An interesting electrical problem and the domino theory.

Started by shp4man, December 10, 2017, 12:16:49 PM

shp4man

A common issue with these year trucks, the lower steering column bearing in the old Chevy had failed years ago, making noise. The PO (previous owner) just kept running it because it's a real pain in the ass to change. So I figured out a way to put modern nylon bushings in it without ripping the column out of it and all the wiring and connections.
The white thing at the base of the column is the new bearing:

Two days later, I realize the damn horn quit working...shit. So I took apart the horn button and switch assembly and found the horn contact not working. Thought for sure it was the Chinese repro switch assembly, but not this time. Though about it a while, cussed a little bit. Finally figured out, said to myself "You dumbass! The rag joint is rubber".

:lol:

When I put the nylon bearing in, the steering shaft lost continuity to ground and the shaft connected button grounds the horn relay. And the fix:

Two hose clamps and a piece of wire! High tech as hell. The Domino theory!

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

As soon as you said "changed the bearing with plastic" and "horn stopped working", my first thought was that older vehicles frequently used the steering column bearing as a sort of electrical contract "brush" to ground the horn.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Quote from: Submariner on December 11, 2017, 07:08:43 PM
What are you planning on doing to/with the truck?

Right now, just keep it up as a driver. No hot rod/LS motor/lowered /22 inch wheel ambitions at all. I enjoy driving it on weekends and drive it to work a few times a week. It would cost at least $5K to restore the exterior and get it painted, but the patina look is in style now, so I left it.

giant_mtb

shp4man

AutobahnSHO

Will