Mercedes got Scrunched

Started by Morris Minor, January 03, 2018, 12:56:38 PM

12,000 RPM

What is the budget, that is the question

New Edge Sport with the biturbo V6 should satisfy the left and right brains
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Tint of any level on the front windows is illegal in Michigan, but there are no inspections and lots of tinted windows. Cops probably have better things to do, but I figure why should I give them an excuse.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Should I feel bad that when I was driving out to rescue my traumatized wife, rather than fretting about her welfare, I was 100% occupied with thinking through car replacement scenarios?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Lebowski

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 04, 2018, 03:27:37 PM

Haha I was looking at that possibility.
We have the M-B and the G37 - two right-brain cars. But since we moved we've realized that we need a left-brain boring vehicle that has space for loading up boring bulky stuff. Preferably it would have AWD. So we thought - trade in the G37 for an SUV, and keep the fun frivolous M-B. That's out of the window.

Maybe stick to the original plan, trade in the G for a mid-sized crossover and get a convertible. Perhaps the local Ford dealership would give us a deal on an Edge and a Mustang. Frankly it's all pie in the sky stuff now until we get the verdict on the broken

CRV or Pilot and a Miata.

CaminoRacer

Miata would be great if you don't need the backseat.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Here's another shot. I couldn't get under the car to see what's broken. But I'm guessing the wheel & tire (obviously), rear sway bar, upper mounts, possibly the driveshaft,  possibly the subframe at the upper mounts attachment points. There was no brake fluid leakage. Wifey said various warnings lit up the instrument panel like Times Square.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 04, 2018, 07:42:10 PM
Should I feel bad that when I was driving out to rescue my traumatized wife, rather than fretting about her welfare, I was 100% occupied with thinking through car replacement scenarios?

Nah, once you know she is ok, that provider instinct was kicking in. :lol:   Gotta keep her transportation options fresh!!!   :ohyeah:
Will

2o6

That's totaled.

Quarter Panel

Bumper Cover

Convertible top

Glass and window regulators

Shock, control arms (rear)

Wheel

Tire

Any electrical sensors

Diff and halfshaft

Paint

Labor

Frame righting

That's $9k minimum, I'll bet. I managed to do $4200 of damage to the Sonic back in august with a slow ass 5MPH hit that didn't break anything. (I drove it for a week before I dropped it off at the body shop)

r0tor

Quote from: Submariner on January 04, 2018, 12:09:35 PM
What about replacing it with a CPO E350 Cabriolet:

Listen to this!!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

I called the body repair shop - it's down to the insurance company, & nothing official but, as Kevin predicted, he said it's most likely totaled.
(He's owned the shop for years and this is the first CLK through there - he'd have to sub it out to an M-B shop.)

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 03, 2018, 06:28:50 PM
Sorry to hear!   I agree with Rich.

(tangent to your tangent, this year NY said you can't have tint more than 30% light blocking, so wife had to steam all the tint off the doors to pass safety inspection. It looks weird now. It was UT legal when it was put on years ago, and apparently good quality tint because it had been at least 4 years old...)

That's always been the law here, but now it's being enforced by NYS inspection.  Local places have tint removal + re-tint specials like my friend's shop will do it for $60 ish.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 15, 2018, 07:51:05 PM
Does the CLK still live?
No sir, we have just got formal word that the car's been deemed a total loss. We expected it but it's a bit depressing. So we are going to make a claim from the other party's insurance company for the inconvenience, hassle, &  opportunity cost of an unplanned car replacement. Anyone know if this requires a lawyer? We not looking for anything punitive.

Lebowski

No hassle at all, drive to the nearest Honda dealership and they can have you in a CRV soon enough to pick up groceries for tonight's dinner.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 16, 2018, 10:07:18 AM
No sir, we have just got formal word that the car's been deemed a total loss. We expected it but it's a bit depressing. So we are going to make a claim from the other party's insurance company for the inconvenience, hassle, &  opportunity cost of an unplanned car replacement. Anyone know if this requires a lawyer? We not looking for anything punitive.

they should give you a rental no question.

The rest you can negotiate when they try to settle.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: Lebowski on January 16, 2018, 10:14:25 AM
No hassle at all, drive to the nearest Honda dealership and they can have you in a CRV soon enough to pick up groceries for tonight's dinner.

:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 16, 2018, 10:07:18 AM

Depends on the state. In Michigan, you can file a mini-tort claim, but the damages are limited to what it take to cover your deductible (or $500 I think). It's a no hassle thing though, you basically call the other insurance company and tell them and they write you a check. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

My experience (a couple times) was that you don't have to take the first offer they give you.

Maintenance or upgrade documentation helps push the offer up.

With your situation they'll totally lowball but you could research yourself how much it REALLY costs to get an equivalent car and counter with that.
Will

Payman

This is a truck... from a company? Talk to a lawyer. Sister-in-law got sideswiped by a city truck (again no injuries, just "emotional distress") and got a $60,000 settlement. That's Boxster money.  :ohyeah:

CALL_911

Would you think about maybe a used Jaguar XK? Maybe a used 6-series convertible?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-6-Series-650i-Convertible-MSPORT/112757312072?epid=172972069&hash=item1a40dc0a48:g:cXcAAOSwlAZaXSjE&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-6-Series-650I-XDRIVE-M-SPORT-CONVERTIBLE/263206953759?epid=172968066&hash=item3d485b631f:g:JU0AAOSwkGVZupdh&vxp=mtr

Of course the E-class convertible/4-series would be the classic good answers but I figured I'd make some out of the box suggestions.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

Would love to get another convertible, but cashflow, financial prudence, & utility unfortunately dictate otherwise; we're going to get a mid-sized SUV.
This is such a pain in the arse:
- had to go out yesterday to retrieve our stuff from the wreck.
- gathering info about the car.
- Fedexing the title document.
- applying for a loan.
- finding a decent CPO vehicle.

Payman

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 17, 2018, 11:00:10 AM
Would love to get another convertible, but cashflow, financial prudence, & utility unfortunately dictate otherwise; we're going to get a mid-sized SUV.
- applying for a loan.

Andrew, I am disappoint.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2018, 11:28:33 AM
Murano Cross Cabriolet

+500    :lol:

(they're hard to find though, I look from time to time...)
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 17, 2018, 11:43:53 AM
(they're hard to find though, I look from time to time...)

I hope you're not serious.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2018, 11:28:33 AM
Murano Cross Cabriolet
My brother-in-law just bought a new Murano. It's nice on the inside, but I can't deal with the fugly exterior.

I said goodbye to the Merc yesterday, had to go & get the last of our stuff out of it. It's sitting in a wire-fenced field. The rain's still beading up on the paintwork that I claybarred & waxed a couple of months ago.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 17, 2018, 11:00:10 AM
- applying for a loan.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

If you're getting an SUV you know that a CR-V is the only Carspin Approved Choice.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)