BMW's New And Not-That-Weird-Anymore 6-Series GT

Started by cawimmer430, October 13, 2017, 02:55:25 PM

cawimmer430

BMW's New And Not-That-Weird-Anymore 6-Series GT

BMW dropped a fresh gallery of the new 6-Series Gran Turismo, a more practical sibling of the 5-Series sedan with a five-door hatchback body.

Replacing the old and frankly weird 5-Series GT, the new 6-Series GT offers a much more easily digested shape as the new model comes with more natural proportions, thanks to the increased length, a lower coupe-like roofline and a reshaped rear end.

The new BMW 6-Series GT indeed looks better but we still have some hard time figuring out why would someone buy one of these instead of a 5-Series Touring or an X5 but apparently this sort of bodystyle has proven to be popular in the ever-important Asian market.

Compared to its predecessor, the new 6-Series GT is also 150kg lighter on average, thanks to the adoption of the CLAR platform while the new shape of the car is also considerably more aerodynamic that before. Combined with the new and more efficient range of engines, BMW claims that the new 6-Series GT is not only quicker off the line but also up to 15 percent more fuel efficient.

Open the frameless doors and the dashboard looks almost the same with the 5-Series, featuring the latest iDrive infotainment system with a 10.25-inch touchscreen display, gesture control and more. The difference is that the 6-Series GT comes with a higher driving position and three full-size seats in the rear, with electrically-operated ones that also recline an option.

The range of available turbo engines includes a 258hp 2.0-liter inline four (630i), a 340hp 3.0-liter straight-six (640i) which can also be had with xDrive all-wheel drive and a 265hp 3.0-liter diesel straight-six (630d), also available with xDrive as well. Finally there's the 320hp 3.0-liter diesel in the 640d which is only available with all-wheel drive as standard.

The new BMW 6-Series GT also adopts the latest range of driver assistance systems, including the semi-autonomous Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go, steering and lane control assistant, side collision warning and more.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/bmws-new-and-not-that-weird-anymore-6.html

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 13, 2017, 03:04:02 PM
So they renamed the 5GT to the 6GT? Why?

Beats me. Then again the M3 Coupe is now the M4...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Lebowski

Raza

It's so horrible. Don't even try to go after the A5 Sportback if this is the best looking thing you can come up with.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 13, 2017, 04:58:54 PM
It's so horrible. Don't even try to go after the A5 Sportback if this is the best looking thing you can come up with.
4GC is the A5 sport back competitor. I prefer that Bimmer
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

The 5GT was probably the most comfortable car BMW has ever made.

Lebowski

Quote from: 2o6 on October 14, 2017, 01:31:04 AM

The 5GT was probably the most comfortable car BMW has ever made.

Not on the eyes.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 13, 2017, 08:20:12 PM
4GC is the A5 sport back competitor. I prefer that Bimmer

A7 then? Point still stands.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on October 15, 2017, 05:54:40 AM

There's no real direct Audi competitor to the GT models. Maybe the A6 allroad? But even then, not really. The GT models have high H-point seats, and they feel closer to the X-cars than the coupes in the way you sit in them.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on October 15, 2017, 05:54:40 AM

This is the non SUV version of the coupe version of the SUV

:lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 15, 2017, 09:53:29 AM
There's no real direct Audi competitor to the GT models. Maybe the A6 allroad? But even then, not really. The GT models have high H-point seats, and they feel closer to the X-cars than the coupes in the way you sit in them.

Quote from: 68_427 on October 15, 2017, 01:15:43 PM
This is the non SUV version of the coupe version of the SUV

:lol:

Whatever it is, just kill it with fire!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Char

Quote from: Xer0 on October 14, 2017, 02:46:38 PM
Doesn't mater on a CRV budget.

Quoted the wrong bubble - but this thing looks ugly as fuck and it's existence makes no sense.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

veeman

Higher driving position than a 5 series with three full size seats in the rear with an electric reclining option.  More fuel efficient and lighter than an X5.  Popular in Asia.

I can see why someone would get this.  You have elderly parents who live with you.  Kid(s) in car seats and grandparent(s) can sit in back.  Cane wielding grandma/grandpa doesn't have to climb into an SUV.  They don't look that great being neither sleek and sporty nor broad shouldered and macho.  The trade off of functionality over style might be worth it depending on how you use the car.

Char

Quote from: veeman on October 17, 2017, 07:24:14 PM
Higher driving position than a 5 series with three full size seats in the rear with an electric reclining option.  More fuel efficient and lighter than an X5.  Popular in Asia.

I can see why someone would get this.  You have elderly parents who live with you.  Kid(s) in car seats and grandparent(s) can sit in back.  Cane wielding grandma/grandpa doesn't have to climb into an SUV.  They don't look that great being neither sleek and sporty nor broad shouldered and macho.  The trade off of functionality over style might be worth it depending on how you use the car.
And the 5 doesn't have full size rear seats? I mean all the reasons listed don't actually make sense to justify this car's existence - fuel economy? Then drive a car!
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on October 18, 2017, 08:47:29 AM
And the 5 doesn't have full size rear seats? I mean all the reasons listed don't actually make sense to justify this car's existence - fuel economy? Then drive a car!

Drive them back to back. The 5GT (6GT?) is clearly meant for old people. The 5GT's rear seat is higher and bigger. I wouldn't buy one, but I understand why it exists.

Tave

The three seats thing is a quote from the article, but it doesn't make much sense. Maybe they're comparing it to the 5GT trim that had the split rear seating?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

veeman

I don't think the 5 has 3 full size rear seats. Probably 2 with an uncomfortable middle.  I haven't looked at the specs but my guess is this is roomier in the backseat than the 5. I don't believe there is an option to electrically recline the 5's rear seats either.  This car probably has the room and options in the back seat similar to a 7 series but is priced significantly cheaper than a 7 series. 

There are reasons to justify this car's existence because it apparently sells well in Asia.  It doesn't look good for sure but if you want the brand prestige, driving experience, and customer service of a German luxury car, use the rear seat a lot to carry adults, and often travel with a lot of luggage, this car makes sense.

I believe Hector once posted he drove this kind of GT car once and really liked it but acknowledged it's ugliness.

Tave

Looks like a vestigial middle bench seat in the new pics. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2017, 09:30:32 AM
Drive them back to back. The 5GT (6GT?) is clearly meant for old people. The 5GT's rear seat is higher and bigger. I wouldn't buy one, but I understand why it exists.

I don't. Because BMW wants to appeal to people who don't want a BMW?

I mean, they should just start selling FWD economy cars to...oh.

2o6

??? BMW makes luxury cars. This is a luxury car.

Idk you're weird

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2017, 09:58:38 AM
??? BMW makes luxury cars. This is a luxury car.

Idk you're weird
And you have shit taste and you're weird

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV