Jeep Cherokee Facelift

Started by 2o6, December 29, 2017, 08:20:46 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on January 05, 2018, 03:14:17 PM
So what is a body on frame 4 Runner going to do offroad that a "uniframe" Grand Cherokee isn't?

Depends. It's all about ground clearance, approach/depart, and any ability to lock up diffs.

MX793

GranCho's "uniframe" is every bit as capable as any production BoF rig.  But it was also designed to be rugged and off-road capable from the get-go.  It's not an LX platform with a lift kit, it's a dedicated SUV platform designed to be used for SUV things like towing and going offroad.  The Fiat compact and subcompact car platforms that underpin the Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee are not.  They are car platforms with a tall wagon body and a suspension lift.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Apparently OG Cherokee unibodies can get worn out faster than BoF vehicles.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

Quote from: veeman on January 05, 2018, 02:16:00 PM

Of all the cute utes out there, the current Cherokee (trailhawk version) and the Mazdas look the best to me. This updated one looks good. 

Jeep doesn't need to make it body on frame or otherwise increase it's off road chops.  No one uses these to actually off-road.  What they should continue to do is improve on road manners, transmission, etc.  FCA is never going to win any cute ute on road driving test with a Honda CRV and it's certainly never going to be as reliable as one. They're successful because the car looks cool and unique, Jeep has great brand pedigree, and your testosterone does not immediately plummet as happens when you daily drive a CRV (i'm just bullshitting on the last point but a masculine vehicle it is not). 

CRV is better looking than this or the last Cheraoke by a mile, plus anyone who would buy the inferior vehicle "because masculine" should see a doctor about testosterone levels.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 05, 2018, 03:14:17 PM

So what is a body on frame 4 Runner going to do offroad that a "uniframe" Grand Cherokee isn't?

Problem with the Grand Charaoke is it has no interior space (less than a compact sedan according to you), plus Jeep fit and finish, Jeep reliability, Jeep resale etc.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 09:36:10 PM

Problem with the Grand Charaoke is it has no interior space (less than a compact sedan according to you), plus Jeep fit and finish, Jeep reliability, Jeep resale etc.

They are pretty shitty inside.  I mean, you can polish a turd with options and leather, but they're still pretty cramped.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 09:34:45 PM

CRV is better looking than this or the last Cheraoke by a mile, plus anyone who would buy the inferior vehicle "because masculine" should see a doctor about testosterone levels.

The brand new CR-V looks like a frumpy bulldog up front. Blehhh. Needs some Botox.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 07, 2018, 12:42:21 AM
The brand new CR-V looks like a frumpy bulldog up front. Blehhh. Needs some Botox.

They look like the pathetic, Downsy breed of the dog world...pugs.  Thing looks like it already went face first into a wall.

veeman

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 09:34:45 PM

Trailhawk looks good plus Jeeps are cool.  CRV, the better car, is rarely bought because of how it looks. It looks inoffensive. If someone offered a choice of one of them for me, I'd be torn.  Depends how much shittier the on road drive is of the Trailhawk.  I haven't been in one. Ive been in a CRV and it drives real nice as a commuter car.

Lebowski

Quote from: veeman on January 07, 2018, 01:11:27 AM
looks good plus Jeeps are cool.  CRV, the better car, is rarely bought because of how it looks. It looks inoffensive. If someone offered a choice of one of them for me, I'd be torn.  Depends how much shittier the on road drive is of the Trailhawk.  I haven't been in one. Ive been in a CRV and it drives real nice as a commuter car.

They buy the CRV because it's the better product, in this case it just happens to also look better. That's not to say the CRV is gorgeous, but it's inoffensive and blends in, while the Charaoke is downright ugly.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 09:36:10 PM

The current 4 Runner is still about 90% the same as my father's old 2004 model was.  There is some dead on the vine bragging rights
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 06, 2018, 05:34:27 PM
Apparently OG Cherokee unibodies can get worn out faster than BoF vehicles.

I guess everything is relative, but probably not when compared to a similar year Tacoma
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 08:01:46 AM

The current 4 Runner is still about 90% the same as my father's old 2004 model was.  There is some dead on the vine bragging rights

The 2004 4runner too was and still is a better product than the Grand Cheraoke.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 08:23:00 AM

The 2004 4runner too was and still is a better product than the Grand Cheraoke.

Yea, it's fantastic except for it...

Rides worse
Worse fuel mileage
Less towing capacity
Decades old V6
Decades old 5 speed auto

Missed where this was ever a 4 Runner option
https://youtu.be/7R8grxnN_zM

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 08:46:50 AM

Yea, it's fantastic except for it...

Rides worse
Worse fuel mileage
Less towing capacity
Decades old V6
Decades old 5 speed auto

Missed where this was ever a 4 Runner option
https://youtu.be/7R8grxnN_zM

Why would anyone want a fast 4Runner?

All the above points are moot if your SUV has less usable space than a compact or midsized sedan, which you spent about 15 pages raging about.  Plus Jeep quality, reliability, depreciation etc.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 06:32:24 AM

They buy the CRV because it's the better product, in this case it just happens to also look better. That's not to say the CRV is gorgeous, but it's inoffensive and blends in, while the Charaoke is downright ugly.

Keep tellin yourself that, buddy. People buy CR-Vs because they've gone bankrupt.

Lebowski

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 07, 2018, 09:11:49 AM

Keep tellin yourself that, buddy. People buy CR-Vs because they've gone bankrupt.

CRV is out of my price range, I still lust for one but we ended up buying something used for a little over half the price.

One day ...

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 08:56:55 AM

Why would anyone want a fast 4Runner?

All the above points are moot if your SUV has less usable space than a compact or midsized sedan, which you spent about 15 pages raging about.  Plus Jeep quality, reliability, depreciation etc.

Of course nobody would want a 4Runner that fast... You would fly off the road and land in a tree at 100mph.

And your right - fuel mileage, comfort, style, and capability are completely not what a 4Runner shopper would be considering - only the rest of the SUV buyers in the world. 

Kind of hard to justify $40k+ for a 15 year old design dressed in a horrible interior/exterior.  I'm sure there has to be some kind of redeeming quality... Just not sure what it is though

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 07, 2018, 09:11:49 AM

People buy CRVs because they are too worried about their image to be seen in a minivan.

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 09:22:15 AM
CRV is out of my price range, I still lust for one but we ended up buying something used for a little over half the price.

One day ...

You guys picked the Lexus?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 10:22:46 AM
Of course nobody would want a 4Runner that fast... You would fly off the road and land in a tree at 100mph.

And your right - fuel mileage, comfort, style, and capability are completely not what a 4Runner shopper would be considering - only the rest of the SUV buyers in the world. 

Kind of hard to justify $40k+ for a 15 year old design dressed in a horrible interior/exterior.  I'm sure there has to be some kind of redeeming quality... Just not sure what it is though

Have you ever owned a Chrysler product? 

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 10:24:26 AM

People buy CRVs because they are too worried about their image to be seen in a minivan.

CRV is significantly smaller and doesn't even have a third row :huh:

It's not a minivan substitute.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 10:29:25 AM
Have you ever owned a Chrysler product? 

Umm last time I checked their is a 7 year old JGC in my driveway

Lebowski

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 10:31:07 AM
CRV is significantly smaller and doesn't even have a third row :huh:

It's not a minivan substitute.

Right... The Cute Ute craze was never started by self conscious minivan customers

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 10:32:07 AM
Umm last time I checked their is a 7 year old JGC in my driveway

No wonder you're so defensive about it.  Also not really sure why this digression began since this is a Cherokee thread, not a Grand Cherokee thread.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 10:22:46 AM

So why are you whining that it isn't an option?

I wouldn't be looking at 4runner class if gas mileage was primary concern.  JGC isn't something I'd even consider due to no space, not to menthon Jeep quality, reliability, and resale.  Makes a decent rental though.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 10:35:33 AM

Right... The Cute Ute craze was never started by self conscious minivan customers

People don't buy 5 seat CUVs to fill the role of 7-8 passenger minivans.

CUVs are popular because they have greater space/utility than sedans and better on road manners and economy than body on frame SUVs :huh:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 10:24:26 AM
And people who buy GCs aren't? :wtf: I don't think I've ever seen a JGC towing anything and plenty of people have RWD ones outside of the snow belt. You take that away, what's the utility of a JGC over a CR-V? :popcorn:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Speaking of towing capacity, Rotor do you have a boat?  What do you tow that made you bring up towing capacity?