George Barris Custom Ferrari

Started by Payman, December 17, 2017, 09:55:08 AM

Payman

https://jalopnik.com/this-one-off-george-barris-kustom-ferrari-308-is-undeni-1821358268

Okay, Barris earned his fame with the original Batmobile, the Munster's car, and the Monkeemobile, but as a customizer, he sucked. The design and execution of his cars may be looked at as par for the course of the malaise era, but some tasteful cars by others of that era do exist. This vomit-inducing Ferrari 308 goes on the block at Barrett-Jackson in January.

I mean, my God.  :facepalm:

:wtf:

Payman

If you listen closely to this Ferrari V8, you can just make out "kill me now".

Soup DeVille

Ol George was never known for restraint. In all honesty he was never as expressive and original as other hot rod icons like Ed Roth either, but I'm not going to disparage this too much.

It hasn't aged well. But, this is a project outside of his main, executed with a certain (of objectionable 😬) sense of style.

He's done at least one other 308, which failed to generate many offers at auction a few years ago. I want to say that one was even worse.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

CaminoRacer

I like everything but the "gauges". The seats look nice, as does the body. I'd just change the paint color
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 17, 2017, 10:57:00 AM
I like everything but the "gauges". The seats look nice, as does the body. I'd just change the paint color

He didn't even get the Italian Tricolore right... its upside down.

GoCougs

It's rad for an early '80s throwback - remember, digital and buttons were just beginning to be all the rage.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on December 17, 2017, 01:22:11 PM
It's rad for an early '80s throwback - remember, digital and buttons were just beginning to be all the rage.

No shit, but quality in execution existed back then too. This is hilariously bad.

GoCougs

Meh, I see nothing wrong in execution; quality or workmanship. It was also noted that this was a personal he had until death, so this wasn't built to spec or for a customer.

93JC

The dash is hideous, but after clicking the link and looking at the photos of the outside... meh, it's a'ight. Not to my taste, but not something that would have me kvetching as it drove by.

12,000 RPM

Much 80s, very sepia. That gauge cluster is an abomination though
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ChrisV

Quote from: Rockraven on December 17, 2017, 09:55:08 AM

Okay, Barris earned his fame with the original Batmobile, the Munster's car, and the Monkeemobile, but as a customizer, he sucked.

Don't forget the large body of work that he and Sam did in the '50s and '60s, that was high quality and trendsetting:

yeah a lot of the stuff later was over-the-top show car craziness, like this:

but there was some cool cars in there as well.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on December 17, 2017, 06:36:56 PM
Meh, I see nothing wrong in execution; quality or workmanship. It was also noted that this was a personal he had until death, so this wasn't built to spec or for a customer.
Maybe no one wanted to buy it.  Some of his early stuff is great though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 18, 2017, 07:53:55 AM
Maybe no one wanted to buy it.  Some of his early stuff is great though.

Barris cars always found a buyer.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on December 18, 2017, 07:19:30 AM
Don't forget the large body of work that he and Sam did in the '50s and '60s, that was high quality and trendsetting:

Have a friend who inherited an early '50s Buick (I think, might be an Olds) convertible customized by Barris. It's one step up from these examples with a flame paint job and those small side pipes - even has a centrifugal supercharger. My friend's dad and his brother had it done in the late '50s. Unfortunately it's sat for some 40 years (inside luckily), so it would need a total rebuild to be put back on the street. My friend thinks it's worth a mint but I'm not so sure. Either way, it's an interesting piece of history. His plan is to sell it to a collector when he gets other affairs in order. It's something like this but red:

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

That '51 Merc is truly a work of art. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

That Ferrari is pretty bad, but I have a certain appreciation for the color scheme.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA