VW Scirocco Drives Off Into The Sunset As Company Stops Production

Started by cawimmer430, October 13, 2017, 02:57:11 PM

cawimmer430

VW Scirocco Drives Off Into The Sunset As Company Stops Production

Volkswagen has quietly ceased production of the slow-selling Scirocco.

Originally unveiled at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show, the Scirocco was a stylish three-door hatchback which never made it to North America in this generation.

While widely praised, the model faded in popularity over the years as Carsalesbase notes European sales peaked in 2009 at 45,248 units. Despite a facelift a few years ago, sales never rebounded and the company moved just 10,752 units in Europe last year.

Besides being one of the better looking Volkswagens on the market, the Scirocco offered an assortment of powerful engines including a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder producing 220 PS (162 kW) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque. The company even offered a Scirocco R with 280 PS (206 kW) which enabled the model to rocket from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in as little as 5.5 seconds.

While it's sad to see the Scirocco go, rumors have suggested Volkswagen could develop a new model based on the company's MEB platform. If that were to happen, the model would be reborn as an electric vehicle and reportedly have a range of between 200-375 miles (322-603 km). The report went on to suggest the entry-level model would have around 170 hp (126 kW) while the Scirocco R would offer about 300 hp (223 kW).

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/vw-scirocco-drives-off-into-sunset-as.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

Sad... I love this car. In 5 years I'll be able to legally import one. What year did the R come out?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on October 13, 2017, 03:02:32 PM
Sad... I love this car. In 5 years I'll be able to legally import one. What year did the R come out?

In 2009.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Would've been cool to have that car here in the States. Where I live, I imagine it would be a relative treat to spot one.

Raza

They could have done more with it, I think. It was too close to the GTI. Honestly, I forgot about it years ago. Of course, it wasn't sold here, so it's easier to forget it, but still.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

It was as distinct from the GTi as the original Sciroccos were from the Golfs of the same era. The person that wants a Scirocco doesn't necessarily want a 4-door Golf, IMHO.

To me, this is 2-door hot hatch perfection...

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 13, 2017, 09:26:27 PM
Too redundant. You can get a 2 door GTI

I like the GTi, but this looks better, and choice is good. I thought they deep-sixed the 2 door GTi.

CaminoRacer

Yeah, they should have ditched the two door GTI immediately when this came out.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 13, 2017, 09:34:17 PM
Yeah, they should have ditched the two door GTI immediately when this came out.

Would have made a great pairing.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TurboDan

Quote from: Rockraven on October 13, 2017, 09:25:34 PM
It was as distinct from the GTi as the original Sciroccos were from the Golfs of the same era. The person that wants a Scirocco doesn't necessarily want a 4-door Golf, IMHO.

To me, this is 2-door hot hatch perfection...

Agreed. GTIs alienate a lot of customers because the Golf design is used. A sleek, sportier-looking car may have seen a lot of mainstream success in the US, especially if it were priced right. Could have been a successor to a lot of the Japanese sporty models that have gone away over the last decade.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Take rate was low in most places it was sold.

GTI and Golf 2 door outsold it like prolly 10-1.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 14, 2017, 09:06:44 AM
Take rate was low in most places it was sold.

GTI and Golf 2 door outsold it like prolly 10-1.

No doubt it would have been the same here... shame really.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs