Mid-engine Corvette?

Started by Payman, October 11, 2017, 04:08:14 PM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/possible-mid-engine-corvette-cad-drawings-leak/

Looks like someone leaked some CAD images.

Some interesting observations from the Corvette forum.  LT1 or very similar engine.  Similar construction to the current C7, which is based off the C6, which is based off the C5, rather than a unibody.

Both point to a car that's not super technically advanced and heavily based on the current Corvette, which gives me hope that this thing will be reasonably affordable rather than a Ford GT type car. I'm much more excited for a reasonably priced mid engined Corvette than some hyper expensive limited production exotic

It has coil springs, first for a Corvette.

giant_mtb

I can't imagine this will be "reasonably affordable."  It's likely the end of times for the truly affordable Corvette.  The Camaro has basically taken its place in that role, so it's not a total loss.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 17, 2017, 08:28:13 PM
I can't imagine this will be "reasonably affordable."  It's likely the end of times for the truly affordable Corvette.  The Camaro has basically taken its place in that role, so it's not a total loss.

Naw man, adjusted for inflation, the Corvette has been the same price for decades, and the Camaro roughly 2/3rds the price. Even at $120,000 (the most widely speculated price) the mid-engined Corvette would still be a bargain.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 17, 2017, 08:28:13 PM

Barely used C7 Corvettes are a great deal right now.  You can get a well optioned Z51 Stingray with a manual for like $40k with 10k miles.  So much car for the money.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on December 17, 2017, 08:37:29 PM
Barely used C7 Corvettes are a great deal right now.  You can get a well optioned Z51 Stingray with a manual for like $40k with 10k miles.  So much car for the money.

That's cool.  But I'm talking about this new mid-engined one.  :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on December 17, 2017, 08:36:29 PM
Naw man, adjusted for inflation, the Corvette has been the same price for decades, and the Camaro roughly 2/3rds the price. Even at $120,000 (the most widely speculated price) the mid-engined Corvette would still be a bargain.

So doubling the price means it's still affordable? :nutty:

12,000 RPM

Compared to cars at that price point its gonna be a beast, just like the Stingray. And unlike the GT-R it won't have the character of a really fast mainstream rental car

I think the Corvette brand is underleveraged. I don't think the Stingray will go away. Would be cool if it became its own GM brand, and they brought the Camaro in that fold, as well as some kind of Alpha based SS replacement.

But as for this I think its the right move. Current platform is not capable of the bench racing specs and laptimes GM wants to achieve.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 17, 2017, 09:37:02 PM
Current platform is not capable of the bench racing specs and laptimes GM wants to achieve.

Correct. It merely destroys the competition in its price range, instead of CentimatingTM them.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Hmmm. No DOHC V8 apparently. I'm fine with that. Some 12+ years later and everyone else STILL struggles to beat the LS7's 505 hp.

Coil springs were inevitable - simply look to the Camaro (the better car, and that has a lot to do with it).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on December 17, 2017, 11:46:29 PM
Hmmm. No DOHC V8 apparently. I'm fine with that. Some 12+ years later and everyone else STILL struggles to beat the LS7's 505 hp.

Coil springs were inevitable - simply look to the Camaro (the better car, and that has a lot to do with it).

Yeah, stock Corvettes do amazingly well with the transverse leaf but it's still the first thing to get upgraded on a track car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 17, 2017, 11:46:29 PM

Oh, the LS7s valvetrain beat it. Emissions regs buried it. I'm sure there are create engines that destroy the LS7 on pump gas. Doesn't matter

MX793

Quote from: 565 on December 17, 2017, 07:37:33 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/news/possible-mid-engine-corvette-cad-drawings-leak/

Looks like someone leaked some CAD images.

Some interesting observations from the Corvette forum.  LT1 or very similar engine.  Similar construction to the current C7, which is based off the C6, which is based off the C5, rather than a unibody.

Both point to a car that's not super technically advanced and heavily based on the current Corvette, which gives me hope that this thing will be reasonably affordable rather than a Ford GT type car. I'm much more excited for a reasonably priced mid engined Corvette than some hyper expensive limited production exotic

It has coil springs, first for a Corvette.

Corvettes used coil springs up front prior to the C4.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

https://jalopnik.com/even-more-leaked-mid-engine-corvette-cad-images-show-ne-1821585349

Looks like the twin turbo DOHC V8 is real and will be a 2nd engine choice.

That will be interesting to see how the Pushrod LT1 holds up against this new engine.  I wonder what the weight difference will be.

GoCougs

A bit sad IMO, but it's reality. The higher the compression ratio and emissions requirements, the more critical that cylinder size becomes (bigger = harder to control combustion to whatever desired end).

AMG seems to be the only automaker to have gotten the turbo V8 sound right, and it is hoped GM can as well.

68_427

The Audi RS6/7 and Porsche 4.0L don't sound bad at all
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Agreed

GM knows the SBC is its bread and butter, they will spend the money to make it sound good. I expect to see that engine in the next Escalade and probably xxx Denalis. Maybe the next CTS-V and ZL1.

ChrisV

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 17, 2017, 11:54:11 PM
Yeah, stock Corvettes do amazingly well with the transverse leaf but it's still the first thing to get upgraded on a track car.

Not because coils are better per se, but because it's cheaper/easier to make varying spring rates using coils. It's quite costly to change the spring rate on the transverse leaf. The transverse leaf has it's own set of advantages, namely lighter weight, less unsprung weight, lower CG, and can use it as a locating arm of the suspension with it's own anti-roll properties. Meaning, like the engine, it can make for a very compact and competent package. But, if you want to swap out spring rates, it becomes very hard to do at the track to set it up for different circuits, or make it adjustable, like a coilover can be. Coils can be easily swapped out, or made adjustable, but they have crappy geometry that has to be compensated for as the suspension compresses or rebounds, and binding is a thing that the engineers have to deal with.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

Looks like a pretty neat package...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

... crickets from the Detroit Auto show...
:mask:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on January 16, 2018, 10:14:08 AM
... crickets from the Detroit Auto show...
:mask:

Because the ZR1 was just shown and not even on sale yet.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no