The new Tesla Roadster

Started by Payman, November 17, 2017, 10:35:50 AM

Payman

Lol, the center screen goes plaid under full acceleration.  :clap:

If they can deliver on the promises, this is a pretty cool car.

Xer0

Quote from: Rockraven on November 17, 2017, 10:35:50 AM

If they can deliver on the promises, this is a pretty cool car.

Pretty much Tesla's whole story.  Expect this car to launch 5 years late, 100K more expensive, and still need 6 patches before doing half of what it promises.

SJ_GTI

Curious to see how they got 200kw battery on this car.

Payman

It's an attractive car, but it looks like a sports coupe in the $30k range, like if Mitsubishi made a new Eclipse. Definitely not a 250 mph electric exotic.

Laconian

Looks better than McLarens, which are jumbles of strakes and vents.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2017, 10:44:28 AM
Looks better than McLarens, which are jumbles of strakes and vents.

But at least I know the McLaren has an F1 engineering team behind it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

All the specs sound GREAT.... but my question is, can it make it ONE LAP around a racetrack?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

600 mile range sounds awesome. 

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 17, 2017, 12:14:01 PM
All the specs sound GREAT.... but my question is, can it make it ONE LAP around a racetrack?

It'll probably go limp at the end of the first straight and run at like 25% power.

CaminoRacer

I don't get the hype. It's just a bunch of numbers without a soul.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 17, 2017, 12:48:21 PM
I don't get the hype. It's just a bunch of numbers without a soul.

Yup.  $250k.

Would make a lot more sense to put this giant, 600-mile range battery system into something economical to sell to the masses.  But what do I know.

2o6

Couple things

- it's very attractive, but looks too pedestrian. Like rockraven said, it looks like an Eclipse.

- 200kw/h? How? Tesla has said that length of the cars has limited the Model3 and Model S from having bigger batteries. How does this little car have 200kw/h?

- shouldn't they focus on getting the model 3 out?

- 250MPH sounds fake

MexicoCityM3

I am mostly a Musk fan and Tesla admirer, having loved my friend's P90D.

But....even I am starting to doubt Elon's ability to deliver on all these promises enough to keep the company afloat. He's sorta trying to crowdfund a car company with all the reservations and deposits.

As a customer, I am not very happy with my undelivered, no information at all battery reservation.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

If they really achieve those numbers for 200k,  I'll buy one.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 565 on November 17, 2017, 06:45:22 PM

Quoted for authentication at a later date.

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on November 17, 2017, 06:45:22 PM

Brings a tear to my, the passing of the TTB mantle since it was left unattended a few weeks back...

GoCougs

Quote from: Xer0 on November 17, 2017, 12:47:45 PM
It'll probably go limp at the end of the first straight and run at like 25% power.

Thing is a 500-600 hp electric motor of any flavor, rated for continuous use, is huge and weighs many thousands of pounds - it needs all that metal and surface area to dissipate heat. Forced air cooling brings size/weight down a decent amount. Liquid cooling can bring it down substantially. The Tesla semi will need such a thing for the semi in the off chance it ever sees the light of day - not sure if the roadster has the room. If not, it'll be a two-minute pig-in-a-poke that the Model S is.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2017, 07:00:28 PM
Thing is a 500-600 hp electric motor of any flavor, rated for continuous use, is huge and weighs many thousands of pounds - it needs all that metal and surface area to dissipate heat. Forced air cooling brings size/weight down a decent amount. Liquid cooling can bring it down substantially. The Tesla semi will need such a thing for the semi in the off chance it ever sees the light of day - not sure if the roadster has the room. If not, it'll be a two-minute pig-in-a-poke that the Model S is.

The Roadster has 3 motors, and the truck probably has 4.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on November 17, 2017, 08:11:01 PM
The Roadster has 3 motors, and the truck probably has 4.

One would still be looking at about the same total size/mass (or, cooling requirements), just split up into three different units.

FoMoJo

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/loblaw-says-it-ordered-25-tesla-electric-trucks-wants-fully-electric-fleet-by-2030

Loblaw says it ordered 25 Tesla electric trucks, wants fully electric fleet by 2030

Loblaw Companies Ltd. says it is among the first purchasers of Tesla's new electric truck.

Canada's largest supermarket chain (TSX:L) says it has pre-ordered 25 of the vehicles called the Tesla Semi.

"It's part of our commitment to electrify our fleet," spokeswoman Catherine Thomas said.

Earlier this month, Loblaw committed to have a fully electric fleet as part of the company's commitment to reduce its carbon footprint by 2030.
That would involve adding 350 zero-emission vehicles and more than 2,500 trailers to the fleet.

The Ontario-based grocer said removing diesel from its transport trucks and refrigerated trailers could reduce more than 94,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually, the equivalent of removing more than 20,000 cars from the road.

By 2030, Loblaw expects to have reduced emissions from electricity use by 35 per cent, transportation by 25 per cent, and refrigerants by 50 per cent.

First deliveries of the Tesla trucks are expected in 2019.
No price for the trucks was provided, but reservations for the Tesla Semi cost US$5,000 per truck.
Wal-Mart says it has also pre-ordered 15 vehicles, including 10 for its Canadian routes.

"We have a long history of testing new technology — including alternative-fuel trucks — and we are excited to be among the first to pilot this new heavy-duty electric vehicle," Wal-Mart spokesman Ryan Curell wrote in an email.

"We believe we can learn how this technology performs within our supply chain, as well as how it could help us meet some of our long-term sustainability goals, such as lowering emissions."

Tesla declined to identify any other Canadian buyers for the truck that it says can go from zero to 100 kph in five seconds without a trailer, compared to 15 seconds for a comparable diesel truck.

It says the Tesla Semi requires no shifting for smooth acceleration and its brakes recover 98 per cent of kinetic energy to the battery.
"Overall, the Semi is more responsive, covers more miles than a diesel truck in the same amount of time, and more safely integrates with passenger car traffic," it said on the company's website.

Tesla says that a fully loaded Semi consumes less than two kilowatt-hours of energy per mile and has a range of about 800 kilometres. That could save owners at least US$200,000 in fuel costs over 1.6 million km.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

"Covers more miles in the same amount of time?"

How does that work? Truckers are almost always up against the speed limit or their own truck's speed limiter; and their hours of service are limited by law.

How the hell does making the truck electric make it faster?

And honestly; what asshole in their right mind wants a truck weighing 20,000 lbs empty to do 0-60 in 5 seconds?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 18, 2017, 08:52:40 AM

And honestly; what asshole in their right mind wants a truck weighing 20,000 lbs empty to do 0-60 in 5 seconds?

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 18, 2017, 08:52:40 AM
"Covers more miles in the same amount of time?"

How does that work? Truckers are almost always up against the speed limit or their own truck's speed limiter; and their hours of service are limited by law.

How the hell does making the truck electric make it faster?

That faster acceleration will shave whole minutes off of a trip.  MINUTES!
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Tesla clearly has little idea of the duty cycle of a typical long-haul rig.  They do very little stop and go out on the highway, meaning that there will be little regenerative braking unless they are in a hilly area with a lot of downhills.  Something like a local delivery truck/van (like a Sprinter or UPS van) would be far better suited to all-electric.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

What's the range with a reefer trailer?  :hmm:

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 18, 2017, 09:38:15 AM
What's the range with a reefer trailer?  :hmm:

And would the refrigerator unit be electric as well, or diesel powered?
Needs more Jiggawatts

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 18, 2017, 09:39:17 AM
And would the refrigerator unit be electric as well, or diesel powered?

I thought they ran off a generator which ran off the engine?

2o6

OK, back to the Roadster - how on earth will this be reasonably safe at 250MPH? I can't picture aero being ideal for stability for this car.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 18, 2017, 09:44:23 AM
OK, back to the Roadster - how on earth will this be reasonably safe at 250MPH? I can't picture aero being ideal for stability for this car.

2000 lb battery pack is its downforce.