2.0T + 10AT as base engine, V6TT in the future
SH-AWD!
Good looks

Depending on lease deals this could replace the MKX brand new. But no time soon

Show me the ILX now
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Technically this is a "Concept".

I don't know, it's as ugly/anonymous as the current model. Wouldn't get me out of my theoretical XC60 or Lexus NX

12,000 RPM

This has a way better drive/powertrain than either, along with a way better infotainment interface.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 15, 2018, 10:27:14 AM

Parts I care about:

2.0T + 10AT as base engine, V6TT in the future
SH-AWD!
Good looks

Depending on lease deals this could replace the MKX brand new. But no time soon

Show me the ILX now

Thank god they brought back SH-AWD.  I recall reading that this will be materially different from the CRV, which is really good news. 

Lebowski

Looks pretty decent. Is it CRV based (ie is interior and exterior space / dimensions about the same)?  I'd be curious to see if and how they can improve upon CUV perfection that is the CRV. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on January 15, 2018, 11:05:09 AM
Looks pretty decent. Is it CRV based (ie is interior and exterior space / dimensions about the same)?  I'd be curious to see if and how they can improve upon CUV perfection that is the CRV.
Acura is saying it's a platform "not related to Honda" but I think that's bullshit. It would make no sense for them to not base it on the CR-V. They are probably citing SH-AWD as the unique factor. Not sure why they would want to sever the link; CR-V chassis is from the gods.

2o6

I don't understand why they would unlink the RDX/CR-V either. It's prolly a really nice Civic chassis jacked up in the air.

2o6

Speaking of RDX, I straight up forgot the 1st gen existed

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on January 15, 2018, 10:28:41 AM

Honda concepts are usually pretty close to the final product.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Glad to see it's still being built with Supa Handuru AWD

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on January 15, 2018, 11:56:30 AM
I don't understand why they would unlink the RDX/CR-V either.

People don't want to pay big money for a Honda. They have to differetiate somehow?... 
Will

Lebowski

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 15, 2018, 06:30:18 PM

People don't want to pay big money for a Honda. They have to differetiate somehow?... 

From a branding perspective sure but if it truly is "unrelated" to the CRV platform that sounds odd. I'm guessing just a marketing spin.

SJ_GTI

IIRC SH-AWD really is a slick system, no? Better than the standard haldex type AWD systems for sure, and supposedly aas good as Nissan's system (ATTESA or something? basically can shift power side to side as well as front to back).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Lebowski on January 16, 2018, 07:26:51 AM
From a branding perspective sure but if it truly is “unrelated” to the CRV platform that sounds odd. I’m guessing just a marketing spin.

I would hope so, I can't see it making much economic sense to keep them separate and unrelated.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 16, 2018, 07:47:22 AM
IIRC SH-AWD really is a slick system, no? Better than the standard haldex type AWD systems for sure, and supposedly aas good as Nissan's system (ATTESA or something? basically can shift power side to side as well as front to back).

Yea it definitely helps the vehicle rotate and stay on its intended line. I imagine it can help with fuel economy too. I want to say it seems a little silly in a crossover, but with decent tires and suspension I think it can work for a street vehicle. Just thinking about the on/off ramps, diamond exchanges and roundabouts this would come in handy at.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 16, 2018, 08:17:14 AM
Yea it definitely helps the vehicle rotate and stay on its intended line. I imagine it can help with fuel economy too. I want to say it seems a little silly in a crossover, but with decent tires and suspension I think it can work for a street vehicle. Just thinking about the on/off ramps, diamond exchanges and roundabouts this would come in handy at.

I've driven a 1st gen RDX with SH-AWD.  It feels like a bigger, laggier EVO X as it powers out of a corner which is really cool.  Under power you have practically RWD dynamics.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on January 15, 2018, 10:28:41 AM

I don't know, it's as ugly/anonymous as the current model. Wouldn't get me out of my theoretical XC60 or Lexus NX

Doesn't that depend on how it drives? The XC60 is more luxury than sport, and the NX could have more mechanical sophistication and a much nicer interior.

My only RDX complaint would be some excess Mazda CX-5 emulation in the profile, but that's not a bad one to ape.

GoCougs

Honda TT V6 is super ultra relevant to my interests. Looks like it will be used throughout the Acura line for Type S models. About Jesus time - the J series is more than 20 years old and hasn't done squat in 10...

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 16, 2018, 07:47:22 AM

So SH-AWD has a torque vectoring rear differential, so it can send more power to the outside rear wheel to rotate the car.  It was fairly revolutionary when it came out.  The weak spot has always been the rather weak "center differential" (clutches in this application) and how much (and reliably) it can transfer power from front to rear.

There are a host of systems now that can do the same mechanical rear wheel torque vectoring and a ton more that simulate it with braking.  Some mechanical players include Audi, BMW, Porsche, Focus RS, LR Evoque, LR Disco Sport, ect most of which have a more robust rear power take off ("center differential").
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

It's possible that this generation of SH-AWD will have more robust center diffs now that TT V6s are in the mix. I imagine they've taken some learnings from the development of the NSX as well.

J series engine is OK. It's at least as powerful and/or as efficient as the current crop of 2.0Ts. It's just down behind other current 6 cylinder engines. Like the VQ (almost exactly actually) it's been due for an update. We will see how these turbo Hondas hold up but I am keeping the faith.

r0tor

Don't know, it just seems odd to me (or a marketing gimmick) to do all this work on a rear diff and combine it to a heavily fwd biased awd system.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on January 17, 2018, 06:49:21 AM
Don't know, it just seems odd to me (or a marketing gimmick) to do all this work on a rear diff and combine it to a heavily fwd biased awd system.

Don't forget the "acceleration device" on the RL versions of SHAWD that can overdrive the rear wheels over 5% versus the front wheels in addiction the the torque vectoring rear dif.  :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: 68_427 on January 17, 2018, 04:40:42 PM
Don't forget the "acceleration device" on the RL versions of SHAWD that can overdrive the rear wheels over 5% versus the front wheels in addiction the the torque vectoring rear dif.  :lol:

An overdrive unit for the rears? Cooooool

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2018, 04:56:14 PM
An overdrive unit for the rears? Cooooool

Yes.  Pretty sure it was RL/Legend exclusive
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Yet no super ultra magic handling all wheel drive Acura has ever beat an established RWD sports sedan in any comparo in the handling dept. Not BMWs, Infinitis, Audis or these days even Alfas or Mercs.

But I guess it is fantastic anyway.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 17, 2018, 05:36:49 PM
Yet no super ultra magic handling all wheel drive Acura has ever beat an established RWD sports sedan in any comparo in the handling dept. Not BMWs, Infinitis, Audis or these days even Alfas or Mercs.

But I guess it is fantastic anyway.

Pretty sure the last gen TL beat the B8 S4 and 335i in lap times in a C&D test.  That has the less sophisticated SHAWD as well.

EDIT:  NVM it beat the G37S, and 335i in laptimes, but was slower than the B8 S4.

It still came last in the test though for other reasons
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

You've seen the light

Earthdreams
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: 68_427 on January 17, 2018, 04:40:42 PM

I still can't even comprehend what that means... There only way the rears are going faster than the front is if they are slipping, but that's pretty much the story for anything with an open center diff.  Debateable if it can even send enough power to the rear to power oversteer...

Why spend so much time on the rear diff on a fwd biased awd... Makes no sense