimmer430, October 09, 2017, 02:48:56 PM

cawimmer430

Ferrari Crossover Is Coming As Company Is Already Debating How Many To Build

Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne has revealed the company is already looking forward to the launch of its first crossover.

Speaking to Bloomberg at the New York Stock Exchange, Marchionne said Ferrari will decide how many crossover will be build in the next 30 months. Regardless of the final number, production will be limited to preserve exclusivity.

Little is known about the vehicle at this point but Marchionne has previously said a crossover "will probably happen but it will happen in Ferrari's style." Rumors have also suggested the model could be officially announced as part of Ferrari's five-year plan which will be unveiled early next year.

Marchionne declined to go into specifics but previous reports have suggested the crossover will resemble a "high-riding coupe" with suicide rear doors. The model is also rumored to ride on a lightweight aluminum platform and be powered by either a V8 engine or a hybrid powertrain.

Besides talking about Ferrari, Marchionne reiterated Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has no plans to sell off Jeep. It's one of the company's most valuable brands and selling it off would make FCA significantly less attractive to potential buyers.

Rendering by Theophilus Chin

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/ferrari-crossover-is-coming-as-company.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

What I don't get is why?  They already can sell more cars then they care to build.   I'm note sure about in Ferraris case the need to "grow the brand"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Somebody's gonna get bitch slapped by Enzo when they reach the afterlife.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Well the Cayenne worked out pretty well for Porsche allowing them to have the capital to invest in real sports cars and even remain solvent as an independent company.

CaminoRacer

I don't think Ferrari needs that kind of growth, though. Their profit margins are crazy healthy on their core cars
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on October 09, 2017, 04:52:49 PM
What I don't get is why?  They already can sell more cars then they care to build.   I'm note sure about in Ferraris case the need to "grow the brand"
The same reason you can still buy a brand new 2008 Fiat 500. Because Sergio is a grade A shithead, plain and simple.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

As if an automatic AWD hybrid hatchback AND ditching the manual transmission across the entire lineup didn't kill the brand enough already.  The Ferrari I loved as a kid has been dead for a long time now.  This comes as no surprise.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Oh woe is me. Nobody here could drive an F40 in anger, and for every good Ferrari from when we were growing up there was an equally awful one. Third pedal aside, which is overblown IMO, Ferrari's lineup recently peaked. The 458 is their best Berlinetta of all time; the F12 was their best 2 seat GT of all time; the turbo California is pretty good; that hatchback Z3 Coupe thing they have is easily their best 4 seater.

This notion that Ferraris from the 80s-90s were about purity and driving pleasure is bogus. They were about extracting as much money from FOGs, playboys and oil sheiks as humanly possible- just as they are today :huh: Back in the day that meant gated shifters and an awful ownership experience. Today that means AWD hybrid crossovers. Not sure what people want. Should Ferrari just go out of business?

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2017, 05:52:03 AM
Oh woe is me. Nobody here could drive an F40 in anger, and for every good Ferrari from when we were growing up there was an equally awful one. Third pedal aside, which is overblown IMO, Ferrari's lineup recently peaked. The 458 is their best Berlinetta of all time; the F12 was their best 2 seat GT of all time; the turbo California is pretty good; that hatchback Z3 Coupe thing they have is easily their best 4 seater.

This notion that Ferraris from the 80s-90s were about purity and driving pleasure is bogus. They were about extracting as much money from FOGs, playboys and oil sheiks as humanly possible- just as they are today :huh: Back in the day that meant gated shifters and an awful ownership experience. Today that means AWD hybrid crossovers. Not sure what people want. Should Ferrari just go out of business?

Ferrari is catering to its market, but I agree with Raza in that there's nothing left to desire in exotic cars anymore. If I ever had the money and means to buy a personal exotic in the low to mid 6 figure range, I'm no longer looking  at a new one because of the reasons Raza listed. I'd probably seek out a cherry Audi R10 Roadster with gated shifter, while I waited for my Singer to be built.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on October 10, 2017, 06:24:43 AM
Ferrari is catering to its market, but I agree with Raza in that there's nothing left to desire in exotic cars anymore. If I ever had the money and means to buy a personal exotic in the low to mid 6 figure range, I'm no longer looking  at a new one because of the reasons Raza listed. I'd probably seek out a cherry Audi R10 Roadster with gated shifter, while I waited for my Singer to be built.
I mean, I'm not really bothered by that. Modern cars are so excellent they kind of make exotics irrelevant. The malaise era prompted people's need to dream. We are decades removed from that misery.

What I'm really hearing though is a pining for more gated shifters. This sounds like a business opportunity. Conversions are not hard. Here is a gated shifter in a 1995 Civic.

cawimmer430

A lot of these older Ferraris are a pain to drive - Mondial, Testarossa and 308 are just three of the classic Ferraris I sat in and photographed for magazines which are cramped and where the pedals are offset to the right. Basically you have to sit slanted in them and where the brake pedal is in a normal manual transmissioned car you will have the clutch pedal in a Mondial, Testarossa and 308. That alone would ruin the "fun" for me if I can't get or sit comfortable in such a car...  :frown:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

You mean to tell me you don't dream of owning unreliable, temperamental, uncomfortable cars that drive no better than modern sports cars and would have trouble getting away from a Golf R in a straight line :confused:

Romanticising of the past is a cardinal sin.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2017, 12:36:31 PM
You mean to tell me you don't dream of owning unreliable, temperamental, uncomfortable cars that drive no better than modern sports cars and would have trouble getting away from a Golf R in a straight line :confused:

Romanticising of the past is a cardinal sin.

Truth be told I can appreciate a Testarossa or 308 for their styling, but realistically I would never want to own one first and foremost because I don't fit in them and they're not practical.

I'm not really into sports cars. I prefer practical cars. If I were to get something sporty and practical something like a Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Wagon S205 would be ideal for me: sporty, fun handling and practical.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2017, 06:55:48 AM
I mean, I'm not really bothered by that. Modern cars are so excellent they kind of make exotics irrelevant. The malaise era prompted people's need to dream. We are decades removed from that misery.

What I'm really hearing though is a pining for more gated shifters. This sounds like a business opportunity. Conversions are not hard. Here is a gated shifter in a 1995 Civic.

That doesn't look terrible. A little out of place, though.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Cookie Monster

By the time you source all those JDM parts for your 22 year old Civic you could probably just buy a used Ferrari with a gated shifter already. :lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Enthusiasts are a fickle bunch, and I understand why many automakers refuse to court them.

The last crop of sporty cars (Fiesta St, Focus ST, BRZ and co, ND) someone has consistently trashed them whilst never recommending an alternative. Not saying that no car can ever be better than it is, but at some point, what is your goal here?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 10, 2017, 01:18:12 PM
By the time you source all those JDM parts for your 22 year old Civic you could probably just buy a used Ferrari with a gated shifter already. :lol:
I feel like gated shifter camel leather interior Civic could be built for the cost of one annual 348 service (engine out :lol: )

8400 RPM engine and all

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on October 10, 2017, 01:22:46 PM
Enthusiasts are a fickle bunch, and I understand why many automakers refuse to court them.

The last crop of sporty cars (Fiesta St, Focus ST, BRZ and co, ND) someone has consistently trashed them whilst never recommending an alternative. Not saying that no car can ever be better than it is, but at some point, what is your goal here?

Preach!

For the most part, all of those are pretty great, but everyone will still find a way to complain.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2017, 05:52:03 AM

Sigh. How about you like what you like and I like what I like, and you stop trying to tell me that I'm not a good enough driver to like the cars that I like?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on October 10, 2017, 06:24:43 AM

I think if I won a big lottery, I'd get a manual Ferrari California, a Daytona convertible for those sunset cruises, and an Aston V8 Vantage Roadster. Oh, and a 911 Turbo on snow tires for inclement weather.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 10, 2017, 08:47:12 PM
Sigh. How about you like what you like and I like what I like, and you stop trying to tell me that I'm not a good enough driver to like the cars that I like?
You are free to like what you want... but suggesting that Ferrari build cars the market has made clear it doesn't want out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia is a bit silly to me.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 12, 2017, 07:14:07 AM
You are free to like what you want... but suggesting that Ferrari build cars the market has made clear it doesn't want out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia is a bit silly to me.

Where did I say they should make those cars again? Point out the words. Find them.

They aren't there.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i