Electric Charging

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 14, 2017, 07:59:01 PM

12,000 RPM

Absolutely. I've lived in Manhattan and Harlan County KY. I'd much more consider a place where you see people all the time more "neighborhoody" than somewhere you can't see your neighbors. There are plenty of block organizations and clubs that get people together here.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 20, 2017, 03:19:27 PM
But you consider 28k houses a neighborhood?  Do you think a school district is always a neighborhood?  Do you know all of these 28k+ people?  Your definition of a neighborhood is fucked. :lol:

My neighborhood is like 350 million people and borders Canada.   :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

Trying to think of how you'd vandal/thief-proof charging points on streets or in communal parking areas. I think the yobs would lay waste to it all... so you're pretty much SOL unless you have a secured garage or live in a crime-free area. Or go with wireless charging.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 20, 2017, 07:44:28 PM
Absolutely. I've lived in Manhattan and Harlan County KY. I'd much more consider a place where you see people all the time more "neighborhoody" than somewhere you can't see your neighbors. There are plenty of block organizations and clubs that get people together here.

So you see 28k houses daily and shout "hey neighbor?"

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2017, 06:30:44 AM
Trying to think of how you'd vandal/thief-proof charging points on streets or in communal parking areas. I think the yobs would lay waste to it all... so you're pretty much SOL unless you have a secured garage or live in a crime-free area. Or go with wireless charging.

Wireless charging for large batteries across more than a few millimeter gap?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 21, 2017, 07:37:49 AM

What is he Ned Flanders?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 21, 2017, 07:57:51 AM
Wireless charging for large batteries across more than a few millimeter gap?

yes, look up the bus experiment Utah was doing. 90% efficiency across a foot or more.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=1754251&itype=CMSID

And I saw Korea is taking it even further in googling.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 21, 2017, 07:37:49 AM
Do you say "hey neighbor" to every house in your neighborhood every day? When did that become the metric?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2017, 06:30:44 AM
Tesla supercharger delivers juice at 480VDC.... that should be enough of a deterrent.

High crime areas will probably be the last folks to adopt  to electric cars anyway.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 20, 2017, 07:44:28 PM

You lived in Harlan County? Now that's hickville!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 21, 2017, 10:51:17 AM
Do you say "hey neighbor" to every house in your neighborhood every day? When did that become the metric?

No, but I don't consider my neighborhood to be all the houses in my local school district, either. :lol:

Regardless, our metrics are totally different.  Just gotta give you shit, mang.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 21, 2017, 06:14:11 PM
You lived in Harlan County? Now that's hickville!
A surreal year. I would not go back

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 21, 2017, 08:14:57 PM
A surreal year. I would not go back

Florence is where it's at.

But I'd rather be in Charlotte. Nicer winters and closer to the beach.

12,000 RPM

Also, no widespread poverty or opiate crisis. Well, at least not together across the whole county.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 21, 2017, 10:51:17 AM

Actually, yes everytime I see them
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

I think the vandalism angle is a bit overblown, especially the for-profit stuff. Sure people steal copper gutters, piping, A/Cs, refrigerators, etc...during smash and grabs or at abandoned property, but they're generally not chopping down power lines or other electrical systems w/ active current. And I don't think it's because they're scared of getting caught. As for the minor mischief of unplugging, eh, maybe get a lock for your home charger, but otherwise just deal. There is nothing stopping a prankster right now from letting the air out of one of your tires, but everyday we wake up and 99.99999999% of ours haven't been touched.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 04, 2017, 11:49:39 PM
Interesting charge comparison chart.

https://evobsession.com/electric-car-charging-capabilities-comparison-of-27-models/
TL;DR version: It's a mess out there & nobody's going to take EVs seriously until a worldwide standard is in place.

My vote would go to whichever is the fastest and nicest to use.
But of course that's not going to happen.

Morris Minor

Early sign of a business description morphing from 'oil company' to the less-specific 'stored energy company' or somesuch?

Shell to open electric vehicle charging points at UK petrol stations
Shell is opening a first wave of electric vehicle charging points at its UK petrol stations, in a sign of the far-reaching changes under way in the transport and oil sectors.

Drivers will be able to recharge 80% of their battery in half an hour at forecourts in London, Surrey and Derby from this week, with a total of 10 service stations to be equipped with rapid chargers by the end of the year.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/18/shell-to-open-electric-vehicle-charging-points-at-uk-petrol-stations

Laconian

The writing's on the wall. Better to cannibalize yourself than let somebody else feast on your outdated business model.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Nothing like waiting half an hour for 3/4 of a tank of gas.

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2017, 12:11:58 PM
Nothing like waiting half an hour for 3/4 of a tank of gas.

That's why the current electric car model doesn't work with the current fuel station model. Fuel stations will have to have large parking lots full of chargers to service large numbers of cars as opposed to 4 to 8 pumps for gas vehicles. Electric car charging will likely require regular stores and restaurants to have chargers so that your car can charge while you shop or eat (this is already starting to happen). It may even work to have neighborhood chargers. I could even see HOAs putting in charging areas.

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 10, 2017, 01:27:59 PM
That's why the current electric car model doesn't work with the current fuel station model. Fuel stations will have to have large parking lots full of chargers to service large numbers of cars as opposed to 4 to 8 pumps for gas vehicles. Electric car charging will likely require regular stores and restaurants to have chargers so that your car can charge while you shop or eat (this is already starting to happen). It may even work to have neighborhood chargers. I could even see HOAs putting in charging areas.

Agreed on all counts.  Charging your car will soon become a lifestyle. :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2017, 02:33:55 PM
Agreed on all counts.  Charging your car will soon become a lifestyle. :lol:

It already is for my co-worker. He charges his Volt with solar power at his home. When he drives to work he parks at Costco about 1.5 miles away and hooks it up to their charger and pulls his bike out to get to work. He then bikes to Costco at lunch time to pick up his car. Rinse and repeat.

Laconian

My brother just drives his Bolt to and from work and charges at home. He has enough battery capacity to last an entire work week.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2017, 04:11:20 PM
My brother just drives his Bolt to and from work and charges at home. He has enough battery capacity to last an entire work week.

this is so much more sane. People will value shorter commutes and/or garages which offer charging.
Will

Laconian

You could comfortably have a really long commute on the Bolt's battery. :huh:

Not Char though, he burns an entire tank of gas a day. (RIP Earth)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2017, 04:11:20 PM
Exactly. We already have the charging infrastructure in our homes. The only hurdle is in apartment complexes, but once this shit reaches critical mass they will find a solution for that.

CaminoRacer

I've seen quite a few Tesla chargers at restaurants just off the highway. That's how you do it

r0tor

I think at some point they will add supercapacitor bank to the traditional battery.  The capacitor bank could be useful for small mileage trips but recharge extremely quickly.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed