Hybrids in Hilly Terrain

Started by Morris Minor, December 14, 2017, 06:13:04 AM

Morris Minor

I now live in very hilly area: narrow roads, very curvy, hairpins, steep gradients, speeds rarely above 35mph.

Wear & tear is high: you spend a lot of time on the brakes as you slow on a downhill, or for a curve, or for a stop sign at the bottom of a hill. And of course the transmission never gets a chance to stay long in any ratio; it's all upshifting & downshifting.

So things are very different from the flat suburban environment I was in before, & I've noticed my fuel consumption has increased.

Would a hybrid make sense? I know the stereotypical use case for them is that, to maximize their advantages, their best application is for heavy  stop-start urban traffic. But I'm thinking one would also work here: torquey electric motor for low speeds & all that regenerative braking.

Thoughts?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Payman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 14, 2017, 06:13:04 AM
I now live in very hilly area: narrow roads, very curvy, hairpins, steep gradients, speeds rarely above 35mph.

Wear & tear is high: you spend a lot of time on the brakes as you slow on a downhill, or for a curve, or for a stop sign at the bottom of a hill. And of course the transmission never gets a chance to stay long in any ratio; it's all upshifting & downshifting.

So things are very different from the flat suburban environment I was in before, & I've noticed my fuel consumption has increased.

Would a hybrid make sense? I know the stereotypical use case for them is that, to maximize their advantages, their best application is for heavy  stop-start urban traffic. But I'm thinking one would also work here: torquey electric motor for low speeds & all that regenerative braking.

Thoughts?

Weren't you driving a Prius?

Morris Minor

Quote from: Rockraven on December 14, 2017, 06:57:16 AM
Weren't you driving a Prius?
I was until about two years ago - it's now owned by my daughter out in Texas.

Payman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 14, 2017, 07:53:56 AM
I was until about two years ago - it's now owned by my daughter out in Texas.

Well, being one of the few here with real world hybrid experience, you're probably the best qualified to answer your own question.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Hybrid would certainly save on brake pad wear.  That said, while you will be reclaiming energy going down the hills, you'll be consuming it again when you inevitably go back up them on your return trip.  And your consumption should exceed your regeneration.

Most any modern, fuel injected engine I'm familiar with will basically shut the fuel injectors off under engine braking.  You should be getting pretty good mileage going down those hills unless your gearbox is holding a high gear or decoupling the torque converter and idling.  Manually selecting a lower gear, or just holding gear, should help fuel economy in that case.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

I'm intervening far more with the gear shifting that I did. The G37's transmission is not terrific at the best of times and it gets completely discombobulated in the terrain here. So I shift it in to "S" mode and hold gears on the downslopes to get engine braking. Nevertheless the brakes are taking a beating like they never had when I was in the suburbs.

So I was thinking the downhill regen would be a plus. However a hybrid's ICE still has to lug the motors & battery pack on the uphills.

Tave

Brakes are designed to bring a vehicle from 100mph  to zero multiple times a day for over 50,000 miles. The hills'o'Georgia shouldn't be having any noticeable impact on wear.

One common mistake people make while braking is to be too easy with them, causing them to both stay on brake for longer than necessary and give their strongest pulse at the end of the maneuver. What you want to be is firm, brief, and "lifting off" as opposed to "digging in."

Get a manual and don't worry about the brakes.  :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

My brother drove his Prius all around central WA, which is extremely hilly, and got great fuel economy. :huh:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I always get fantastic fuel economy when I drive through the Rockies.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Interesting question. Interesting results.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on December 14, 2017, 10:14:56 AM
Brakes are designed to bring a vehicle from 100mph  to zero multiple times a day for over 50,000 miles.
Not on a street car. I don't do that and my front rotors are toast after about 20% of that mileage.

I think this application would be perfect for a hybrid. There is a ~4 mile loop around my subdivision with no stop signs or lights, but a shit load of hills. I've got as much as ~50MPG in the G on that loop on fresh MPG reads. With what he will capture from regen he should be able to sip fuel and save his brakes. I think the hybrid move is the right one.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2017, 12:30:48 PM
Not on a street car. I don't do that and my front rotors are toast after about 20% of that mileage.

Rotors every 10k?  You really do drive like an asshat, don't you. :nutty: :lol:

Soup DeVille

Dragging brakes to maintain speed down a hill is one of the most surefire ways of burning them out quickly. Hell, it's one of the best ways to experience sudden brake failure.

There's a huge difference in the heat/cool cycle between a sudden stop from any speed and a slow grind down a hill.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 14, 2017, 12:43:56 PM
Rotors every 10k?  You really do drive like an asshat, don't you. :nutty: :lol:

Either he's really exaggerating, or you're 100% correct.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

A hybrid would work nicely. Plus, you could feel completely superior to those Neanderthals that drive lifted 4x4 diesel trucks.  :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: shp4man on December 14, 2017, 01:21:16 PM
A hybrid would work nicely. Plus, you could feel completely superior to those Neanderthals that drive lifted 4x4 diesel trucks.  :lol:

Lots of trucks around here. I'd have to put an NRA sticker on the back of my hybrid to ward off harassment from the wispy-beard-&-meth-mouth crowd.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2017, 01:09:24 PM
Either he's really exaggerating, or you're 100% correct.

Probably both.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2017, 01:07:38 PM
Dragging brakes to maintain speed down a hill is one of the most surefire ways of burning them out quickly. Hell, it's one of the best ways to experience sudden brake failure.

There's a huge difference in the heat/cool cycle between a sudden stop from any speed and a slow grind down a hill.

Reminds me of a vacation I took in Gatlinburg a couple of summers ago.  We were staying at a place right on the edge of town, right at the entrance to the Smoky Mountain Park.  All those lush pines, but all you could smell was burning brake pads from people riding their brakes down the long decent from the mountains into town.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on December 14, 2017, 06:40:12 PM
Reminds me of a vacation I took in Gatlinburg a couple of summers ago.  We were staying at a place right on the edge of town, right at the entrance to the Smoky Mountain Park.  All those lush pines, but all you could smell was burning brake pads from people riding their brakes down the long decent from the mountains into town.

:lol:

I've driven there and it's 5x worse between Park City and SLC, Utah. Sometimes you get inexperienced semi drivers that smoke up the entire canyon.
Will

Xer0

Just get a manual and engine that shit down.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on December 14, 2017, 07:19:04 PM
Just get a manual and engine that shit down.

Don't need a manual for engine braking, why do people keep repeating this?

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 15, 2017, 04:18:02 AM

Engine braking in most autos I've driven is far reduced compared to any MT car I've own.  If I let off the gas in my Jetta to try to engine brake, it will either upshift or outright decouple the torque converter so the only "braking" I get is from the rolling resistance of the wheels.  Even if I put it in Tiptronic and force it into a lower gear, the amount of braking is far less than I'd get out of any MT car I've ever driven.  I have to shift down into 2nd at 40 mph to get the same kind of engine braking that I'd have gotten in 3rd or even 4th in MT cars I've owned.
Needs more Jiggawatts

mzziaz

Bolt and the new Leaf regen makes brake wear a non issue. 
Cuore Sportivo

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 15, 2017, 04:18:02 AM
Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2017, 05:45:44 AM
Engine braking in most autos I've driven is far reduced compared to any MT car I've own.  If I let off the gas in my Jetta to try to engine brake, it will either upshift or outright decouple the torque converter so the only "braking" I get is from the rolling resistance of the wheels.  Even if I put it in Tiptronic and force it into a lower gear, the amount of braking is far less than I'd get out of any MT car I've ever driven.  I have to shift down into 2nd at 40 mph to get the same kind of engine braking that I'd have gotten in 3rd or even 4th in MT cars I've owned.

Somewhere I've read  few times that it's better to wear out your brakes faster than it is to put stress on your transmission from engine braking.  Is this not true?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on December 15, 2017, 08:03:44 AM
Somewhere I’ve read  few times that it’s better to wear out your brakes faster than it is to put stress on your transmission from engine braking.  Is this not true?

Hard shifts would be bad, it is indeed easier to change brakes than transmissions.

But if you shift properly (not slamming gears or massive downshifts at high RPMs) transmission should be fine. With bicycles and cars- always downshift before you need to.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2017, 05:45:44 AM

Yes, absolutely you need to shift down manually, be it tiptronic (useless in all forms), or regular AT.

Is it less? sometimes. Do you sometimes need to hit the real brakes to downshift, then let it ride? Yes; this is basic stuff though.

Who cares what gear you need to put it in? Unless you're going under about 10 MPH, there will be a gear that will hold you at a safe speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on December 15, 2017, 08:03:44 AM
Somewhere I've read  few times that it's better to wear out your brakes faster than it is to put stress on your transmission from engine braking.  Is this not true?

It's absolute balderdash.

Dangerous and irresponsible shite.

Morris Minor

Quote from: mzziaz on December 15, 2017, 06:55:26 AM
Bolt and the new Leaf regen makes brake wear a non issue. 
It's definitely an issue here: I know my brake rotors are starting to warp.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 15, 2017, 09:11:25 AM
Yes, absolutely you need to shift down manually, be it tiptronic (useless in all forms), or regular AT.

Is it less? sometimes. Do you sometimes need to hit the real brakes to downshift, then let it ride? Yes; this is basic stuff though.

Who cares what gear you need to put it in? Unless you're going under about 10 MPH, there will be a gear that will hold you at a safe speed

People tend to look at you funny when your car is winding out at 5K+ RPM as you coast to a stop?  There are a number of hills around here where I can downshift from 6th to 5th or 4th in my Mustang and hold speed down the entire hill without touching the brakes.  My VW won't, even when manually shifted into the lowest gear possible for the speed I'm traveling.
Needs more Jiggawatts