C&D 2018 10Best Cars

Started by GoCougs, November 29, 2017, 04:01:06 PM

GoCougs

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-10best-cars-the-best-cars-for-sale-in-america-today-feature

Interesting, but no real explanation as to why certain trim levels (Corvette Grandsport and Audi RS3) were chosen vs. entire models (Camaro and VW Golf). Oh, well, decent read, though not as good as the analogous R&T piece a month or two ago. The winners, in alphabetical order:

Alfa Romeo Giulia / Giulia Quadrifoglio

Audi RS3

Chevrolet Camaro V-6 / SS / ZL1 Coupes

Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport

Honda Accord

Honda Civic Sport / Si / Type R

Mazda MX-5 Miata / RF

Mercedes-Benz E400 / Mercedes-AMG E43

Porsche 718 Boxster / Cayman

Volkswagen Golf / Alltrack / e-Golf / GTI / R / SportWagen

CALL_911

Is this the first year BMW has no representation on this list?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Like the M/T's (X)OTY award, this list has rings a bit hollow, albeit not to the same extent: "...and they must be a returning winner, all-new, or significantly revised..." I don't think this rule was always the case however.

The only BMW that qualifies this year is the M2/M240i (winner last year- nothing else all-new or significantly revised). No word I can see on why it didn't cut it - the new winners this year are the Guilia, E400/E43, RS3, and Civic Si/Type R.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on November 29, 2017, 04:31:30 PM
Like the M/T's (X)OTY award, this list has rings a bit hollow, albeit not to the same extent: "...and they must be a returning winner, all-new, or significantly revised..." I don't think this rule was always the case however.

The only BMW that qualifies this year is the M2/M240i (winner last year- nothing else all-new or significantly revised). No word I can see on why it didn't cut it - the new winners this year are the Guilia, E400/E43, RS3, and Civic Si/Type R.

Pretty sure it's always been that way? Or maybe they just had a nomination process that effectively made it so. It isn't really feasible to test every car on sale all at once every year.

MexicoCityM3

I think it's decades since there was a 10 best with no BMWs in it.

C&D truly hates BMW recently. Not so with other mags, especially the british ones. This month armt EVO the M2 got the usual M win against the boring (relatively) RS3.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: TBR on November 29, 2017, 05:05:49 PM
Pretty sure it's always been that way? Or maybe they just had a nomination process that effectively made it so. It isn't really feasible to test every car on sale all at once every year.

Those were the rules when I was a subscriber in the late 90s, so ~20 years or so at least.  C&D also puts a price cap on entries.  I think they cap it at 2x the average transaction price of a car in the US for the previous year.

Also, I think those limitations are pretty fair.  If a car wasn't good enough to make the cut in its first outing, and hasn't been updated in any way to make it better, why should it be considered in subsequent years?  Gives excellent cars a chance to stay on the list if they prove to still be the cream of the crop, unlike some other mags' xOTY which only considers new or heavily updated models.

This is the same logic as to why C&D frequently doesn't include past losers in comparos unless they've been updated since the last comparison.  You were at the back of the pack last time and the competition hasn't gotten any worse, so there's no sense in re-competing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Bleh, I don't see the point of the RS3 over the M2.  Also, as in Motortrend - I don't see the point of a car nobody would actually want to own (Alfa) bring on the list.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I have seen some Giulias running around.

Laconian

I haven't seen any Quadrofoglios around, but man, with all the reviews I've read I would really like to try one.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

I wanted to test drive a Gulia... When I couldn't manage to fit in the rear seat I just gave up
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: r0tor on November 30, 2017, 04:54:40 PM
I wanted to test drive a Gulia... When I couldn't manage to fit in the rear seat I just gave up
You was gonna drive from the back seat?  :mask:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 30, 2017, 10:46:00 PM
You was gonna drive from the back seat?  :mask:

4 door sedan is useless to me if I can't use the rear seats for the family... If I had garage room for a non family car, it would be a dedicated 2 seater

12,000 RPM

Yea... still hoping they use that platform and engine for the next Charger.

veeman

I'm glad BMW was left off the list for no other reason but to get American BMW execs to discuss.  It's a slap in BMWs face.  C&D is the highest circulation dedicated car mag in the United States. They may claim they don't care.  But they do. 

12,000 RPM

Well, if MCM's response is indicative of anything, BMW would rather question C&D's credibility than acknowledge they didn't make anything worthy of the list. I think the RS3 is a mistake; 2 series should probably have remained; but the days of the 3 and especially the 5 being shoo-ins is long gone. Neither are class benchmarks or head and shoulders above the competition as they were before; partially because of the stiffer competition but also partially because of..... I'll call it a "change in priorities" on BMWs part.

To be frank, this list was a lot easier when the gulf between the best and worst cars was much bigger. There are still some class standouts like the Accord, but in most segments cars have trended towards a shareholder & consensus driven mean.