Infiniti QX50

Started by 2o6, November 27, 2017, 06:19:53 PM

2o6

This naming scheme is so forgettable.

The car looks to be somewhat standout; it's the first iteration of that variable compression doodad.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/11/2019-infiniti-qx50-drops-curtain-variable-compression-engine-beats-efficiency-estimates/

GoCougs

Standout? Uglier. Slower. CVT. Hugely risky tech.

This looks like yet another ho-hum car from Infiniti.

Shame how far the Japanese have fallen behind.

12,000 RPM

This is 100% the right move. A little bummed that it's slower, but it's quick enough for a crossover. VQ guzzled gas and deserved to be put to pasture; interior volume is more important than a track honed RWD chassis in this class. Hopefully they make a Red Sport version with a little more zing but I'm with it. I think I'd still get an RDX over this though
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on November 27, 2017, 06:53:13 PM
Standout? Uglier. Slower. CVT. Hugely risky tech.

This looks like yet another ho-hum car from Infiniti.

Shame how far the Japanese have fallen behind.

The old OX50 was a dud

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2017, 07:36:20 PM

The old OX50 was a dud

Except for looks, performance and reliability/durability of course ;).

Just as the G37 was better than the Q50, ditto here.

2o6

I don't know, it was very small, dull looking, and a slow seller. I mean, the 3.7 was faster and the VQ is a generally solid motor, but the EX35/QX50 was such a non-product on many shoppers radars

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 27, 2017, 07:48:53 PM
Except for looks, performance and reliability/durability of course ;).
Which is why it was such a rousing success right? There's nothing the FM QX50 did better that matters, aside from accelerate faster.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2017, 07:54:04 PM
I don't know, it was very small, dull looking, and a slow seller. I mean, the 3.7 was faster and the VQ is a generally solid motor, but the EX35/QX50 was such a non-product on many shoppers radars

True, which makes this new QX50 look that much more dubious.

Something exceedingly mediocre like the X1 or GLA can be forgiven, even successful (in sales), because the American consumer aspires to own a BMW or M-B. Infiniti can't cash that check yet.

2o6

the GLA isn't all that great, but the X1 is a quality car. It's FWD and transverse design don't really matter to the consumer. The new X1 is much better than the old E90 based car.