Luxury truck ridiculousness

Started by CaminoRacer, November 22, 2017, 10:05:03 PM

CaminoRacer

https://youtu.be/KF-N1naN1yE

Honestly I'd be kinda mad that the tailgate step and grab handle aren't power operated.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Pff, my A4 had visor mirrors that moved on a rail.  Taco has built-in extensions.

Sick rig, though.  These things really are huge...I remember the first time I detailed an F250...thought ahhh it's basically the same as an F150.  No, no...they're huuuuuuge.

If he did 5 seconds of research he'd know that only Fords have the keypad entry because they're the ones that patented it.  It's only been like that for...years. 1999.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2017, 10:20:52 PM

If he did 5 seconds of research he'd know that only Fords have the keypad entry because they're the ones that patented it.  It's only been like that for...years. 1999.

my 91 SHO had a keypad very similar to the ones still sold..
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 22, 2017, 10:56:16 PM
my 91 SHO had a keypad very similar to the ones still sold..

1999 was the latest patent filing I could find, but yeah, they've had the keypads for decades.  Wonder how they've continued to keep it for themselves.

2o6

I've always thought the keypad was a gimmick.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on November 23, 2017, 01:33:32 AM

My grandpa used his all the time. Always left the keys under the seat and used the keypad to get in.  It's slightly gimmicky, but when you want to utilize it, it's awesome. 

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

Holy shit.  $80k for a F150?  Not even a Super Duty with a diesel?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Submariner on November 23, 2017, 07:47:11 AM
Holy shit.  $80k for a F150?  Not even a Super Duty with a diesel?

Never mind.  He makes a mistake and calls it an F150.

He also makes other mistakes, like terrible delivery, having an awful voice, and making awful jokes. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on November 23, 2017, 01:33:32 AM

I thought so too, but it was before remote keyfobs when I had mine. It was glorious to lock the keys in the car and use the keypad to get back in when going to Physical Training. Others lost their keys on a run or hid them in the gas filler door or in a wheel...

You could also punch in the code then a number to unlock all the doors, or on mine punch in the code and a number to open the trunk.
AND one time I was sitting with the window open and a guy walked up and pushed two buttons and locked the doors. I didn't know it could do that, so that was cool.

Now it's kinda mostly useless with keyfobs......
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2017, 07:56:36 AM
Now it's kinda mostly useless with keyfobs......

That was my first thought. Back in the day it seemed useful since you didn't have to dig out the key to get in the door. Now they found a better solution

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 23, 2017, 07:21:46 AM
I could never remember the code.

Last 4 digits of your phone number was always a good go-to for the door code.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on November 23, 2017, 07:48:45 AM

He also makes other mistakes, like terrible delivery, having an awful voice, and making awful jokes. 

Yeah, he's surprisingly unknowledgeable for having driven and reviewed so many cars. I'm surprised he didn't realize the F150 mistake...like DUDE its right in front of you. Still, I did watch the whole video, so he got me... :lol:

CaminoRacer

He messed it up once. Not a big deal :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 23, 2017, 08:33:20 AM
He messed it up once. Not a big deal :huh:

I'd balk less if it wasn't within the first ten seconds though. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on November 23, 2017, 07:48:45 AM

We all can't be (and completely sell out like) Chris Harris
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Doug DeMuro is an idiot, or his audience are idiots, because he says some ridiculous things. It doesn't seem like he really knows anything about cars older than five years. I haven't watched this video (yet? maybe), but I predict he'll make it pretty clear that he has no conception of how these trucks are built to be used (even the stupid luxury ones).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

I posted the video because of the truck, not Doug. :huh:

Soup DeVille

The Ford keypad is good for leaving a car for someone else; or for going somewhere where you don't want to lose your keys; like swimming or naked jogging.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

All this Doug hate for nothing.  The guy is just a goofy dude that shows some of the more interesting features on new cars.  I don't understand why it gets you guys foaming at the mouth.  There's much worse on youtube
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 26, 2017, 04:23:04 PM
I posted the video because of the truck, not Doug. :huh:

The truck's an idiot too.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2017, 04:33:23 PM
All this Doug hate for nothing.  The guy is just a goofy dude that shows some of the more interesting features on new cars.  I don't understand why it gets you guys foaming at the mouth.  There's much worse on youtube

Because it was a 25 minute video with about 5 minutes of substance. Huge mirrors are not unique to luxury trucks or even heavy duty trucks; nothing about the size warrants obsessing over it for 10 minutes; etc. His car reviews are similarly useless, like he's never driven a fast car or an old car or an old fast car before.

Submariner

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2017, 04:33:23 PM

I hope Doug is run over by the same truck he can't even bother to review properly. 

68_427

The F150 has an even higher "Limited" trim level too.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no